3 replies to this topic

#1 JenHarris

JenHarris

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

Tonight I accidentally glutened myself with chili beans (which had modified food starch unbeknownst to me), and within 15 minutes of having my meal I had a severe headache and noticed my hands shaking. (This was 45 minutes ago now). No stomach cramping yet, but I'm sure that's coming. The pain is extending all the way down the back of my head and into my neck and my throat is hurting and seems swollen too... Is this an allergic reaction????

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

Do you have any antihistamine you can take, just in case, such as benedryl or even a claritin would help if it is an allergic reaction.

If you feel your throat swelling up, and do not have antihistamine to take and are alone, please call somebody to stay with you until you are better or get some, if it gets any worse, or you start feeling itchy/faint, go to the ER or call 911.

(yes, before anybody points out that celiac is not an allergy, I know that. But she said "throat swelling."

#3 ladymiss

ladymiss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

aww geez, sorry to hear you are feeling funky! please let us know you're ok when you are up to it. i got the shakes last time i had an allergic reaction.
Lactose Intolerant 2004, Gluten Intolerant 2010
Negative blood test for Celiac 2011, but incomplete testing....
All recent: Soy, casein and egg sensitive. Peanut and Shellfish allergy.
Still learning about what all this means....

Barn's burnt down-
now
I can see the moon.
Masahide, Japanese poet, 1657? 1723

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

Tonight I accidentally glutened myself with chili beans (which had modified food starch unbeknownst to me), and within 15 minutes of having my meal I had a severe headache and noticed my hands shaking. (This was 45 minutes ago now). No stomach cramping yet, but I'm sure that's coming. The pain is extending all the way down the back of my head and into my neck and my throat is hurting and seems swollen too... Is this an allergic reaction????

benadryl asap and get to the ER. Allergic reactions are not something to mess with, i nearly lost my mom to one this past summer (benadryl saved her life according to doctors). She ended up with 3 days in ICU and one in a normal room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: