13 replies to this topic

#1 collgwg

collgwg

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

omg i have this god awful salt taste in my mouth and i can not seem to get rid of it no matter what :(
is there such a thing as withdrawal and this may be one of the symptoms?
and what are the other symptoms i should look out for?

i am so new to all of this its all overwhelming today is day 1 :o
i went to the superstore last night and bought as much as i could with the money i had and my dh(dear husband(fly lady term) did his shopping and i am still standing in this section that i did not even knew existed and had no clue what to eat what to choose and freaking out over the prices, but i took a deep breath and bought few things,like cereal,tortillas,bread mix, natchos,soy beens,(look like green beens this is taking a big step for me as i DO NOT like veggies ) tried a recipe from on line that was ok but too greasy for my liking will have to tweek it another time lol

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:57 PM

Stop! Take a deep breath. Now jump up & down 5 times!

It doesn't have to say gluten free to be gluten free. Look on the " what's for dinner" thread and see what people eat. Ok....some of them are gourmet cooks & some of them seem to love Brussels sprouts and tofu. A lot of them ( us) just eat the same regular stuff from before. Leftover grilled chicken on salad. Chili. Steak & baked potatoes. BBQ pork and OreIda fries in the oven. Chicken tacos. Ice cream. I'm getting hungry!

I did make sure I had a pretty chain for my reading glasses when I went to the grocery. Some of the ingredients are really small. You can do it.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

It can be easiest to go with as much whole unprocessed food as you can for a bit. Fresh meats and chicken, rice, potatos, fruit and veggies are all going to be safe in their natural state. Some companies are really good at labeling, Kraft and Unilever are two of them. If you don't see gluten listed it is gluten free. For pasta I usually get Thai Kitchen rice noodles. They cook really fast and are not as expensive as some of the specialty gluten-free brands. It can be overwhelming at first but you will get the hang of it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 collgwg

collgwg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

thank you both for your insite it will be deffentally considered
im finding that it is so hard to follow this life style i went out to night and the women in the house thought it would be funny to replace my smokes with potato chips that are full of gluten lol whats more deadlier smokes or gluten lol both pretty near up there lol
and i took my dip that had no gluten and my gluten free corn chips and what did every one do but dip their gluten laden foods in my dip
they laughed at me when i told them now the dip is contanimated and said i was full of bull that gluten can not be transfored like that gurrr i wish they all knew how really hard this is

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

im finding that it is so hard to follow this life style i went out to night and the women in the house thought it would be funny to replace my smokes with potato chips that are full of gluten lol whats more deadlier smokes or gluten lol both pretty near up there lol
and i took my dip that had no gluten and my gluten free corn chips and what did every one do but dip their gluten laden foods in my dip
they laughed at me when i told them now the dip is contanimated and said i was full of bull that gluten can not be transfored like that gurrr i wish they all knew how really hard this is

Ask them- have you seen toast crumbs in the jelly? Broken chips in the dip?

I have a hot cheesy dip I bring to things. I have a small oven safe bowl and the bigger oven safe bowl. I put some in each. I make a personal bag of chips and carrot sticks. Then I let them have at the big bag of chips & big bowl of dip. I have my nice private, safe bowl & chips.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 Coinkey

Coinkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

What you do is openly pick your nose in front of them, wipe it off on your shirt then stick your finger in the dip and say, "What... you said stuff can't be transferred in this manner. It's only a little bit of booger and I wiped it off, there's no contamination in the dip- go on... eat it!"
Self diagnosed as gluten free as all tests were negative and the doctor was completely useless.

Gluten Free since June 2010
Suspecting soy and milk as of June 2011

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

What you do is openly pick your nose in front of them, wipe it off on your shirt then stick your finger in the dip and say, "What... you said stuff can't be transferred in this manner. It's only a little bit of booger and I wiped it off, there's no contamination in the dip- go on... eat it!"

Well that would certainly get your point across! :lol:
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#8 collgwg

collgwg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:27 AM

thats too funny im sure that would get the point across

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:16 AM

AWESOME!!

I cannot wait to do this the next time my family gathers!!! :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:07 AM

These women are stupid and mean. Are they relatives or roommates? Can you avoid them? They don't get it and it appears that they don't care. You need support, not sabotage. Ergh! They need to come here and read what cc can do.
Gluten Free since 2010

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

These women are stupid and mean. Are they relatives or roommates? Can you avoid them? They don't get it and it appears that they don't care. You need support, not sabotage. Ergh! They need to come here and read what cc can do.

I agree!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

Love it! I don't think I'd have the nerve to do it.

#13 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

Did you eat pine nuts perchance? There is a thing called pine mouth that gives a metallic taste for a couple weeks.

I get a horrible taste in my mouth - I had chronic bad breath and the horrible taste until we'd been on GAPS for a while. Introducing foods in, I realized that it is directly related to cheese. My bad BO is also cheese. If I have a tiny amount of cheese I'm ok. But if I have a slice I'll wake up the next day with the AWFUL taste and bad BO, and they last a few days at least. (I'm fine with yogurt and haven't tried fresh milk or cream).
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#14 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

Brussels sprouts are awesome, unless they are frozen. (keep in mind, though, that I don't like tomatoes. Which is, according to many people, very weird.) And you can eat actual green beans. Edamame are pretty good, but green beans are just fine.

So, I kind of didn't have dinner today, but last night I had an egg and greens sandwich on gluten-free bread. Basic fried egg with mustard greens from my garden, a little mustard, two slices of bread. There was something else on my plate too... hmmm... oh, leftover asparagus and kidney beans. Pretty basic. I don't usually have bread, but I splurged at a gluten-free bakery Thursday. Normally, I'd have a baked potato/sweet potato with the above egg.

Couple of meals:

1. baked beans, rice, and veg (pick one, frozen is usually really easy)
2. egg, sweet potato, and veg
3. tuna salad, gluten-free crackers, and veg
4. pork chop, applesauce, and baked potato

If you're still eating dairy, drop it. Dairy gives a lot of people reflux, which can make your mouth taste weird.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: