6 replies to this topic

#1 catarific

catarific

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

I am finally on the road to healing.....

I am hoping that those who are undiagnosed are reading this because it may help you find some answers and some relief....

I am sure many undiagnosed diarrhea sufferers do not know that their D may be caused by bile salts leaking into the intestines. Diet will not cure this - the only thing that will is medication and that medication is either Cholestyramine which is powder form or Welchol (pill form). I know some will say that this is defined as Habba Syndrome - but not all forms of bile leakage are categorized as this syndrome. My Gastroenterologist explained that this is fairly common and is easy to take care of and is not really anything to be alarmed over.

What you will need to do is first have a colonscopy and endoscopy to rule out Celiac, Colitis, IBD, or Crohns disease. Blood work is also necessary and stool samples. If all come back negative - then you may be suffering from Bile Salt leakage or possibly Habba Syndrome or even gallbladder disease. This condition is also very prevalent to those who have had their gallbladders previously removed. Trust me when I tell you it is well worth looking into. I have suffered for months and am finally beginning to see some positive results. I am still thin at 98 lbs. (lost a lot of weight with this) but am hoping to soon put some back on. I did notice that I am not having digestive issues (malaborbtion) and the diarrhea is much, much less than before. I asked the doctor how long I would have to continue the medication - he said probably around a year until everything returns back to the way it should be. I must say - I can now eat many of the foods I had sensitivities and/or intolerances to - which were many.

So if you are really suffering from undiagnosed diarrhea - do look into this.

I hope that I am still welcome to post here - because the members in this forum are the greatest and most supportive people I have ever met! Thanks so much for all your help - it is so very much appreciated! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

I am so very happy for you that you have an ANSWER to your persistent D. This is Fantastic!!

That is interesting that your food intolerances are less.

It was very good of you to post this information because there are MANY who still suffer chronic D and maybe this will be an answer for them as well!

In fact, I know one who has been suffering for several weeks..I'll direct her to this post!!

Please, do stay on the forum. :) I agree--these are the most supportive, knowledgeable and encouraging people I have ever met!

I hope you feel better soon and put on some weight. :) You can enjoy eating again..hooray!!
I wish you all the best!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

Wonderful news, to have solved the mystery. :) That is not something I had ever heard of so I guess many of us will have learned something today. Thanks for sharing. At least all your celiac investigations allowed them to rule lots of things out so they could look for something else :D I am happy for you.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Dee777

Dee777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:47 PM

I am finally on the road to healing.....

I am hoping that those who are undiagnosed are reading this because it may help you find some answers and some relief....

I am sure many undiagnosed diarrhea sufferers do not know that their D may be caused by bile salts leaking into the intestines. Diet will not cure this - the only thing that will is medication and that medication is either Cholestyramine which is powder form or Welchol (pill form). I know some will say that this is defined as Habba Syndrome - but not all forms of bile leakage are categorized as this syndrome. My Gastroenterologist explained that this is fairly common and is easy to take care of and is not really anything to be alarmed over.

What you will need to do is first have a colonscopy and endoscopy to rule out Celiac, Colitis, IBD, or Crohns disease. Blood work is also necessary and stool samples. If all come back negative - then you may be suffering from Bile Salt leakage or possibly Habba Syndrome or even gallbladder disease. This condition is also very prevalent to those who have had their gallbladders previously removed. Trust me when I tell you it is well worth looking into. I have suffered for months and am finally beginning to see some positive results. I am still thin at 98 lbs. (lost a lot of weight with this) but am hoping to soon put some back on. I did notice that I am not having digestive issues (malaborbtion) and the diarrhea is much, much less than before. I asked the doctor how long I would have to continue the medication - he said probably around a year until everything returns back to the way it should be. I must say - I can now eat many of the foods I had sensitivities and/or intolerances to - which were many.

So if you are really suffering from undiagnosed diarrhea - do look into this.

I hope that I am still welcome to post here - because the members in this forum are the greatest and most supportive people I have ever met! Thanks so much for all your help - it is so very much appreciated! :)

Thank you for taking the time to post your story. I have been suffering with the big D as I like to call it for a solid month... and it has been in a very BIG way. I have rarely left my home, and on the rare instances I have had to it was with a severely dehydrated body as if I drank anything well, it went right through. And through, and through, and through :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac with a simple blood test, did not have the biopsy but did have a colonoscopy. I am currently finishing off the stool samples, tomorrow is my last one. The Big D started all of it's own accord about 2 months after being strictly gluten free. We are not certain why this is, but several people whom I am in touch with who have Celiac's tell me this is not normal to have it so severe for such a prolonged time. I am having trouble getting in to see a gastroenterologist.

Your post was brought to my attention by Irish Heart, another member in here. I, in turn, told my GP about your case today, and he gave me a prescription for Cholestyramine to try. He said it can't hurt. I have not picked it up yet, but I think I may try it and see, but will wait for the stool samples to come back first.

I wanted to be sure to thank you for your post, as I found it very interesting and perhaps it will be helpful in my eventual for-sure diagnosis. Thank you again, this place is all about us helping each other when we have nowhere else to go and the ones who have never suffered from the symptoms we do have no real understanding of our gripes and complaints! I hope to hear more of your progress here in the future, and I wish you the best of luck and a most speedy recovery!

Dee

#5 catarific

catarific

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

Please keep us posted and let me know how the medication works for you. Just a side line - you may find you have a lot of gas with this - but that sure beats the alternative :)

Lots of luck and hoping the big D is alleviated.

Hugs,
Sue aka Catarific

#6 Dee777

Dee777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:44 AM

Please keep us posted and let me know how the medication works for you. Just a side line - you may find you have a lot of gas with this - but that sure beats the alternative :)

Lots of luck and hoping the big D is alleviated.

Hugs,
Sue aka Catarific

Thank you, Sue! I will be certain to let you know!

Dee

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:58 AM

Hope this med works for you, Dee! :) Fingers crossed!! Let us know.

Sue, it was so good of you to post your experience.

We never know who we touch when we reach out.... :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: