This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Packed Cold Dinners.

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

Daughter has informed me that she no longer wants to use the microwave at the dance studio. The reason being by the time her food is heated, she has lost her good seat. Seating is not abundant there and many of the kids do wind up eating on the floor but I think she prefers to eat with her friends.

We do have plenty of thermoses but her locker is very small and she has stuffed it full of dance clothes, hair supplies, various cosmetics and even a sewing kit. So probably no room to put a thermos in, although perhaps she could just leave the thermos on the counter near the microwave.

I do have some cold things I send in for her. Those would be sandwiches or teff wraps, chicken on a green salad with carrots and black olives with a sesame dressing, pasta salad with beans, veggies and Italian dressing.

She does like hummus but she often eats that for lunch with baby carrots. I do usually send in baby carrots and a bag of sliced raw apple or some applesauce with her meals. Sometimes I'll send in a bag of popcorn (popped on the stove) and a small can of tuna or chicken salad. I buy the kind that come with crackers and either throw the crackers out or maybe give them to my husband. Once in a while I'll eat them but I'm not big on crackers.

Part of the problem is her other allergies. I am looking for a new naturopath *(old one just passed away) to test her for IgG allergies in the hopes she has not gotten any new ones and may have outgrown some that she does have. She has outgrown egg and dairy allergies but is almost borderline for eggs. Because of this she was told to have egg no more than once a week. The egg would be in the mayo in the tuna or chicken salad. When she does have that I will go to the grocery store next door and buy her some boiled or deviled eggs to eat as a snack in the car on the way home. I do not usually cook eggs at home because I am very allergic. And she is to have dairy only twice a week. The same applies to me on the dairy. We have been cheating some on that and we probably shouldn't. But she has picked two days as her dairy days and they are not days when she needs to take a meal to dance. So for the time being no dairy.

She is also allergic to peas, lentils, peanuts and almonds. And while she loves beans, she tries not to eat a lot of them on the days she is dancing because for her they cause a severe gas problem. I thought like me if she just ate them more frequently this problem would go away but it didn't.

Can anyone think of some other cold meals she could pack? I've been sending Ian's chicken nuggets or fish sticks (but the kids complain of the fish stink) or leftovers from the previous night's dinner that she puts in the microwave. And about once a week a teff wrap.

I should also add that while we have tried alternate seed and nut butters, she doesn't really like them. And doesn't really like nuts of any kind even though I am able to buy some that are safe for her.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

That's rough! She may have to take the same thing over and over. She what she comes up with. Maybe she can get some ideas based on what the other kids have.

Juliebove Rising Star

That's rough! She may have to take the same thing over and over. She what she comes up with. Maybe she can get some ideas based on what the other kids have.

The other kids usually eat Subway, McDonalds or Teriyaki. Two sister's parents own a Jimmy Johns. So they eat that. This stuff is pretty much out of the question for her. She could get the plain rice from the Teriyaki place. And maybe a salad from Subway but really I don't trust it not to be contaminated.

There is an Albertsons and they do usually go there, but if she gets anything at all it is chips, fruit or sometimes candy that she shares with the other kids.

cahill Collaborator

I was going to suggest pasta salad but just notice you already mentioned that.

Juliebove Rising Star

I was going to suggest pasta salad but just notice you already mentioned that

Yeah. But maybe there's some other verison I haven't thought about?

cahill Collaborator

Yeah. But maybe there's some other verison I haven't thought about?

When I still ate nightshades I put Gluten-free pasta,tomatoes,onions,peppers, Hormel Gluten-free ham and Hormel Gluten-free hard salomi and homemade Italian dressing in mine

kareng Grand Master

The other kids usually eat Subway, McDonalds or Teriyaki. Two sister's parents own a Jimmy Johns. So they eat that. This stuff is pretty much out of the question for her. She could get the plain rice from the Teriyaki place. And maybe a salad from Subway but really I don't trust it not to be contaminated.

There is an Albertsons and they do usually go there, but if she gets anything at all it is chips, fruit or sometimes candy that she shares with the other kids.

I didn't say to eat what they ate. Just that what other kids brought might give her ideas to bring her own version. She's better off without that junk even if she could eat it. I'm surprised to see dancers that age, eating like this. Not good fuel for dancing.

Sometimes, I heat my food at home & pack in an insulated linch bag. You can get microwave hot packs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

When I still ate nightshades I put Gluten-free pasta,tomatoes,onions,peppers, Hormel Gluten-free ham and Hormel Gluten-free hard salomi and homemade Italian dressing in mine

Thanks! She would like all but the tomatoes. I would just put black olives in instead.

Juliebove Rising Star

I didn't say to eat what they ate. Just that what other kids brought might give her ideas to bring her own version. She's better off without that junk even if she could eat it. I'm surprised to see dancers that age, eating like this. Not good fuel for dancing.

Sometimes, I heat my food at home & pack in an insulated linch bag. You can get microwave hot packs.

Those kids seem to eat a lot! And they're all thin. My kid is not thin but she eats healthy foods.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Today's Parent has a cool lunchbox tool. It has a ton of ideas for lunches/cold snacks.

Open Original Shared Link

It is not even remotely allergy friendly, but I suspect everything can be modified for your daughter's allergies.

Mizzo Enthusiast

You could make some gluten-free Bisquick biscuits halved and buttered with turkey rollups with sprouts and hummus or Ham and pickles. or use Udi's bagels sliced in half again hortizontally, this makes a better sandwich than their gluten-free white bread, IMO.

Schar makes some nice table crackers, these are a cross between a low salt saltine and a club cracker. Maybe crackers with meat or tuna.

Oscar Meyer meats which are Gluten free has a carving board line of meats. These are really tasty and makes throwing a garden/pasta salad with meat together really fast and easy.

Good luck, you have a lot of restrictions. Hopefully you can get a thermos to be available and she will have quite a few more options.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Laptop lunches are not gluten-free, but you may get some ideas here that you can make gluten-free.

laptoplunches.com

Sorry, my link didn't work.

sb2178 Enthusiast

smoked salmon

roasted sweet potatoes

spring rolls

quinoa vegetable salad

rice balls (onigiri)

tofu-based chocolate pudding (make it low sugar, and send it with fruit and/or a salad)

Olive oil and vinegar-based tuna salad. I like artichokes or olives, and white onion with herbs.

Juliebove Rising Star

Today's Parent has a cool lunchbox tool. It has a ton of ideas for lunches/cold snacks.

Open Original Shared Link

It is not even remotely allergy friendly, but I suspect everything can be modified for your daughter's allergies.

Thanks!

Juliebove Rising Star

You could make some gluten-free Bisquick biscuits halved and buttered with turkey rollups with sprouts and hummus or Ham and pickles. or use Udi's bagels sliced in half again hortizontally, this makes a better sandwich than their gluten-free white bread, IMO.

Schar makes some nice table crackers, these are a cross between a low salt saltine and a club cracker. Maybe crackers with meat or tuna.

Oscar Meyer meats which are Gluten free has a carving board line of meats. These are really tasty and makes throwing a garden/pasta salad with meat together really fast and easy.

Good luck, you have a lot of restrictions. Hopefully you can get a thermos to be available and she will have quite a few more options.

Have you tried making the Bisquick without eggs? AFAIK it has to have them. I did buy some but have been afraid it won't come out right.

The Udi's have eggs as well so those are out.

I can mail order the Schar's crackers but I believe the last time I got them they had eggs as well. And they usually arrive in crumbs. So not much good for eating unless you want crumbs.

I do buy that meat.

Juliebove Rising Star

smoked salmon

roasted sweet potatoes

spring rolls

quinoa vegetable salad

rice balls (onigiri)

tofu-based chocolate pudding (make it low sugar, and send it with fruit and/or a salad)

Olive oil and vinegar-based tuna salad. I like artichokes or olives, and white onion with herbs.

How do you make spring rolls?

And the rice balls? Do they contain soy? Can't do the tofu because of the soy. She outgrew a soy allergy and it messes with my thyroid so I don't let her have it except for in things like soybean oil or lecithin.

She won't eat salmon or quinoa but she will eat the quinoa pasta. I am cooking some right now for a pasta salad.

Juliebove Rising Star

Laptop lunches are not gluten-free, but you may get some ideas here that you can make gluten-free.

laptoplunches.com

Sorry, my link didn't work.

Thanks!

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

My son loves a veggie dip that he dips tortilla chips in. It's:

Tomatoes

Cucumbers

Bell pepper (we like orange or yellow)

Cheese (you could use a cheese alternative)

Green Goddess salad dressing

I know you said she does like tomatoes, so you could probably sub some other veggie. The original recipe I got had onions instead of cucumbers, but we don't like onions.

You use approximately equal amounts of everything and enough dressing to coat to your liking. Everything is diced, except the cheese which is shredded.

Juliebove Rising Star

My son loves a veggie dip that he dips tortilla chips in. It's:

Tomatoes

Cucumbers

Bell pepper (we like orange or yellow)

Cheese (you could use a cheese alternative)

Green Goddess salad dressing

I know you said she does like tomatoes, so you could probably sub some other veggie. The original recipe I got had onions instead of cucumbers, but we don't like onions.

You use approximately equal amounts of everything and enough dressing to coat to your liking. Everything is diced, except the cheese which is shredded.

There are no cheese alternatives she can eat because she can't have soy, peas, lentils or nuts. But thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Jennaand2kids Newbie

can someone tell me how you make pasta salad????

shadowicewolf Proficient

How do you make spring rolls?

And the rice balls? Do they contain soy? Can't do the tofu because of the soy. She outgrew a soy allergy and it messes with my thyroid so I don't let her have it except for in things like soybean oil or lecithin.

She won't eat salmon or quinoa but she will eat the quinoa pasta. I am cooking some right now for a pasta salad.

Onigiri (riceball) do not have to contain anything ('cept rice of course :P). Basically, its just rice around the filling of your choice (this could be chicken or even pickled plums). It is also optional to wrap nori (seaweed) around the onigiri.

sa1937 Community Regular

I don't have a particular recipe for pasta salad but if you go to Open Original Shared Link or Open Original Shared Link, you'll probably pull up hundreds, if not thousands. Just make sure you use gluten-free pasta and that all of the other ingredients are also gluten-free.

cahill Collaborator

It can be made how ever you like it. When I was still eating night shades and dairy I would,

cook gluten free pasta of choice ,rinse to cool.

dice following ingredients

onions

tomatoes( halved cherry tomatoes work well )

red,green and yellow peppers

green or black olives

Hormel gluten free ham

Hormel gluten free hard Salomi

cheddar cheese and/or mozzarella cheese

add home made Italian dressing, chill and serve

you can add or take way what ever you like

a great summer salad

sb2178 Enthusiast

Vegetable Spring Rolls

10 minutes

The variations are infinite

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

There are no cheese alternatives she can eat because she can't have soy, peas, lentils or nuts. But thanks!

I'm pretty sure Galaxy makes a Rice Vegan that is dairy, soy, bean and nut free. It comes is blocks so you could cube it and come up with a 'cheese' plate with fruit, cheese and some kind of crackers.

Rice Vegan: INGREDIENTS: ORGANIC RICE BASE (FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC RICE FLOUR), ORGANIC RICE MALTODEXTRIN, RICE BRAN OIL, PEA PROTEIN, CALCIUM & SODIUM PHOSPHATES, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF SEA SALT, CARRAGEENAN, MONO & DIGLYCERIDES, NATURAL FLAVORS, LACTIC ACID (NON-DAIRY), RIBOFLAVIN.

Edit: Nevermind. It has pea protein :(

Archived