Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Iodine In Cod Liver Oil?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm suspecting I have DH -- not sure yet. I have been gluten-free for a few years, but just realized that I was using a couple products (shampoo, hand soap) that contain wheat protein, so I wonder if this triggered DH. (I never had DH, or whatever this rash is, until recently.) I stopped using these products yesterday, and I think my rash is already improving.

Anyway, my diet is already very low in iodine, but the one thing I'm wondering about is cod liver oil. I can't find a definite answer elsewhere about the iodine content of cod liver oil, so I'm wondering about your experiences... Does anyone here who has to avoid iodine know if they can take cod liver oil or not?

I hope I don't have to cut cod liver oil out, because I really need the omega 3s. (I can't get omega 3s from other sources due to my numerous food allergies.)

Thanks!

LC.

Ads by Google:

Very good question. I have wondered too. I haven't taken fish oil for that reason. If it is iodine free, I'll take it. I suspect it has iodine. I use flax oil.

I might just cut it out for a little while, in hopes of clearing up this rash as fast as possible.

I just realized I may be getting more iodine than I thought... I use a LOT of himalayan salt and sea salt. I'm reading here that these are problematic for some.

I'm so glad I came to this forum and read about the iodine connection -- I never knew about this before today!

I take cod liver oil (Nature Made as it is soy free) In the nutrients it does not list iodine. I have DH and it has never given me a problem. Please note that once you have been lesion free for a while you can add iodine back in and should as it is an important nutrient. While iodine can keep the antibodies active it doesn't cause the antibodies. So once the antibodies have left the skin iodine isn't an issue.

I take cod liver oil (Nature Made as it is soy free) In the nutrients it does not list iodine. I have DH and it has never given me a problem. Please note that once you have been lesion free for a while you can add iodine back in and should as it is an important nutrient. While iodine can keep the antibodies active it doesn't cause the antibodies. So once the antibodies have left the skin iodine isn't an issue.

Oh yes, I'm just going to cut down on it for awhile. Good to know that CLO isn't a problem for you!

So, since I stopped using those products with wheat protein, and basically cut iodine out of my diet (cut out sea/pink salt and CLO), this rash has improved drastically! It wasn't itchy at all for at least a few days. But then yesterday, I had some CLO, and it was itchy again last night.

How long does it generally take for the itchiness to go away if one avoids both gluten and iodine? I'm wondering if the itchiness means that I definitely ingested some iodine (or gluten... I'm careful, but I do live in a non-gluten-free household...), or if it could still remain itchy for awhile even if avoiding these.

It does seem like CLO contains some iodine, from what I've read, so I think it was probably that...