This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Does Anyone Else React To Skittles?

Newtoitall

Newtoitall Enthusiast

I checked the ingrediants, nothing that I know of to be gluten, so I went ahead and it seemed fine, but it seems to make my stomach kinda feel heavy, if that makes any sense to anyone.

Open Original Shared Link <-- look what I found =O

Anyone get reactions to anything in that? if so what happens to you, Just looking for more insight to figure out my own situation.

thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

annegirl Explorer

Oh gross. I regret eating skittles! :P

I do react to Skittles, but it's because of the corn. As I remember, it was listed on the back that it was gluten free. Though, with ingredients like that I'd say run out and buy a fresh pineapple for a treat instead of eating those! ;)

Poppi Enthusiast

I react to skittles because of the food colouring but aside from that they made me feel gross because of the sheer vast amount of sugar entering my blood stream all at once.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I do, but only because of the corn ingredient. I bloat and cramp some after eating them. No glutened feeling, just tummy troubles.Same with starbrust, gluten-free jelly beans, hard candy and peeps. All gluten-free, but all have high fructose corn syrup. It took me awhile to figure it out.

HS7474 Apprentice

What about the dextrin in them? Could that be the problem? I was completely unaware that I was supposed to be avoiding whatever this is :huh: Perhaps the dextrin is wheat derived?

Chad Sines Rising Star

Well, they are just a junk food full of unneeded sugar. It really makes sense that it should cause issues. I love them and am in no way a healthy eater, so do not take this as insulting as it may sound. It was a statement someone made to me recently that was an aha moment in some eating choices of mine.

Newtoitall Enthusiast

I do, but only because of the corn ingredient. I bloat and cramp some after eating them. No glutened feeling, just tummy troubles.Same with starbrust, gluten-free jelly beans, hard candy and peeps. All gluten-free, but all have high fructose corn syrup. It took me awhile to figure it out.

So does corn in general bother you or just, Corn starch? or corn syrup.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

annegirl Explorer

I don't know about CarolinaKip, but I have a huge issue with all things corn derived. Xanthan Gum, cornstarch, caramel color, HFCS, table salt with dextrose in it etc.

I'm so sensitive to it that I've gotten horribly sick from cc with potato chips, and I also had a reaction to Namaste products which are suppose to be corn free (but have xanthan gum that they won't tell me the origin of).

I've been too scared to test it, but I almost feel like I react worse to the derivatives than I do the whole thing like popcorn etc.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

So does corn in general bother you or just, Corn starch? or corn syrup.

All corn and corn products bother me. I am corn free and if I slip up, I pay for it! I am mostly a whole foods diet, but sometimes feel deprived. I did eat corn chips or another grain once a month. Corn is the worst for me. After I ate my last corn chips, I decided it wasn't worth the pain and bloat the next day.

Chad Sines Rising Star

All corn and corn products bother me. I am corn free and if I slip up, I pay for it! I am mostly a whole foods diet, but sometimes feel deprived. I did eat corn chips or another grain once a month. Corn is the worst for me. After I ate my last corn chips, I decided it wasn't worth the pain and bloat the next day.

You know. I had never thought about HFCS or regular corn syrup till you just said that.

Katrala Contributor

Skittles says they are gluten-free on the package.

No, they aren't the healthiest choice, but they should be safe in terms of gluten.

Woolygimp Contributor

Skittles says they are gluten-free on the package.

No, they aren't the healthiest choice, but they should be safe in terms of gluten.

They should be safe, unfortunately it's not just gluten that give most of us problems. I thought it was for me and wasted 2+ years doing a gluten-free diet by the book without improvement. Corn & Dairy were big offenders that I always thought were safe.

heatherjane Contributor

What about the dextrin in them? Could that be the problem? I was completely unaware that I was supposed to be avoiding whatever this is :huh: Perhaps the dextrin is wheat derived?

If it was wheat derived it would have to say so in the ingredients. Skittles are gluten free.

Archived