9 replies to this topic

#1 jstwnttbhealthy

jstwnttbhealthy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

any of those ingredients give me a headache. as i understand they have msg in them which i'm very sensitive to. i would love to know if there is a bread i can buy that does not have them.

thank you.
Elisabeth

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lizard00

lizard00

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

Ok, I've been searching for 10 or 15 minutes trying to find any information regarding this, but I can't find any. SO, can you post a link or source info regarding there being MSG in the above products?

As an aside- I did find one *remotely* associated blurb saying that xanthan could have free glutamates because it is a corn product (though it is so highly processed that it tests out to be corn-free.)

thanks! :)
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#3 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

I hope not! And here I thought they were safe. jeeez!

#4 jstwnttbhealthy

jstwnttbhealthy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

Ok, I've been searching for 10 or 15 minutes trying to find any information regarding this, but I can't find any. SO, can you post a link or source info regarding there being MSG in the above products?

As an aside- I did find one *remotely* associated blurb saying that xanthan could have free glutamates because it is a corn product (though it is so highly processed that it tests out to be corn-free.)

thanks! :)

here is the link to hidden names for msg: http://www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm
this is their main website: http://www.msgmyth.com/
among them it lists gums. i really believe that they do have msg in them because it never fails that i will get a two day headache and depending on the amount i ingest i can get a full blown migraine headache with D and just feeling like curling up and dying. i wish it wasn't the case because i really have some awesome bread that i would love to eat. thank you for replying.
Elisabeth

#5 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

You probably need to start baking your own bread to avoid all those. i can't handle MSG either and carragenan gives me headaches but I have no trouble with the gums.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

here is the link to hidden names for msg: http://www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm
this is their main website: http://www.msgmyth.com/
among them it lists gums. i really believe that they do have msg in them because it never fails that i will get a two day headache and depending on the amount i ingest i can get a full blown migraine headache with D and just feeling like curling up and dying. i wish it wasn't the case because i really have some awesome bread that i would love to eat. thank you for replying.

I looked at the list and did not find Xanthan gum on it. Are you new to the diet? If you are have you changed to a new toaster and are you avoiding sharing condiments and stuff like nut butters, jellys etc with gluten eaters. The reaction you are describing would be the same as I would get with gluten cross contamination. May not be the case for you but thought it should be mentioned.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 jstwnttbhealthy

jstwnttbhealthy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

I looked at the list and did not find Xanthan gum on it. Are you new to the diet? If you are have you changed to a new toaster and are you avoiding sharing condiments and stuff like nut butters, jellys etc with gluten eaters. The reaction you are describing would be the same as I would get with gluten cross contamination. May not be the case for you but thought it should be mentioned.

i've read it as all gums, besides the ones in parantheses. and xanthan gum will give me the same headache as all the others :(
not new to the diet. been gluten free now since june 2010. so almost a year. before that i was gluten free for about 5 month but then did a 2 week gluten challenge. our whole household is gluten free (just my husband and me). i don't eat out because of the gluten and msg. gluten does not give me this reaction. no headache at all, just joint pain and constipation.
Elisabeth

#8 jstwnttbhealthy

jstwnttbhealthy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

You probably need to start baking your own bread to avoid all those. i can't handle MSG either and carragenan gives me headaches but I have no trouble with the gums.

i'm not much of a baker or cook. my oven is being used as storage :blink:
even then, i think every recipe has gum included. i wonder what would happen if you just leave it out?
Elisabeth

#9 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

I think they help the bread to rise. It would be a denser loaf, but doable.

I just recently learned of the carageenan connection myself. It makes me sick. I always used cream in my coffee and had headaches. Less headaches gluten free, but MSG and carageenan do give that headache back to me.

Interesting to see it does that to others too.
Thanks for that info.

I just gave up bread and went Paleo instead of baking my own.
OK, so I'm Paleo with Snickers now and then. But getting there.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#10 jstwnttbhealthy

jstwnttbhealthy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

I actually prefer denser bread :) that's what i grew up with in germany.
i'm more afraid of the msg than the gluten because of the painful consequents. i'm not much of a meat eater.
Elisabeth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: