arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Allergic To Everything. Help! What Can I Eat? Anyone Else Like This?

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#16 monika

monika

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of being gluten free, my nautropath got results from BioTek's ELISA IgG food testing for some 100 foods. It broke my heart when she came in and announced that I had "major digestive problems."

I got the same test done and doctor told me I was the worse one he has ever seen hahah. I carry my list around and I'm staring to get used to it. It's horrible becasue I read lables and everything contains something I can't have! It frustrates me so much and I take forever at the grocery store and come out with so little. The doctor says it's for life and that just shocked me, cause I thought it was something that I would be able to get over after a while. Though he did say that I can have some of the food from time to time in moderation. Also the very low reaction ones can be eaten if I am unable to avoid them. It's really hard and the tempatation is eveything but just start going to your grocery store, go through every asile and look at every item. Yes it will take forever and you will frustrated but in the end you will come out with something. even if it is just one thing.

I still haven't finished going throguh the entire store but I now know that there are a few items I can have.

Hope this help

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

I got the same test done and doctor told me I was the worse one he has ever seen hahah. I carry my list around and I'm staring to get used to it. It's horrible becasue I read lables and everything contains something I can't have! It frustrates me so much and I take forever at the grocery store and come out with so little. The doctor says it's for life and that just shocked me, cause I thought it was something that I would be able to get over after a while. Though he did say that I can have some of the food from time to time in moderation. Also the very low reaction ones can be eaten if I am unable to avoid them. It's really hard and the tempatation is eveything but just start going to your grocery store, go through every asile and look at every item. Yes it will take forever and you will frustrated but in the end you will come out with something. even if it is just one thing.

I still haven't finished going throguh the entire store but I now know that there are a few items I can have.

Hope this help

After you start reading past posts on this forum, you'll see that doctors don't know everything about nutrition. A lot of people here distrust their doctors because many have been given bad information. There are some people (me) who have good doctors, but I have read some horror stories about doctors that give you doomsday diagnoses that turn out to be complete phooey.

People have problems with foods that clear up after they abstain for a while - that could be a short while or long while, but there are many people who go back to eating a wide range of foods. This is especially true for Celiacs. Our tummies have been tortured and need time to heal. After we are better, our tummies can start digesting foods that we used to have problems with.

Be cautious with your doc's advice. It's very difficult to give up a lot of foods, but you could start with a small diet and try adding in foods one at a time to see if they actually give you problems.

You'll find people on this forum who are/have been in your exact situation. Keep posting and you'll get the support you need.

For now, shop the perimeter of the grocery store where there isn't a lot of processed foods and you don't have to read labels. Chicken has chicken in it. Apple has apple in it. You can make a grilled chicken salad with apple and your dressing can be vinegar or fresh lemon juice (if you can tolerate that - it's what I use).

I hope you feel better soon and your spirits lift.
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#18 monika

monika

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

People have problems with foods that clear up after they abstain for a while - that could be a short while or long while, but there are many people who go back to eating a wide range of foods. This is especially true for Celiacs. Our tummies have been tortured and need time to heal. After we are better, our tummies can start digesting foods that we used to have problems with.

Be cautious with your doc's advice. It's very difficult to give up a lot of foods, but you could start with a small diet and try adding in foods one at a time to see if they actually give you problems.

You'll find people on this forum who are/have been in your exact situation. Keep posting and you'll get the support you need.

The werid thing is I never really noticed that I had a problem with food. I started noticing that I was getting really sick and I wasn't able to get better. This went on for about 2 years. I did feel sick after I would eat anything but I just shrugged it off. Then I got the test done and it changed everything! Yeah it's super hard to not eat those food and I am going to look into a second opinion but I have noticed since the change in diet I've felt so much better. I'm no longer sick, I have alot more energy and even my allergies have gotten better. Sometimes I do eat something I shouldn't and now I feel a little what i would call a knot in my stomach but for the most part I am fine.

Thanks for your advice :)

#19 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

Our son's ELISA showed reactions to all his favorite foods. We were not surprised to learn that with a leaky gut, the body will have IgG reactions especially to just about anything you eat. That's why we're now trying to heal our guts with the GAPS Diet. According to the theory, once the gut is "sealed," many of the food reactions will go away. Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride recommends doing the Intro Diet which is limited to homemade soups with the meat from the bones, cooked vegetables, and home-fermented foods. Foods that are not on the safe list are to be avoided, but as you continue with the diet, she doesn't advise avoiding everything that showed up on an ELISA. IgE allergens are to be avoided, though.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: