This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Test Result Interpretation

SoUnsure

SoUnsure Newbie

Okay, I received some results back from my blood test today, and I could really use some help, because I am so confused. I asked for specific numbers, and here is what they gave me:

IgA - 335 (she told me normal was 68-378, but I am very confused by this, as everything I have read doesn't match up with these numbers at all). Also, what does this mean? It is in the normal range, but the high end...?

tTG - 6

And that is it. Should they have run something else? I could go into my whole list of symptoms, but I just don't have the time right now, but I could really use some advice. My mother does have Celiac's. That, along with the fact that I have had some symptoms, is what made me decide to get tested. According to my dr. the results were "negative" - I just want to ensure that truly is the case. I've learned through the years that a lot of drs do not seem to know what they are talking about.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hello, and welcome.

You need to get the normal and abnormal ranges for the tTG from your results to be able to judge what a score of 6 means. Each lab has a range for the scores, e.g., <5 = normal, 5-8 = mildly positive; >9 = positive. as a hypothetical example. As a matter of course it is a good idea to always get a copy of any test results because things often get overlooked and anything just a little bit positive is called negative, etc.

As for the IgA score, that is a measurement of your total serum IgA to make sure that you produce normal quantities of antibodies, which you do. If you were a low IgA producer it would invalidate any IgA testing and they would have to run the IgG versions of the tests.

There are other blood tests in the celiac blood panel but many doctors order only the tTG because they have learned in medical school that this is the most likely to detect celiac because it is a measure of the tissue reaction to gluten. The EMA and the DGP are more sensitive to gluten antibodies, but are not ordered very often unfortunately. If your mother has celiac disease and you have many of the symptoms I would ask the doctor to run the other tests.

busymomof5 Newbie

Mushroom is right. You need the reference range for the Ttg test. Let us know when you find out what it its.

SoUnsure Newbie

Ok, the normal range for the Ttg was 0-19. Does that seem like a big range? What are the norms for these tests based off of? I keep reading that different labs use different ranges - how do they set those? I do plan on picking up copies from the dr. - anything else that I should specifically be looking for?

I guess based on what I know right now, it looks like Celiac's is negative. On the one hand, I am relieved - I was a kid when my mom was diagnosed, I know first hand what a life changing experience it is. However, I guess I'm also a little disappointed. In a way I was looking for an answer...

Thanks for your responses, I really do appreciate it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If those are the only tests they ran then you need to go back and ask for a full celiac panel. One of the newest and better tests is the DGP that was mentioned and an antigliadin IGA and IGG wouldn't be a bad idea either. False negatives are not uncommon so do try the diet when all your testing is finished. If you are having problems that seem celiac related and your Mom is a diagnosed celiac there is a good chance that you may be one also even if test results are negative.

Archived