This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Allergic To Everything. Help! What Can I Eat? Anyone Else Like This?

MargoS

MargoS Rookie

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of being gluten free, my nautropath got results from BioTek's ELISA IgG food testing for some 100 foods. It broke my heart when she came in and announced that I had "major digestive problems." I'm a vegetarian, but now I have no idea of what to eat. Listed as very high reacting foods, includes virtually all fruits and vegetables (except for strawberry, blueberry and plum for fruits; and beet, garlic, mushroom and spinach for vegetatbles). All forms of dairy were high. Corn, of course all wheats and glutens high. Only safe nuts for me are sunflower and peanut and soy was marginal. Grains are all high except for amaranth. Eggs were very high. Sugar high. Yeast very high. For goodness sakes- the only things that were low were meats and seafoods! The vegetables kill me. That's what I eat most of. Am I just suppose to eat salmon the rest of my life? (It was THE lowest allergen tested).

This must be leaky gut, and I must have to go on a rottation diet. But my goodness. Anyone else out there have so many other intolerances? How to you handles it? How do you heal the leaky gut?

Thanks for your help. I am really, really depressed by this...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jststric Contributor

Bless your heart! At least you got your results officially. I had to come up with mine on my own. I Am gluten , dairy, nut, rice and bean intolerant. Dont fit into vegetarian diets OR vegans really. You will find your way, I promise. You will have to READ, READ, READ labels. I have one recommendation.....Sunbutter spread. It's so much like peanut butter only made if sunflower seeds. It's a new find for me. Spend time at a sore or health food store just getting acquainted with products. Subscribe to blogs and magazine such a Living Without. Again....READ and ask lots of questions. I learned ALOT reading others' questions in this forum. You will begin to find your way, I promise.

Cypressmyst Explorer

Yes. I am allergic to everything I eat now because my list has been widdled down over the years. My only hope is to heal up my gut which I am working on doing with my doctor. I had bacterial infections and parasites that needed to be taken care of and of course antibiotics cause leaky gut so until they are gone I can't even really start. :(

It is very depressing, but my doc sees a light at the end of the tunnel for me so that keeps me going. Until then I just avoid the foods that cause the biggest acute reactions. I think I'm down to 15 things that I can eat now.

*Hugs

sb2178 Enthusiast

My list was not that bad, and I've been able to reintroduce things.

Suggestions:

1) probiotics

2) good vitamin support

3) l-glutamine

4) test before really crossing them off as some items are cross-reactive with environmental allergens like ragweed (I only had symptoms from the very highest scoring items)

Rotate the lowest items, and then gradually re-introduce less allergenic items. I could eat eggs after about one month (limited them for a while), peanut butter again after about 6 months, and dairy (still limited) after 8-9 months. Yeast I find easy to avoid, as I don't bake yeasted items often or buy much in the way of bread.

I would play around with vegetables and fruits. You may not actually react to all of them.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Yeah, it is really really hard to realize that fruits and vegetables can make you sick.

My problem is the salicylic acid content. I eat mostly meat, chicken and only a little bit of rice or else I have a problem. I felt my absolute best on a meat and water diet....but I keep hoping to eat more and keep trying to introduce foods but end up not feeling well. It is depressing, I know how you feel. But I decided that I wanna feel better even if I get down to only one food I can eat. Hang in there.

cahill Collaborator

I was vegan for most of my adult life.For awhile when my gut was first starting to heal meat was just about the only thing my body tolerated .

Since healing a bit I have been able to add back some fruits and veggies. My body does NOT tolerate most grains (in addition to gluten) .I have found lately I can tolerate a limited amount of corn in pure form (not HFCS )I am currently experimenting with adding back some legumes ( not soy) in the hope that I can reduce the amount of meat I eat.

It is really tough when first starting out but as you heal it does get easier.Give you body the time and sustenance it needs to heal.

((Hugs))

MargoS Rookie

Bless your heart! At least you got your results officially. I had to come up with mine on my own. I Am gluten , dairy, nut, rice and bean intolerant. Dont fit into vegetarian diets OR vegans really. You will find your way, I promise. You will have to READ, READ, READ labels. I have one recommendation.....Sunbutter spread. It's so much like peanut butter only made if sunflower seeds. It's a new find for me. Spend time at a sore or health food store just getting acquainted with products. Subscribe to blogs and magazine such a Living Without. Again....READ and ask lots of questions. I learned ALOT reading others' questions in this forum. You will begin to find your way, I promise.

Thanks Jstric, Thanks for the suggestion on Sunbutter-I will try some. Its good to know there is a way around this. Cheers!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MargoS Rookie

Yes. I am allergic to everything I eat now because my list has been widdled down over the years. My only hope is to heal up my gut which I am working on doing with my doctor. I had bacterial infections and parasites that needed to be taken care of and of course antibiotics cause leaky gut so until they are gone I can't even really start. :(

It is very depressing, but my doc sees a light at the end of the tunnel for me so that keeps me going. Until then I just avoid the foods that cause the biggest acute reactions. I think I'm down to 15 things that I can eat now.

*Hugs

Hi Cypressmyst,

My doctor suggested getting tested for the same things- parasites, bacterial overgrowth, yeast, etc. We'll get results back in a few weeks. Half of me hopes its one of those things so we "know" what is causing this and can treat it. The other half of me dreads any more bad news..."You now have this!" and have to treat it with antibiotics, etc. My doc is a Naturopath so she already mentioned some herbal treatments. She said it depends on how bad it is (if it is positive for one of these things) whether we can use natural herbal remedies or go for aggressive antibiotics.

For you-when did you find out and how long of a treatment have you been/will you be on?

What are your 15 good foods? Good luck and keep me posted!

MargoS Rookie

My list was not that bad, and I've been able to reintroduce things.

4) test before really crossing them off as some items are cross-reactive with environmental allergens like ragweed (I only had symptoms from the very highest scoring items)

Rotate the lowest items, and then gradually re-introduce less allergenic items. I could eat eggs after about one month (limited them for a while), peanut butter again after about 6 months, and dairy (still limited) after 8-9 months. Yeast I find easy to avoid, as I don't bake yeasted items often or buy much in the way of bread.

I would play around with vegetables and fruits. You may not actually react to all of them.

Hi sb2178,

Thanks- sounds like good suggestions. I actually don't think that I react to many of the foods listed-including fruits and veggies. Maybe I am just not noticing things yet? The only for sure, absolute reactions are wheat/gluten; and I suspect all other grains (except rice, I think is okay). Corn is suspect. If I don't have reactions, do you think that because I have leaky gut, anything getting through into my bloodstream is causing IgG to build up? Nevertheless, I will stop all the high allergens for now and rotate the lowest...thanks for your advice.

MargoS Rookie

Yeah, it is really really hard to realize that fruits and vegetables can make you sick.

My problem is the salicylic acid content. I eat mostly meat, chicken and only a little bit of rice or else I have a problem. I felt my absolute best on a meat and water diet....but I keep hoping to eat more and keep trying to introduce foods but end up not feeling well. It is depressing, I know how you feel. But I decided that I wanna feel better even if I get down to only one food I can eat. Hang in there.

Eatmeat4good,

That's amazing. I was thinking I would go down that road. Tough for me, being vegetarian (pesco/lacto/ovo)-so looks like I will be eating a lot of seafood. It's really amazing to me that certain foods are safe havens, and that meats are one of them. What does that say about human evolution and adapation? Thanks for your help.

MargoS Rookie

I was vegan for most of my adult life.For awhile when my gut was first starting to heal meat was just about the only thing my body tolerated .

Since healing a bit I have been able to add back some fruits and veggies. My body does NOT tolerate most grains (in addition to gluten) .I have found lately I can tolerate a limited amount of corn in pure form (not HFCS )I am currently experimenting with adding back some legumes ( not soy) in the hope that I can reduce the amount of meat I eat.

It is really tough when first starting out but as you heal it does get easier.Give you body the time and sustenance it needs to heal.

((Hugs))

Hi a1956chill,

It's so nice to hear from a fellow/former vegan. It must have been tough for you. My husband said last night that he would understand if I needed to start eating meat again. I told him I think I can do it with seafood. We'll see....I am so thankful salmon was okay (the lowest on my list) as its such a healthy protein. I am just worried I will overdo it if that is all I eat...

So what happens to you when you eat rice? That is the one grain I just don't want to go without. (I will, if I hav too....). For me, I'm not really getting any symptoms from rice or the majority of other foods listed as "allergic"- wheat/gluten, and I suspect all other grains are ad-and I think (boo hoo) corn as well. Thanks for your help and encouragement!

11475 Apprentice

Sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I am fairly similar. My 'safe' foods number about 10, and the only one of them I actually 'like' is sea salt. But, hopefully things will get better for all of us.

Just wanted to say - (and someone else has mentioned salicylic acid), look into salicylates, amines, and even glutamates. Also have a look at fructose malabsorption. (There is information (good and bad - you just have to search!) on the internet, or you could talk with your health care providers about this.) This may help you to further identify why some foods are making you sick.

Good luck to you!! (And to the other posters who are struggling with having so few foods. It is tough, isn't it. But - there is always hope.)

cahill Collaborator

salmon was okay (the lowest on my list) as its such a healthy protein. I am just worried I will overdo it if that is all I eat...

So what happens to you when you eat rice?

I have depended on rice since going gluten free.I depended on rice during my elimination diet. There were months that just about all I could eat was meat and rice.I believe that is why my body now reacts to rice.I feel that a rotation diet works best for me now . The hard part is having enough safe foods to rotate :P

As my leaky gut heals I am able to add more foods safely back into my diet .Adding probiotics and digestive enzymes have made a tremendous difference

Hang in there it does get easier. :)

jenngolightly Contributor

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of being gluten free, my nautropath got results from BioTek's ELISA IgG food testing for some 100 foods. It broke my heart when she came in and announced that I had "major digestive problems." I'm a vegetarian, but now I have no idea of what to eat. Listed as very high reacting foods, includes virtually all fruits and vegetables (except for strawberry, blueberry and plum for fruits; and beet, garlic, mushroom and spinach for vegetatbles). All forms of dairy were high. Corn, of course all wheats and glutens high. Only safe nuts for me are sunflower and peanut and soy was marginal. Grains are all high except for amaranth. Eggs were very high. Sugar high. Yeast very high. For goodness sakes- the only things that were low were meats and seafoods! The vegetables kill me. That's what I eat most of. Am I just suppose to eat salmon the rest of my life? (It was THE lowest allergen tested).

This must be leaky gut, and I must have to go on a rottation diet. But my goodness. Anyone else out there have so many other intolerances? How to you handles it? How do you heal the leaky gut?

Thanks for your help. I am really, really depressed by this...

When I started my restrictive diet, I listed all of the things that I COULD eat and then found ways to mix and match them to make interesting meals. I also found that I grew to like foods that I was previously very picky about. I started eating meat and enjoying it, because I had to eat it. You might find that your tastes change because they have to change. I never thought I'd eat hamburger. But I still can't get near a steak. I compromised. You'll find new foods that you didn't know about, too. Fennel. I'm 41 and I never ate fennel before I had to restrict my diet. Now I love it!

Cypressmyst Explorer

Hi Cypressmyst,

My doctor suggested getting tested for the same things- parasites, bacterial overgrowth, yeast, etc. We'll get results back in a few weeks. Half of me hopes its one of those things so we "know" what is causing this and can treat it. The other half of me dreads any more bad news..."You now have this!" and have to treat it with antibiotics, etc. My doc is a Naturopath so she already mentioned some herbal treatments. She said it depends on how bad it is (if it is positive for one of these things) whether we can use natural herbal remedies or go for aggressive antibiotics.

Yeah we aren't a fan of antibiotics either but you don't mess around with H-pylori. It is heinous to get rid of, round two of antibiotics and I'm not sure it did the job. Next is to call in the tactical nukes. :blink:

I've had to cut out lots of nuts even though they are gluten-free certified. Doc thinks it is a mold issue as my reaction isn't the same as a glutening, I have general inflammation throughout my GI system and my cecum doesn't particularly hurt. It always hurts with glutenings.

So we are switching up my probiotics to try to get more good guys in that can handle the little bits of mold on the nuts. Just goes to show that it may not always be gluten. ;)

For you-when did you find out and how long of a treatment have you been/will you be on?

For parasites I found out in December that I had H-pylori and Vibrio. Did a 2 week Prevpac antibiotic and it killed vibrio but not HP. Only weakened that. Then in March I did another 2 week course of some different antibiotics and I test this week to see if it worked. Hard to tell as my gut still hurts. This could be because of HP or just the left over holes.

The treatment to heal my leaky gut started in December and consists of a bunch of supplements at varying levels and glutagenics powder to help build up my gut. But as I said until the infection is taken care of I can't really heal fully. I'd say it could take a good 6 more months of treatment past getting rid of HP.

I also lived on pizza and Guinness. My poor body. :(

What are your 15 good foods? Good luck and keep me posted!

Lets see:

Chicken, beef, eggs, turkey bacon, salad with herbs, tomatoes, peppers, peas, carrots, celery, blue and blackberries, apples, oranges, pears, dates, black beans, potatoes, lentils, olive oil.

Ok more like 20 not 15. :P I've been getting a bit better as I can have potatoes and lentils now without getting sick. B) That is new this week. Maybe just cutting them out for a while helps?

Thank you for your kind words. I will definitely let this forum and others know my progress. ;) And please you do too! We are all in this together! :)

monika Newbie

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of being gluten free, my nautropath got results from BioTek's ELISA IgG food testing for some 100 foods. It broke my heart when she came in and announced that I had "major digestive problems."

I got the same test done and doctor told me I was the worse one he has ever seen hahah. I carry my list around and I'm staring to get used to it. It's horrible becasue I read lables and everything contains something I can't have! It frustrates me so much and I take forever at the grocery store and come out with so little. The doctor says it's for life and that just shocked me, cause I thought it was something that I would be able to get over after a while. Though he did say that I can have some of the food from time to time in moderation. Also the very low reaction ones can be eaten if I am unable to avoid them. It's really hard and the tempatation is eveything but just start going to your grocery store, go through every asile and look at every item. Yes it will take forever and you will frustrated but in the end you will come out with something. even if it is just one thing.

I still haven't finished going throguh the entire store but I now know that there are a few items I can have.

Hope this help

jenngolightly Contributor

I got the same test done and doctor told me I was the worse one he has ever seen hahah. I carry my list around and I'm staring to get used to it. It's horrible becasue I read lables and everything contains something I can't have! It frustrates me so much and I take forever at the grocery store and come out with so little. The doctor says it's for life and that just shocked me, cause I thought it was something that I would be able to get over after a while. Though he did say that I can have some of the food from time to time in moderation. Also the very low reaction ones can be eaten if I am unable to avoid them. It's really hard and the tempatation is eveything but just start going to your grocery store, go through every asile and look at every item. Yes it will take forever and you will frustrated but in the end you will come out with something. even if it is just one thing.

I still haven't finished going throguh the entire store but I now know that there are a few items I can have.

Hope this help

After you start reading past posts on this forum, you'll see that doctors don't know everything about nutrition. A lot of people here distrust their doctors because many have been given bad information. There are some people (me) who have good doctors, but I have read some horror stories about doctors that give you doomsday diagnoses that turn out to be complete phooey.

People have problems with foods that clear up after they abstain for a while - that could be a short while or long while, but there are many people who go back to eating a wide range of foods. This is especially true for Celiacs. Our tummies have been tortured and need time to heal. After we are better, our tummies can start digesting foods that we used to have problems with.

Be cautious with your doc's advice. It's very difficult to give up a lot of foods, but you could start with a small diet and try adding in foods one at a time to see if they actually give you problems.

You'll find people on this forum who are/have been in your exact situation. Keep posting and you'll get the support you need.

For now, shop the perimeter of the grocery store where there isn't a lot of processed foods and you don't have to read labels. Chicken has chicken in it. Apple has apple in it. You can make a grilled chicken salad with apple and your dressing can be vinegar or fresh lemon juice (if you can tolerate that - it's what I use).

I hope you feel better soon and your spirits lift.

• 2 weeks later...
monika Newbie

People have problems with foods that clear up after they abstain for a while - that could be a short while or long while, but there are many people who go back to eating a wide range of foods. This is especially true for Celiacs. Our tummies have been tortured and need time to heal. After we are better, our tummies can start digesting foods that we used to have problems with.

Be cautious with your doc's advice. It's very difficult to give up a lot of foods, but you could start with a small diet and try adding in foods one at a time to see if they actually give you problems.

You'll find people on this forum who are/have been in your exact situation. Keep posting and you'll get the support you need.

The werid thing is I never really noticed that I had a problem with food. I started noticing that I was getting really sick and I wasn't able to get better. This went on for about 2 years. I did feel sick after I would eat anything but I just shrugged it off. Then I got the test done and it changed everything! Yeah it's super hard to not eat those food and I am going to look into a second opinion but I have noticed since the change in diet I've felt so much better. I'm no longer sick, I have alot more energy and even my allergies have gotten better. Sometimes I do eat something I shouldn't and now I feel a little what i would call a knot in my stomach but for the most part I am fine.

Thanks for your advice :)

domesticactivist Collaborator

Our son's ELISA showed reactions to all his favorite foods. We were not surprised to learn that with a leaky gut, the body will have IgG reactions especially to just about anything you eat. That's why we're now trying to heal our guts with the GAPS Diet. According to the theory, once the gut is "sealed," many of the food reactions will go away. Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride recommends doing the Intro Diet which is limited to homemade soups with the meat from the bones, cooked vegetables, and home-fermented foods. Foods that are not on the safe list are to be avoided, but as you continue with the diet, she doesn't advise avoiding everything that showed up on an ELISA. IgE allergens are to be avoided, though.

• 5 years later...
Melissa28 Newbie
On 5/6/2011 at 11:52 PM, eatmeat4good said:

Hi. I realize your post was from a long time ago, do you still find that salicylic acid is an issue? I've been eating less and less foods and am now eating chicken, beef and water.  I was eating more but last week my functional doctor put me on a paleo protein drink and at the end of day 1 I reacted to it. So he switched me to just protein and water, but told me to continue with the L-Glutamine, which I reacted to today. I'm feeling a little lost. Any further help?? 

Archived