This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Warning For Those Sexually Active

ruubato skies

ruubato skies Newbie

This is a difficult subject to talk about, and may be adverse to some reader's lifestyles. It is, however, definitely a source of gluten to watch out for in adults.

I have recently discovered that some of my favorite adult interaction products contains hydrolyzed oat protein. As most of us are probably familiar, this means that unless if was produced to be specifically contaminant-safe, it will cause reaction. And for some super-sensitive celiacs, this isn't even an option.

So, if I have discovered this problem, I cannot be the only adult facing these issues. Just like shampoos, lotions, and other cosmetics, be sure to check the ingredients on your cleaners and enhancers! I now know that Monica Sweethearts brand uses oat in their products, and I plan on doing further research into KY, Durex, and other popular brands.

Thanks, let me know if you have any other warnings/oks in this realm of products. Sexual health is difficult to talk about, but it is still health. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

This is a difficult subject to talk about, and may be adverse to some reader's lifestyles. It is, however, definitely a source of gluten to watch out for in adults.

I have recently discovered that some of my favorite adult interaction products contains hydrolyzed oat protein. As most of us are probably familiar, this means that unless if was produced to be specifically contaminant-safe, it will cause reaction. And for some super-sensitive celiacs, this isn't even an option.

So, if I have discovered this problem, I cannot be the only adult facing these issues. Just like shampoos, lotions, and other cosmetics, be sure to check the ingredients on your cleaners and enhancers! I now know that Monica Sweethearts brand uses oat in their products, and I plan on doing further research into KY, Durex, and other popular brands.

Thanks, let me know if you have any other warnings/oks in this realm of products. Sexual health is difficult to talk about, but it is still health. :)

Hydrolyzed (anything) protein is so processed that any offending protein would not survive.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hydrolyzed (anything) protein is so processed that any offending protein would not survive.

I have to respectfully disagree with this as do the medical references I have found. Here are a couple of links.

Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)

from the homepage here:

https://www.celiac.com/celiac-disease/forbidden-gluten-food-list-unsafe-ingredients-r182/

Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Pg-Propyl Silanetriol

Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch

Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Ingredients to AVOID (CONTAIN GLUTEN) This is from the University of Chicago Celiac center:

Open Original Shared Link

•Hydrolyzed oat starch, hydrolyzed wheat gluten, hydrolyzed wheat protein

OP thanks for the heads up on this.

Lisa Mentor

I have posted references in the past and it might take some time for me to find them. It's hard to keep up with science and I know that many references are not up to date, or up-dated currently. Until I find them...it's my understanding that during the hydrolyze(ing) process, the offending protein is separated and removed. Rendering it basically gluten free......uh, it's here somewhere in this endless archive....will go hunting. But, this is my take. :) I also respect others concerns.

Remember...things change quickly. Five years ago, a gluten free life was quite simple. Yeah for progress.

Open Original Shared Link - one quick example, but will find others.Open Original Shared Link

In this study, doctors evaluated the safety of daily administration of baked goods made from a hydrolyzed form of wheat flour to patients with celiac disease. The doctors fermented wheat flour with sourdough lactobacilli and fungal proteases; this process decreases the concentration of gluten.

A total of 16 patients with celiac disease, ranging in age from 12 to 23 years were evaluated. They were in good health on a gluten-free diet for at least five years. Two of the six patients who ate natural flour baked goods discontinued the study because of symptoms such as malaise, abdominal pain and diarrhea. The two patients who ate extensively hydrolyzed flour baked goods had no clinical complaints, but developed subtotal atrophy (complete absence of villi, the fingerlike protrusions necessary for absorption). The five patients that ate the fully hydrolyzed baked goods had no clinical complaints.

"Prolonged trials have to be planned to underscore the safety of baked goods made by applying the rediscovered and adapted biotechnology of hydrolysis. In the future, cereals made through such biotechnology could also improve the nutritional and sensory properties of baked goods containing hydrolyzed gluten compared to products made of naturally gluten-free ingredients," added Dr. Greco.

cassP Contributor

thanku for bringing it up and passing along that information! can never get enough info when it comes to gluten, seriously. hope people post more info!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have posted references in the past and it might take some time for me to find them. It's hard to keep up with science and I know that many references are not up to date, or up-dated currently. Until I find them...it's my understanding that during the hydrolyze(ing) process, the offending protein is separated and removed. Rendering it basically gluten free......uh, it's here somewhere in this endless archive....will go hunting. But, this is my take. :) I also respect others concerns.

Remember...things change quickly. Five years ago, a gluten free life was quite simple. Yeah for progress.

Open Original Shared Link - one quick example, but will find others.Open Original Shared Link

In this study, doctors evaluated the safety of daily administration of baked goods made from a hydrolyzed form of wheat flour to patients with celiac disease. The doctors fermented wheat flour with sourdough lactobacilli and fungal proteases; this process decreases the concentration of gluten.

A total of 16 patients with celiac disease, ranging in age from 12 to 23 years were evaluated. They were in good health on a gluten-free diet for at least five years. Two of the six patients who ate natural flour baked goods discontinued the study because of symptoms such as malaise, abdominal pain and diarrhea. The two patients who ate extensively hydrolyzed flour baked goods had no clinical complaints, but developed subtotal atrophy (complete absence of villi, the fingerlike protrusions necessary for absorption). The five patients that ate the fully hydrolyzed baked goods had no clinical complaints.

"Prolonged trials have to be planned to underscore the safety of baked goods made by applying the rediscovered and adapted biotechnology of hydrolysis. In the future, cereals made through such biotechnology could also improve the nutritional and sensory properties of baked goods containing hydrolyzed gluten compared to products made of naturally gluten-free ingredients," added Dr. Greco.

There is still much to learn about celiac and nothing is written in stone. I checked out the article and interestingly the article referred folks by a link to the AGA and when looking at the list of not allowed items we find...

Foods to avoid include:

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Thank you for posting. I would very much like to stay away from adult products containing hydrolyzed oat protein. Please report more when you find out more.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived