6 replies to this topic

#1 anna34

anna34

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

Does anybody know if there is a connection between celiac and egg allergy?

Is there an explanation as to why someone could eat eggs cooked one way, but not another way?
blood test "borderline" (February 2011)
no further testing
gluten-free (March 2011)
positive response

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 WinterSong

WinterSong

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

I've heard that people with Celiac are prone to other intolerances, and eggs are one of them.

Interesting you ask your second question - I've found that I can't eat eggs on their own (hard boiled eggs gave me horrible acid reflux), but I'm okay when they're used in baked foods like bread and cupcakes (gluten-free of course!).

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#3 koolkat222

koolkat222

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

I've heard that people with Celiac are prone to other intolerances, and eggs are one of them.

Interesting you ask your second question - I've found that I can't eat eggs on their own (hard boiled eggs gave me horrible acid reflux), but I'm okay when they're used in baked foods like bread and cupcakes (gluten-free of course!).

Same here! I get a bad tummyache with plain eggs of any kind. I'm fine if they are an ingredient in something though. Didn't realize others experienced this as well. :D

#4 jbunds

jbunds

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

wow im so glad i found this site! i also cant eat eggs, but i am not sure about in baked goods i havent really experimented with that i will have to give it a go! i havent been able to eat wheat for about 4 1/2 years now, and the egg thing is fairly new. i also cant eat rice or dairy! but i am going to try to reintroduce these things back into my diet eventually!

#5 Cinderella10

Cinderella10

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

So far, I'm the same -- don't do eggs, but can have them in baked goods. What I'm wanting to find out now is whether I can have them as part of something similar to a frittata.
Celiac dx May, 2009 via bloodwork

Allergy testing done 10/7/10, responded to:

Beef, Chicken, Eggs (White & Yolk), Milk, Bananas, Carrots, Corn

I'm currently working on an elimination diet to figure out what are actually problems and in what amounts.

#6 ecf

ecf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

Is there an explanation as to why someone could eat eggs cooked one way, but not another way?

Hi anna, are you talking about anaphylaxic egg allergy or egg intolerance?
As far as I know, there is no proven connection between anaphylaxic allergies and celiac disease.

As far as intolerances go, the reason some people might tolerant eggs in baked goods, but not in other forms, is that the amount of egg in a baked good might be relatively small in comparison.

#7 myers1978

myers1978

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

It has been said that celiac can lead to other intolerances, like dairy, egg, etc...

I for one have no problem with eggs, but I do have a problem with highly carbonated soda's. To each their own, but if you find that something consistently causes you problems, it is best to steer clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: