6 replies to this topic

#1 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

I started going to a new church a few weeks ago and took communion today. The entire communion is gluten free. For the first time, I was able to take communion and didn't have to worry about CC. I felt so included. The women responsible for coordinating it had special gluten-free pita flown in from New York. She still isn't satisfied with it's texture, so she made two other pitas - one from a mix and one from scratch. She had me taste test after the sermon today and we decided upon her "from scratch" recipe for all of the future services. They do lunch on Sunday after the services, and are going to let us coordinate two entirely gluten-free lunches each month. I'm really excited. If any of you live nearby and want to check it out, here's the site: http://www.thebridgewired.org/. The pastor is so awesome and is also a friend - his wife is gluten-free also.

It was really nothing short of a blessing today!
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

I started going to a new church a few weeks ago and took communion today. The entire communion is gluten free. For the first time, I was able to take communion and didn't have to worry about CC. I felt so included. The women responsible for coordinating it had special gluten-free pita flown in from New York. She still isn't satisfied with it's texture, so she made two other pitas - one from a mix and one from scratch. She had me taste test after the sermon today and we decided upon her "from scratch" recipe for all of the future services. They do lunch on Sunday after the services, and are going to let us coordinate two entirely gluten-free lunches each month. I'm really excited. If any of you live nearby and want to check it out, here's the site: http://www.thebridgewired.org/. The pastor is so awesome and is also a friend - his wife is gluten-free also.

It was really nothing short of a blessing today!

That is so awesome, truly a blessing!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#3 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

That is a blessing in itself. You are very blessed to have found a church like that..I'm jealous... Could you share the pita recipe that you chose?

#4 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

That is a blessing in itself. You are very blessed to have found a church like that..I'm jealous... Could you share the pita recipe that you chose?

Absolutely! I will get the recipe from her next week.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom

#5 CaraLouise

CaraLouise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:10 AM

I am going to seminary to be a pastor and so whenever I lead communion, I plan it being gluten free too! :)

#6 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

I am going to seminary to be a pastor and so whenever I lead communion, I plan it being gluten free too! :)

Awesome...that makes me smile -----> :rolleyes:

#7 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

{waves to Cara} I've just finished seminary and have been "certified ready to receive a call" -- Presbyterian-speak for "I need a job!" lol.. I'm a part-time chaplain now, and hopefully will find a full-time position. I'm looking for a good recipe that I can use to have our communion all gluten-free so I'll be looking forward to this pita bread recipe also. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: