This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Today Is A Good Day And Tomorrow Will Be Better!

liss7217

liss7217 Newbie

For the past decade fitness, nutrition, and health have been my career and my lives passion. I pretty much breathed, slept, and read everything I could about exercise and nutrition because I loved it so much. I spent most of my time in the gym either training myself or my clients. Then about 3 years ago something started happening to my health. I was sick all of the time, I couldn't digest most foods, I suffered from major acid reflux, and I would run to the bathroom after I would eat certain foods. One of the worst symptoms out of the hundreds I was experiencing was I had gained over 40lbs. Some people may think 40lbs pound is no big deal but for me it was.

Not only my self esteem but now also my career as a personal trainer and nutritionist suffered, along with my health, and I felt completely depressed. We even moved 3000 miles away from our home so I could take a job working at a Wellness Center, thinking it t was going to cure me from this unknown ailment that had now ruined my life. Needless to say the center didn't cure me and I diagnosed myself with a gluten allergy less than a year ago. I was so sick for the pat few years and had so much pain in my body that I couldn't walk some days, none of my clothes fit, I didn't have a job, and was so isolated from the world I once new.

Only one thing stayed the same from the beginning to the end. I had a great boyfriend who loved me and supported me while I went to countless doctors, and frequently changed doctors because of the misdiagnoses I received. The hours that added up to days that I spent talking about health problems and doing research trying to figure out what was wrong with me could have drove anyone away, but all I cared about was being healthy again. The days that he had to push me on the grocery cart in the store or lift me out of the car cause I couldn't walk, were some very dark and lonely days for me, I had unwillingly become someone I had no control over.

Then things slowly started changing as I learned about Celiacs Disease and I stopped eating gluten, and I slowly started to regain my health. Anyone that does or has at one point felt hopeless like there is no light at the end of the tunnel know that life is not over. Even though it might change things for a while once you learn how to live your life being gluten free things gets better, your health improves, your depression goes away and you can actually feel the sun shining and the hear birds singing again.It doesn't mean that it is easy, it just means it gets easier and you have a better perspective on life than you did before, and now can appreciate the small things that you may have taken for granted....(like walking)!

Today I ran on the treadmill for the first time in who knows how long and this morning I fit into a pair of jeans that I haven't worn in over 2 years!!! I am finally well enough that we can move out of this place, and move on with our lives that have been stuck in limbo for so long. I know I won't ever be able to eat gluten again and dining out with friends with no worries is out of the question, so life is different now. Some things from my old life may never be the same, but I can now have some of my previous life back back like exercising and not feeling ill all the time, and I can work on building upon those things to start a new life.

I am so happy to share this good news because there is so much hope for all of us!!! Have a blessed day! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

What a great post. Thank you for sharing that story with all of us. We have all been there before (no energy, embarrassment, the mood swings, hair/skin issues, shedding of lean body mass). Luckily we figured out that gluten was our enemy.

Guess what? The days are going to get EVEN better with time. Your treadmill runs will get easier and longer. If you're lifting weights, you'll be able to lift more and do more reps. I know this sounds crazy, but the food tastes even better now that it did before my diagnosis. And, my family has owned prime steak restaurants for 25+ years. DAMN I am proud to be a celiac and a carnivore. And I just can't get enough fresh produce.

Here's the bad news. You're going to have to spend some money on new cloths that fit you (LOL).

Welcome to a whole new world.

liss7217 Newbie

What a great post. Thank you for sharing that story with all of us. We have all been there before (no energy, embarrassment, the mood swings, hair/skin issues, shedding of lean body mass). Luckily we figured out that gluten was our enemy.

Guess what? The days are going to get EVEN better with time. Your treadmill runs will get easier and longer. If you're lifting weights, you'll be able to lift more and do more reps. I know this sounds crazy, but the food tastes even better now that it did before my diagnosis. And, my family has owned prime steak restaurants for 25+ years. DAMN I am proud to be a celiac and a carnivore. And I just can't get enough fresh produce.

Here's the bad news. You're going to have to spend some money on new cloths that fit you (LOL).

Welcome to a whole new world.

Thanks for sharing my joy! I was back in the gym again this morning and it felt great! The really good news is that I didn't got rid of any of my jeans that used to fit me! I guess I was never really willing to except the fact that I was going to be sick and overweight for the rest of my life. Unfortunately many people just believe what the doctors says and except it. I am not saying that there are some brilliant doctors out there, but if I would have just listen to all the diagnoses and not researched on my own I would still be sick. I am very grateful for all I have learned about Celiacs and many of the the other conditions associated with it. Now I can share my knowledge with others who need help dealing with this!

Thanks again for responding to my post and making me feel even better than I already did! :D

joej1 Apprentice

Thats so emotional reading that. I think a lot of us can relate to similar experiences. I faced a ton of health problems myself for a few years. And my girlfriend was there for me the whole time with the doctors visits and talking about health all the time. Your story is so much similar to mine except for differing symptoms. I have been off gluten for 3 months and have had to go through some hard times as there is so much my body has to repair but I can vaguely see the "light" at the end of the tunnel you are talking about. Amazing.

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

I have actually been in the organic and all natural food business for over 15 years. And I have to give credit where credit is due -- to my VERY good friend who is a buyer for one of the nation's largest retailers.

When the doctors misdiagnosed me for over a year, HE was the one who suggested that I cut the gluten. What a savior.

You are right, most of us have figured this out on our own or had help from those not in the medical field. Keep the favors rolling to those who need the help. Karma will pay you back ten-fold.

Archived