32 replies to this topic

#16 SFaughn78

SFaughn78

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:37 AM

I just had two of them and I felt fine*. I believe they are distilled so it should be safe enough.

*UPDATE: Actually I'm not so sure I felt fine... sometimes it's hard to tell.

Have been Gluten Free for 2 weeks. Went out last night and had 2 mikes. Big mistake....... Nasty headaches(migraine, not hangover), nasty stomache problems too. :( Same issues as before I went gluten free. I didn't even think about it having gluten. I will never do that again. In just 2 weeks of being gluten free I have noticed a drastic difference in IBS, headaches and other issues I have had. Actually have a 8 year old, 40 lbs son that has been diagnosed as asthmatic, anemic and failure to thrive. Been referred o an endocrinologist, but think he might have celiacs. Also have a 13 year old autistic son and a 6 year old daughter that is lactose intolerant, but still having stomache issues(neg. for celiacs-blood test).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Pame

Pame

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:07 PM

you can make your own with fresh lemonade and vodka, much tastier but not just a grab and drink drink. Always more prep for us

#18 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

you can make your own with fresh lemonade and vodka, much tastier but not just a grab and drink drink. Always more prep for us

I think I saw some little gurlz selling that on the sidewalk last week. Silly gurlz... :D
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#19 sherrylynn

sherrylynn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

Just to warn ya. My daughter told me that american vodka is made out of grains. don't know what grain it is made out of. But, Russan vadka is still made out of potatoes. :P

#20 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:11 AM

Just to warn ya. My daughter told me that american vodka is made out of grains. don't know what grain it is made out of. But, Russan vadka is still made out of potatoes. :P

Potato vodka will clearly say potato vodka on the label. There are some really good ones out there and they are usually top shelf brands. Not all of us have to avoid distilled gluten but I am someone who does.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#21 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

My daughter told me that american vodka is made out of grains. don't know what grain it is made out of.

Corn is common. Smirnoff, as just one example, is made from corn.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

When I go out, I stick with rum and Coke or, depending on the bar, a whiskey 7. None of the bars around here serve gluten-free beer and Woodchuck is too sweet for me. Hard liquor is easy because if you have one or two favorite brands you're guaranteed to find at least one at every bar/restaurant.

#23 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

I believe I saw a Mike's "Lite" hard lemonade at the store. I didn't see any malts listed as the ingredients and believe it is gluten free. It's also only like 2% alchohol so I opted for good ol' Redbridge instead.
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#24 killernj13

killernj13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

OK this is new to me. I was always under the impression in Canada it was gluten-free but in the US it was not. Now there is that statement from the company about the processing removing the gluten. This is causing great concern about this product since it is made from malt which is normally a no no.
I guess this will be left to the individual as we all know there are some you partake in distilled hard stuff and there are some that won't.

I still drink vodka and other stuff so I think personally I will give it a try.

This is also similar to that new Spanish beer that is claiming to have gluten but lower than the legal linit amount.

#25 jeannieknits

jeannieknits

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

I used to love these--drank them in the summer all the time and couldn't figure out why I had the worst stomach issues afterward.....

I consider them on my "not safe" list.

:(
celiac/gluten intolerance diagnosed in July of 2010
hemochromatosis (genetic iron storage disorder) diagnosed at the same time. The two diseases have been linked in studies.

also have atrial fibrillation, and poor weight gain.
diagnosed with fibromyalgia 4/2011.

gluten free since july 2010.
investigating other food sensitivities daily!

#26 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

OK this is new to me. I was always under the impression in Canada it was gluten-free but in the US it was not. Now there is that statement from the company about the processing removing the gluten. This is causing great concern about this product since it is made from malt which is normally a no no.
I guess this will be left to the individual as we all know there are some you partake in distilled hard stuff and there are some that won't.

I still drink vodka and other stuff so I think personally I will give it a try.

This is also similar to that new Spanish beer that is claiming to have gluten but lower than the legal linit amount.

Different people have different tolerance levels. Being 'below the legal limit' doesn't mean it is safe for all. We have to keep in mind that the legal limit can change, it used to be 200ppm now it is 20ppm and for some of us that is still too high. Also in some countries what is in these products differ. In the US for example wine coolers are malt based beverages but that is not the case in all.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#27 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

I loved these things but I don't think I will chance it.

Perhaps some nice lemonade with some soda water and a splash of vodka?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#28 killernj13

killernj13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

Well, I had a few last night. I am feeling a little off but no major bouts of issues. I brought a 6 pack. Maybe I will have the other 3 over the weekend. If I feel "off" again I probably will look at this as a failed experiment.

#29 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:25 AM

Malt is not safe. I don't think the distillation process of a malt beverage changes the fact that it is malt. Granted, malt isn't one of the items that triggers a HUGE reaction in me...for the first year of my diagnosis I was still eating Rice Krispies because my then doctor told me they were gluten free (mind you this was 7 years ago) but I honestly think its foolish to risk it when its very clearly stated that celiac disease and a gluten free diet means to avoid wheat, rye, barely and malt.

Just my two or three cents!

#30 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:16 PM

One problem with liquor - any liquor - is that it often falls into the category of 'processed in a facility that also processes wheat.' If a company is making any alcohol out of a gluten grain, distilled or not, then gluten is in the facility. That ups the cc risks.

Also, one of the big issues with barley malt is that the test for gluten is less accurate with barley gluten.
( http://glutenfreewor...ten-free-foods/ )

shauna

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: