This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Detox Symptoms

October3

October3 Explorer

Just wondering... I know with some other food intolerances the first week or so after elimination can be pretty terrible - symptoms can actually get worse for a few days while you detox. Should I be bracing myself for detox symptoms in my boys? My 6 yr old had a terrible night tonight (day 1 gluten-free) - major sugar cravings, snuck away and ate his entire easter bunny in 1 sitting after he had eaten as much candy as I would approve, then developed major meltdowns, then the worst stomach ache he's ever had. I know it could all just be the candy splurge but I'm wondering if its all connected to the diet. My 8 yr old hasn't seemed to have any detox symptoms yet but maybe I need to brace for a rough week? ( I already have lost my temper more than once tonight - thinking I might need to implement some serious stress reduction if this is just the begining or many more nights).

What has been your experience with how your body reacts initially to the diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kim69 Apprentice

It must be hard getting the kids to go gluten-free. It's hard and you really do miss favorite flavored and textures especially bread. Are you on the gluten-free diet too?

I didnt have any worsening symptoms but certainly I felt hungry. I don't remember having and cravings except for bread! How about you make some yummy gluten-free pizzas to ease the pain? They are easy and taste great!

cahill Collaborator

Just wondering... I know with some other food intolerances the first week or so after elimination can be pretty terrible - symptoms can actually get worse for a few days while you detox. Should I be bracing myself for detox symptoms in my boys? My 6 yr old had a terrible night tonight (day 1 gluten-free) - major sugar cravings, snuck away and ate his entire easter bunny in 1 sitting after he had eaten as much candy as I would approve, then developed major meltdowns, then the worst stomach ache he's ever had. I know it could all just be the candy splurge but I'm wondering if its all connected to the diet. My 8 yr old hasn't seemed to have any detox symptoms yet but maybe I need to brace for a rough week? ( I already have lost my temper more than once tonight - thinking I might need to implement some serious stress reduction if this is just the begining or many more nights).

I went thru withdraw and intense cravings,I was EXTREMELY emotional , my symptoms seemed to intensify, I was STARVING all the time.

It may be a rough week or so . (( HUGS)) to you and your children.

srall Contributor

I just went grain free (gluten free a year ago) and was surprised to be going through a detox again. You sort of forget.

I took my 7 year old gluten free last October and I honestly don't remember too many detox symptoms with her. She was so so sick that she only seemed to improve. However, I wonder if she could really verbalize what was happening with her body, if she'd tell you another story.

Personally I'm back dealing with insane hunger even though I'm eating every couple of hours, body aches, fatigue, the lovely brain fog...so detox symptoms are real, I just wonder if kids are different from adults? You could go on the parents of kids with celiac board and do a search...I'm pretty sure that topic has come up before. Good luck taking him gluten free. It's been so worth it for our family.

October3 Explorer

Interesting that you both mentioned the insane hunger. I thought when I did it a few years back that it was truly not getting enough calories. I tried to eat as much as I could but I actually lost 25 or 30 lbs in a few months and didn't have much to loose to begin with. But when I did it I was top 8 + corn free all at the same time so it was a big adjustment, and I was nursing an infant so I blamed all of that for the hunger. But then I went gluten-free again a year or so ago and experienced the hunger again. It didn't make sense to me that time because I really thought I was still eating about the same in terms of caloric intake. So maybe it actually is a detox symptom rather than lack of adequate calories?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Rather than detox it is likely to be withdrawl. Celiac can have neurological impacts and we can be addicted to it and go through some really moody days when we first go gluten free. Being very hungrey is also normal. The body on gluten is being deprived of the nutrients it needs and when we go gluten free the constant hunger is the bodies way of trying to get those nutrients. Yes you may be in for a rough week. Try to be patient with the kids and perhaps offer more nutritious 'treats' than you would normally allow. Perhaps even make a batch of chocolate gluten free cupcakes or cookies to help get them through the withdrawl phase without feeling like they are being deprived. If there is stuff they like to do that might distract them, like a trip to the park or a movie etc that might help also.

srall Contributor

Rather than detox it is likely to be withdrawl. Celiac can have neurological impacts and we can be addicted to it and go through some really moody days when we first go gluten free. Being very hungrey is also normal. The body on gluten is being deprived of the nutrients it needs and when we go gluten free the constant hunger is the bodies way of trying to get those nutrients. Yes you may be in for a rough week. Try to be patient with the kids and perhaps offer more nutritious 'treats' than you would normally allow. Perhaps even make a batch of chocolate gluten free cupcakes or cookies to help get them through the withdrawl phase without feeling like they are being deprived. If there is stuff they like to do that might distract them, like a trip to the park or a movie etc that might help also.

You are probably right about the withdrawal. I think I'm using "detox" and "withdrawal" interchangeably. However when I went gluten free a year ago (as opposed to grain free now) I had really freaky symptoms....more like a detox. My skin was completely wrecked and the stuff that came out of other parts of my body was disgusting...it really did seem like my body was purging poison.

But again, I haven't heard too many stories about kids going through this. But I have heard of kids also getting very hungry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

October3 Explorer

Good suggestions on the yummy foods everyone! I think I was using detox and withdrawal interchangably as well.

Yesterday and this morning were pretty good for both boys, although my husband made them waffles for breakfast in the glutened toaster - don't know if that would be enough to stave off withdrawal symptoms or not.

Will see what the weekend brings.

Chad Sines Rising Star

Good suggestions on the yummy foods everyone! I think I was using detox and withdrawal interchangably as well.

Yesterday and this morning were pretty good for both boys, although my husband made them waffles for breakfast in the glutened toaster - don't know if that would be enough to stave off withdrawal symptoms or not.

Will see what the weekend brings.

part of me wonders if the detox feelings aka fatigue and brain fog is from the body finally having a chance to being to heal itself so it is just doing so as quickly as possible.

momof2peanutz Newbie

Just want to say - great job in moving them toward a gluten free diet. I switched my kids over as soon as I heard a connection btw. ASD (autism spectrum disorder) and wheat/dairy sensitivity.. They are 3 and 1, so obviously I can control their diets, HOWever... My 3-yr-old has extreme behavior issues when he eats gluten as well as dairy and artifical food dyes. Both my kids rarely smile or make any eye contact whatsoever when they are on any of these things. And they're ADHD on these foods, also..

if my son gets ahold of something w/ these things - he is OFF THE WALL. Screaming, not sleeping, constant whining, etc etc.. screaming and more screaming. -Which of course makes me want to scream.

When this occurs, best thing I can implement is a "run around" diet.. just get his little butt out runnin in the yard or ANYwhere. Sensory issues come into play here, so although you're kids are older, if they're having behavior issues, swinging them in a blanket helps calm them down very well... also wrapping snugly and hugging them in a soft blanket.. massaging their feet, shoulders if they let you.

Not sure if this helps or applies, but I feel you sister!

After my kids r off these foods for a day or two, they are practically completely fine. Also, smiley, loving, affectionate, give eye contact, give kisses (unsolicited), calm and they learn better also.

Wishing you strength and lots of patience!

(())

October3 Explorer

Just want to say - great job in moving them toward a gluten free diet. I switched my kids over as soon as I heard a connection btw. ASD (autism spectrum disorder) and wheat/dairy sensitivity.. They are 3 and 1, so obviously I can control their diets, HOWever... My 3-yr-old has extreme behavior issues when he eats gluten as well as dairy and artifical food dyes. Both my kids rarely smile or make any eye contact whatsoever when they are on any of these things. And they're ADHD on these foods, also..

if my son gets ahold of something w/ these things - he is OFF THE WALL. Screaming, not sleeping, constant whining, etc etc.. screaming and more screaming. -Which of course makes me want to scream.

When this occurs, best thing I can implement is a "run around" diet.. just get his little butt out runnin in the yard or ANYwhere. Sensory issues come into play here, so although you're kids are older, if they're having behavior issues, swinging them in a blanket helps calm them down very well... also wrapping snugly and hugging them in a soft blanket.. massaging their feet, shoulders if they let you.

Not sure if this helps or applies, but I feel you sister!

After my kids r off these foods for a day or two, they are practically completely fine. Also, smiley, loving, affectionate, give eye contact, give kisses (unsolicited), calm and they learn better also.

Wishing you strength and lots of patience!

(())

Thanks so much for the suggestions! My daughter (age 3) does not have ASD but does have a lot of sensory issues and your description of your kids sounds so much like her when she has a soy exposure. Just an entirely different kid. It's crazy! Funny you mention the swinging in a blaket because that was the only way to settle her down Thursday night after she had 1 piece of candy with soy lecithen in it (last ingredient).

mamastinky Newbie

I have seen the same thing with my 10-year-old. It appears to be withdrawal, especially because on days he eats gluten he later becomes weepy, mopes, and has such terrible cravings that he will refuse offers of anything without wheat, even if it is something that he normally loves. He will ask repeatedly for sandwiches and pizza, then sulk for an hour, ask again, cry, etc.. he gets sniffly, too. By his second day off, he has stomachaches, lethargy, and he cannot breathe through his nose. This has been back and forth for a few weeks; we just noticed it.

It took me two weeks before I could pass up wheat without a second thought. I think that after the first 3-5 days, however, it should get easier. I have read that quitting gluten can be identical to opiate withdrawal. I had cravings, mood swings, irritability, headaches, and fatigue.

Melissaann829 Apprentice

I went through several weeks of hell after going gluten free. I had a variety of painful detox symptoms. It was terrible. My whole body ached and my feet would get sharp, shooting pains. All of this calmed down eventually but for many weeks, I dealt with rashes, pain, cysts, you name it.

windee Rookie

I was starving for a week or so and go through it a few months in. I did have a horrible headache for almost 3 weeks.

Archived