Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• So far I've had no problems with gluten-free Cherrios and I've been eating them since they started producing the gluten-free line. Generally I will have some reaction to gluten if there is contamination in the product I'm eating. But I'm sure someone has gotten a bad batch or is simply very sensitive to trace amounts of gluten. It's up to each individual to decide whether you want to chance trying them. The article mentioned by squirmingitch sheds light on the problem with anything listed as gluten-free. Contamination can occur at any point in the harvest or processing, and testing may miss it. I also eat Chex, Nature's Path cereals and have tried other brands w/o any problems. I do miss gluten-free Rice Krispies, they made for a nice addition to meat loaf, shame they discontinued the item.
    • Here is another point.  My hubby went gluten-free per the poor advice of his GP and my allergist.  It worked.  A tough first year, but he got well.  Thirteen years later, I got diagnosed with celiac disease.  I was shocked!  😱.   Does he have celiac disease?  We will never know because we can not afford to have him do a challenge.  He refuses and I can not blame him.  He knows he will be very sick!   The point?  I am so lucky that we both can not have gluten.  I never worry about him making me sick or vice versa. We made the house completely gluten free for  1) our health and 2) the fact that our kid started helping in the kitchen. Kids make mistakes and I personally need a safe haven.  She wants gluten?  I buy prepackaged stuff and she takes it to school.  All parties and events at my house are gluten free.  Lots of work, but we stay healthy.  She does not have celiac disease.  When she is preparing for a celiac test,  I send her on the porch to eat cookies or bread or whatever floats her boat.  We travel in a gluten-free RV.  I have five sizes of ice chests.  We just have to be prepared for any event.   How can we live this way?   We love feeling good.
    • Freize is right, you need to think about your environment.   Based on that a study I posted for you, you will note that the patients who were diagnosed with refractory celiac disease and THOUGHT they were diet compliant found that they WERE NOT diet compliant.  How is this possible?   This is way out there, but unless you are growing all your own food, you don't really know if it is gluten free.  In the US, we do have laws to help protect our food supplies (no perfect, but a start).    I can not speak for India.  For example, what about your soy?  It can be contaminated by the farmer as it is often rotated with wheat.  Here is an article by Jane Anderson who has celiac disease.  She is very strict as she has DH (celiac rash), but she cites Trisha Thompson who tests foods for gluton contamination, The gluten-free WatchDog (like Consumer reports).  She found that soy which is naturally gluten free, but can be cross contaminated by wheat: https://www.verywell.com/is-soy-gluten-free-562371 so, start thinking about your food supply. As far as a negative TTG IGA or TTG IGG?  I test negative to both.  Only the DGP IGA has ever been elevated in my blood tests (even repeats), yet I had a Marsh Stage IIIIB on my biopsy.  Have you had a DGP IGG?  (I do not see this in your posting).   http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/ These additonal celiac tests might help you feel confident that you have celiac disease and not something else that is damaging your villi.  But remember, some  folks have celiac disease even with negative blood.  I am not IGA deficient, so this is an area I have not researched.  Not to mention that some celiac researchers do not think that the celiac  antibodies tests are good for diet compliancy.   I wish I had better answers for you.  Try a grain free, whole foods diet of meats, fish, eggs, and vegetables for a while.  All food prepared by you. Who cooks your food now?  Is your home gluten free?  Cross contamination at home?  Kissing a loved one.  We had a doctor with celiac disease who was getting glutened by her little children who were consuming gluten!  
    • I won't say I will never eat out but I can't see me eating out for the foreseeable future. Even then, I will most likely only eat at a dedicated gluten free place. I am extremely sensitive to the tiniest amount of gluten and it's just not worth the risk to me. Eating out is playing Russian Roulette as far as I'm concerned and I'm not ready to play that game yet.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    GlutenFreeGreg