Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Whey Protein Powder

8 posts in this topic

I drink a Whey Protein shake everyday, and the company ensured me it was gluten free. Should I be staying away from it?

Deb

Ads by Google:

As long as you don't have a dairy allergy/intolerance, you should be fine :)

- Michelle :wub:

Whey has nothing to do with gluten...it has to do with milk. So as Michelle said, as long as you are fine with dairy then you should be ok

Thanks guys

I was just reading earlier about a gal here on the forum who said she could have a certain margarine because it contained whey, and in my stupidity wasn't thinking it would be a dairy intolerance. Ah Duh!!!!!!!!! I'm just panicing over everything, trying to be absolute gluten-free and see if I start feeling better. Been too long in denial and dabbling and time to smarten up.

Thanks again,

Deb

Sorry, I meant to say she couldn't have a certain margerine. Damn brain fog anyway.

Deb

Whey is, I believe, a milk fat...gluten-free, anyway

Whey & Casein are actually milk *proteins* - whey in particular is a great source of protein for vegetarians. It's in just about every protein shake & bar there is! It's simply the protein, no fat, no lactose - just protein. Most people don't have a problem with it. It's also in a lot of frozen dinners - as a cheap protein source. After I found out that I'm allergic to dairy, I learned that it's in 98% of the convenience foods I ate! Ack! :blink:

But if you are fine with dairy, then you'll be fine with whey - even if you are lactose intolerant (lactose is the milk sugar and is currently removed from most protein shakes & bars). Enjoy ;)

- Michelle :wub:

Hi Deb

I am lactose intolerant and I also have whey protein powder every day. Just read the labels. Some brands are either lactose free or have very low lactose. I can tolerate both, even though I am very sensititve. Go figure.

When buying protein powder, also keep in mind that some DO have gluten....either in the form of modified food starch or some type of thickener.

Good luck!

Heather : )