14 replies to this topic

#1 bridgetm

bridgetm

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:05 AM

I've read in a few posts lately that Nature Valley has some bars labelled gluten-free, but I've looked at the almond crunch and sweet and salty packages and they have wheat in them. Was I looking at an old shipment? Are the gluten-free ones new?

I hope I can find the good ones: those would be a life saver.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:14 AM

I've read in a few posts lately that Nature Valley has some bars labelled gluten-free, but I've looked at the almond crunch and sweet and salty packages and they have wheat in them. Was I looking at an old shipment? Are the gluten-free ones new?

The gluten-free Nature Valley bars are not the granola kind. The only one I've bought is called Almond Crunch (haven't seen the Peanut Crunch yet). They've been available for quite awile and are prominently marked gluten-free on the front of the package.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:27 AM

The gluten-free Nature Valley bars are not the granola kind. The only one I've bought is called Almond Crunch (haven't seen the Peanut Crunch yet). They've been available for quite awile and are prominently marked gluten-free on the front of the package.

That's the one I looked at. I'll try a different store today; CVS probably isn't the most reliable source.

#4 AmandaD

AmandaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

I've had them before - they're not very good though - I found them to be really dry!

Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:22 AM

I've had them before - they're not very good though - I found them to be really dry!

Not to mention crunchy! But I do carry one in my purse so I'm never without something to eat.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

Not to mention crunchy! But I do carry one in my purse so I'm never without something to eat.

I figure they'll be a nice change from the bars I've been eating: dried fruit and puffed rice will only carry you so far.

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

I love these things. They are basically a variety of nuts with salt, stuck together with a sweet coating. Yum! Be careful if you have a loose filling! :P

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:28 AM

I love these things. They are basically a variety of nuts with salt, stuck together with a sweet coating. Yum! Be careful if you have a loose filling! :P

I was going to say the same thing! I broke a tooth eating these. They seem to either be really hard or really crumbly in my experience but they are tasty. Here's a blog entry that has pictures of the boxes so you know what to look for: http://www.beyondric...-delicious.html

I have never found the peanut ones, only the almond. If your stores don't carry these ask if they can get them. They are such a mainstream product most store should be willing to start carrying them. It can't hurt to ask anyway ;)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#9 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

I was going to say the same thing! I broke a tooth eating these. They seem to either be really hard or really crumbly in my experience but they are tasty. Here's a blog entry that has pictures of the boxes so you know what to look for: http://www.beyondric...-delicious.html

I have never found the peanut ones, only the almond. If your stores don't carry these ask if they can get them. They are such a mainstream product most store should be willing to start carrying them. It can't hurt to ask anyway ;)

Thanks! Now I'm excited to go grocery shopping. Come to think of it, I'm a bit overdue for a trip to the dentist as well...

#10 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

Thanks! Now I'm excited to go grocery shopping. Come to think of it, I'm a bit overdue for a trip to the dentist as well...

LOL! I had to go to the dentist for the first time in 6 years when I was eating these and broke a tooth. I had just gotten insurance recently and was planning on going anyway, but had been putting it off...boy do I regret that! Fortunately I didn't have any cavities and the dentist could just patch my broken tooth (no root canal) but he did chide me for waiting so long to have a cleaning done. I won't do that again--I'm having regular cleanings twice a year from now on, especially now that I know that celaics are more prone to dental problems.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#11 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

They are yummy! Kind Bars are a little less crunchy if you want that. Their yogurt covered fruit and nut bars are very addicting!!

#12 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:39 AM

Love them. I even got my dad addicted to them who is not gluten free.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#13 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

I finally found a box of the Almond Crunch at Target the other day. They are kind of dry and really hard, but this is my new favorite snack. Since they crumble so easily anyway I might start breaking the bars apart and adding them to trail mix. They'd be great with some chocolate chips and craisins :)

#14 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:25 AM

They are good but they're so hard they hurt my teeth! But, beggers can't be choosers right?

#15 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:24 AM

But, beggers can't be choosers right?

I heard that from my mom a few times while we were shopping. The Target I went to only had the Almond Crunch flavor labeled gluten free. I picked it up and said "I heard there's at least one more gluten-free flavor; this looks good but I was hoping for more options." Her response: "Just be happy that they have this one box and that you're finally shopping in the mainstream snack aisle again. And they're cheap!"

Yes, ma'am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: