15 replies to this topic

#1 jay88

jay88

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:28 AM

Hi everyone thought id share with everyone my good news!I have grown up with chronic insomnia roughly from the age of 6 I was always fatigued and tired and struggled throughout my childhood and then finally the breakthrough came at the age of 21 (so thats 15 years of sleeping 1 hour a night!) I decided to take an IgG food intolerance test and shown I had positive reactions for gliaden and cows milk! and now after a long wait, (about 4 months in fact!) Im officially no longer an Insomniac, i started sleeping it still takes me an hour to drop off but when i do i sleep through the night.

I do just sit there and think to myself I have been ill my whole life due to food!! its scary to think

Unfortunatly, I still have Brain fog which i can not for the life of me get rid of!

hope this gives people hope :)

James
Gluten, Egg, Diary free Aug 10
Shellfish free Nov 11
Orange free Feb 11

Very Ill as a child, chronic insomnia from the age of 6. Servere brain fog and headaches from age of 17. Paid 100 for an IgG food antibodies test in August 2010 started food log Feb 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Hi everyone thought id share with everyone my good news!I have grown up with chronic insomnia roughly from the age of 6 I was always fatigued and tired and struggled throughout my childhood and then finally the breakthrough came at the age of 21 (so thats 15 years of sleeping 1 hour a night!) I decided to take an IgG food intolerance test and shown I had positive reactions for gliaden and cows milk! and now after a long wait, (about 4 months in fact!) Im officially no longer an Insomniac, i started sleeping it still takes me an hour to drop off but when i do i sleep through the night.

I do just sit there and think to myself I have been ill my whole life due to food!! its scary to think

Unfortunatly, I still have Brain fog which i can not for the life of me get rid of!

hope this gives people hope :)

James

That is great!
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#3 viviendoparajesus

viviendoparajesus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

that is great your sleeping better and not having insomnia any more. my sleep got better too when i went off gluten. i used to have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep.
Misdiagnosed - IBS, TMJ, eczema, KP, etc
Real Diagnosis - Gluten & Casein (milk protein) Intolerance, Cross Reactivity to Yeast & Buckwheat
Recommend: Tests: Entero Labs Gluten Sensitivity & Gene Testing
Books: * Allergies by Dr. Carolee Bateson-Koch (digestion, yeast, parasites, body pH...)
* Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms by Dr. Datis Kharrazian (gluten & autoimmune problems)
* Change Your Brain Change Your Life by Dr. Daniel Amen (foods, supplements...)
Supplements: * digestive enzymes, * probiotics (dairy free - Klaire Labs - Pro5)

#4 Mummyto3

Mummyto3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

I'm another insomniac. I struggle to get to sleep and then when I do, i wake up 2 to 3 times in the night. Whats gliadin???
Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like no one is watching.

#5 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

I've had chronic insomnia for years but the past nearly four it has worsened due to severe chronic pain. It takes a couple of hours to fall asleep then I wake up probably 20-30 times a night. It is difficult for me to get into a good position so I must move often. :huh:

It would be AWESOME if I were to find that this is also related to my celiac. I have been strictly gluten-free nearly five months and would be thrilled if my insomnia improves on this diet.

Edited by love2travel, 27 June 2011 - 02:44 PM.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

I used to have insomina. It went away when I went gluten-free. I notice right away when I've accidently injested gluten, because I get maybe an hour's worth of sleep. I'll just lay there and wish, and thoses of you who know, I fidget. I hate the fidgets. :ph34r:
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#7 gailc

gailc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

Same for me HOORAY, except when I get dosed.
I used to wake up more tired than when i went to bed, then as the day went on I'd feel better then tired around 8 and second wind around 9 then stay up until about 3.
Now i get tired around bed time and then REALLY tired and fall asleep right away. SWometimes I get tired earlier wake up about 7 hours later to discover I'd missed dinner.
I guess that's ok

I feel good when I wake up now

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

Whats gliadin???

Gliadin proteins comprise one of the two main protein groups in gluten.

http://www.celiac.co...adin/Page1.html

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 Newbee

Newbee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

Looks like I've had celiac my whole life (I'm 37) and just getting diagnosed now because I asked to be tested for it. I've never slept well. I'm soooooooo looking forward to when I heal and hopefully can sleep well!!

#10 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

I've had insomnia all my life - sort of. I am one of those people whose biological clock is set differently. I can fall asleep quickly during the day, but after dark I would lie awake for hours. For the past ten years or so, I also had trouble staying asleep. I'd sleep for two hours, then wake up and couldn't get back to sleep. So I'd get up and read for a while, then after an hour or two I'd go back to bed and sleep another hour or two - then repeat until morning.

Since going gluten free, I sleep seven or eight hours straight, every night. If this were the ONLY benefit of a gluten free diet, it would be worth it. I feel GOOD!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#11 lovesaceliac

lovesaceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:28 AM

Unfortunately, this hasn't been the case for my husband who has been a chronic insomniac for over ten years. Going gluten free two years ago has totally changed our life - he's healthier, happier, thinner, stronger, etc...but still has restless leg syndrome and still sleeps poorly. Sleep is definatley worse when he gets glutened, but pretty bad all the time. As someone who shares a bed with him I've noticed on his particularly bad nights (anxiety attacks, bad RLS, etc.) his whole body seems to radiate heat. He gets so warm that it's uncomfortable for me to touch him. Anyone else have additional solutions to sleep problems?

#12 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

I know this sounds crazy, but it works for restless leg syndrome. Put a bar of soap under the bottom sheet near his legs. I'm serious. They don't know WHY it works, but it truly DOES work.

For leg cramps, try a teaspoon of mustard before bed, or if not mustard, try pickle juice. Another crazy home remedy that really works.

#13 lovesaceliac

lovesaceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

I just read several online testimonials about the bar of soap remedy. A miracle for some, doesn't work for others. But hey, might as well give it a try. I'm going to put it in bed tonight w/o telling him and I'll report back. :)

#14 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:20 PM

I just read several online testimonials about the bar of soap remedy. A miracle for some, doesn't work for others. But hey, might as well give it a try. I'm going to put it in bed tonight w/o telling him and I'll report back. :)

Make sure it is unwrapped.

#15 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

B vitamins and magnesium are two remedies often suggested on this board. I used to have low grade fevers and wake up sweating a lot. Most likely there is still something in his diet that he is reacting to. Additional food intolerances are common with celiac disease. Any of the top 8 food allergens are possible or multiple foods for that matter. Soy and dairy are fairly common problems but so are nightshades, eggs, corn, nuts etc, etc.

There are a couple threads on "night sweats" on the board.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: