This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Update On My Big "d"

Nancy19

Nancy19 Rookie

Hi everyone -

Just chiming in to give you an update on the diarrhea I had in April, as I mentioned in this thread - New Symptom; Doctor Won't Test for Celiac

I've been diarrhea-free for about a week now! Yay! :D It lasted for about a month, and it still just boggles my mind that nothing showed up on those tests. I still wonder how it could have been a virus or food poisoning, as my doctor said, because it didn't show up on the tests. But if it wasn't that, then what?

Anyway, I'm pretty much back to my regular diet, although I make sure to take a Lactaid tablet when I have dairy, and so far things seem to be okay (I still get a little gassy at times. *blush*). I've decided not to have any further testing done at this time - I'm feeling pretty much back to normal and I've read a couple of threads where some of you who have had official diagnoses are having problems getting health insurance because of celiac. Although I have insurance, I had a difficult time getting it because of my weight, so I don't want to take any chances, just in case.

I still think I might be sensitive or allergic to something (besides the lactose), so I'm going to keep track of any gastric symptoms I have and see if I can discern a pattern. I may end up going gluten free anyway. I don't need any kind of official diagnosis to do that!

Which brings me to a question - if someone who is not gluten sensitive or does not have celiac, are there any benefits to going gluten-free? I have a friend who has gone gluten free and when I asked her if she had celiac, she said no, but she was doing it because it's supposed to be a healthier way of eating. But when I talked to her she was frosting gluten-free cupcakes!!

Also, I just want to thank everyone who responded to the original thread that I posted the link to above - I really appreciate all of your help! I've been reading some of the other threads on these boards, and you guys are really a treasure trove of information on celiac and living a gluten-free lifestyle! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

Which brings me to a question - if someone who is not gluten sensitive or does not have celiac, are there any benefits to going gluten-free? I have a friend who has gone gluten free and when I asked her if she had celiac, she said no, but she was doing it because it's supposed to be a healthier way of eating. But when I talked to her she was frosting gluten-free cupcakes!!

According to some of the recent medical literature, people with the following conditions may benefit considerably from a gluten-free diet:

- Rheumatoid arthritis

- Multiple sclerosis

- Parkinson’s disease

- Neuromyelitis (inflammation of the nervous system)

- Peripheral neuropathies

- Seizures

- Autism

- Ataxia

- Late-onset Friedreich ataxia

- Down’s syndrome

- Cognitive problems (brain fog)

- Osteoporosis

- Type 2 and Type 1 diabetes

- Anemia

I would caution you to be very sure you dont want ANY further testing for celiacs before going gluten free. A gluten challenge :ph34r: is not something I would wish on anyone.

Has your doctor suggested allergy testing or an elimination diet to rule out any possible allergy ?

Glad you are feeling better :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Since I had, or for in some cases was thought to have, 11 out of the 14 diseases that you list I have to wonder if for some of us the root problem isn't the undiagnosed celiac. In my case the only one that remains is the osteoporosis. It is amazing how many body systems are affected by celiac when most doctors only associate it with GI distress. How many people could get relief or remission from so many problems if doctors would develop better testing? Not saying the diet is a cure all for everything but there have to be others who would greatly benefit far beyond what they think is possible.

Archived