This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Camping And A Picnic

elfdream

elfdream Rookie

I have two separate events coming up soon. Next week-end I will be camping out for two nights for a large Scouting event. Husband and I will be cooking our own food at our site. It will probably be cooked on a Coleman Camping stove..the other is a picnic.

For the camp out the food will just be for me and hubby. Husband thinks it might be worth it to make the food at home and then just take it there in a cooler and then heat it up. That might work for something like chili.

If 'possible' for the picnic I'd like to share something that even gluten eating people can enjoy. Are there any good casseroles that anyone can recommend? I can tolerate cheese btw. I'd also like to take a desert.

I will google recipes on my own but just wanted to see if you all could share what works and what doesn't!

I'm still new to this!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

My hub & son are big Scout campers. They have some yummy gluten-free stuff. I think I posted it here before. I'll look and post some when the boys leave for school.

collgwg Contributor

i would like to know about this as well :D

i have a camping trip coming up as well and potlucks that i would love to take a gluten-free meal for everyone to try

i too am looking up recpies through the net

boy it sure can get overwhelming :blink:

kareng Grand Master

OK. I'm back. The oldest managed to break a glass on his way out the door trying to take his Claritin.

The foil packets would work on a stove I think. They make great stuff in dutch ovens with hot charcoal. We have made some at home, they are yummy but wouldn't work for a gas stove.

You could do burgers, eggs, anything you can cook on a stove top. If they are cooking with coals, you could bring your own cast iron dutch oven. If you decide to do that, I have a great recipe for jambalya and green chili pork or chicken casserole.

Asianmom Newbie

What type of thing are you looking to take! I LOVE to cook, and would like to share a recipe...but are you thinking.....mac n cheese....pasta salad....cheesey potato bake...none of these are really hard...just a bit time consuming...taco salad...let me think about desserts...I tend to just do a really big fruit salad with kiwi, fresh pineapple, strawberries, papaya, mango, grapes etc OR gluten-free cupcakes...the betty crocker ones and pipe icing...or cookies. The 123 pantry (i think that's the brand name) of brownies are SO yummy and most of my gluten friends do not even know they are gluten-free.

Have fun!!!

Mizzo Enthusiast

camping:

most important ALUMINUM FOIL and cooking spray believe me anything can be done with it.

I freeze ahead pre marinaded chicken , steak or pork chops (THICK CHOPS or they will dry out)

bring onion , peppers, mushroom and some whole potatoes, corn on cob or frozen bags of veggies if you are keeping a cooler

steak with onion , peppers , maybe mushrooms wrap in foil put on coal/grill , wrap potato in foil poke a few holes throw on butter, wrap corn in foil and toss in fire as well

Chicken in soysauce and ginger, wrap in foil put on grill/charcoal , wrap in foil sliced potato in thick slices layer with onion , peppers and butter

Pork chops in ginger, soysauce and orange zest wrap in foil throw on charcoal/grill , quarter potatoes sprinkle with seasoning salt add onion wrap in foil and grill,

If you are willing you can bring rice and try to cook it over the fire , throw in some HERB-OX bouillon into the water for flavoring

You can cook Asparagus, green beans,broccoli, cauliflower, squash etc... in foil just spray first add a little water if possible for steaming and do not leave on for too long , check every few minutes or they will be mushy.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Two quick things I like gluten-free camping. Baked potato with any gluten-free thing you can thing ofon top bacon, veggies,herbs, butter, chili etc. Also fresh bananas grilled! Pull open one end only, split banana alittle add marshmellows and chocolate chips. Pull that end up wrap in foil and grill!

Dish to share? What types of cooking methods will you have at hand? Do you plan to make ahead or there?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elfdream Rookie

Two quick things I like gluten-free camping. Baked potato with any gluten-free thing you can thing ofon top bacon, veggies,herbs, butter, chili etc. Also fresh bananas grilled! Pull open one end only, split banana alittle add marshmellows and chocolate chips. Pull that end up wrap in foil and grill!

Dish to share? What types of cooking methods will you have at hand? Do you plan to make ahead or there?

For the picnic I'll make it ahead of time. For methods...just about anything but frying.

collgwg Contributor

on wooden sticks or metal put what ever meat and ultranate with potatoes and veggies and roast over the fire or on the bbq

love the foil packet idea you can add anything to that little foil paket and have a great gluten-free meal

Archived