This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does It Get Better?

shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf Proficient

Hello,

I was diagnosed two weeks ago (give or take a day :)).

I've been having symptoms for a long time now (D that starts up very suddenly than lasts either for one day to almost a week sometimes, cramps, etc). It hit a boiling point about a month and a half ago (pain, weird chest stuff, more D then i had ever had before). I had been wanting to have a blood test done before then (just a general to rule out everything you know), but my doctor had refused. 8 doctors visits later (2 ER ones in there as well), i finally got one who decided it would be a good idea to do a blood test to rule out this, an ulcer, and/or pankreas problems (what set this off was the pain and the fact i had lost about 20lbs in about 2 weeks). She said that Celiac would most likely be the least likely (as i had a love for gluten so bad :(). Well one week later (and pain that got worse to the point where i could barely move) i got a diagnosis. The next day i went in to my 'normal' doctor and she confirmed it. I am currently waiting to get into a GI doctor to see if there is anything else i could do (my moms suggestion).

As of right now, the diet change has helped. I'm not in constant pain, however i still get my bouts (along with this chest/indigestion whatever it is stuff). I've only been tied to bed (where i have been in too much pain to move) once since the diet change.

My question is does it get better?

I'm still very tired, having chest indigestion whatever it is stuff (yes, i have had a doctor check it out :( however it came back all normal). My mom thinks (on the chest stuff), that since this is all interconnected that my body is just trying to cope and get back to normal. My appitite has been blahish, almost nonexistant. I eat every two hours or so (grazing to avoid being lightheaded).

The diet hasn't been much of a problem, i'm slowly adjusting. Its just i'm about to go mad. I'm sick of feeling like this.

Please tell me it gets better.

(it should be noted that i have aspergers syndrome, adhd, and stress issues, and i can't help but wonder if stress is playing a role in all of this. I'm a student in college that has like two days left (along with finals) and perhaps the stress of that is playing a role in this).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

Dear Shadow,

You will definitely feel so much better! :)

Hang in there, good luck with your exams, and know that your best days then (and now) will be worse than your worst days once you heal and get on a even keel. At least that's what I've discovered!

Again, good luck!

Tina V Newbie

yes it does get better!

I can completely understand your situation. I was diagnosed during finals of my sophmore year and it is completely miserable trying to make all those changes during an already stressful time. The change in diet will have some immediate affects, but it will take a few months for your body to heal and figure out what this new normal is. With your new diet you want to make sure that you are getting all the important vitamins and minerals so think about having a conversation with a dietition to make sure you are covering your bases. I had muscle cramping in my chest for the first couple months and figured out that it was due to a vitamin difficiancy.

Switching to a gluten free life takes some work, but you will feel so much better as your body heals.

KuKuKaChoo52 Newbie

I think stress does play a role... I haven't been gluten free for a year yet, bet close and have found that when I have tests and stay up late studying and the day of the test I feel awful. I am in college also, so the finals week for me is the worst week of the quarter because even though I feel like i'm eating all the same stuff my stomach feels way worse.

I'd like to hear more about the stress part from people with any knowledge on that issue =]

Hope you continue to improve and kick butt on your tests, GUD LUCK!

RyManChu21 Newbie

Does it get any better? :huh:

Absolutely.

When people have celiac and then stop eating gluten, their body starts healing automatically. Somethings will, of course, take longer than others as you may well imagine.

However, in the long run of a gluten-free lifestyle, people often end up in better shape than they thought possible! How? well, a lot of people have mental disorders in association with celiac. For instance, I feel terrible when eating gluten. It slows down my thought process, it takes away my self-motivation, and it makes every little chore seem like a days worth of work. It is an unlivable nightmare. So without gluten in my diet, I feel free and able to do anything that I could possibly put my mind to! And that is how I believe a gluten free lifestyle gets better.

p.s.

Your body organs' cells die off and others replace them. This means that in time, you will build for yourself a new body.

in 3-4 months, BAM. new tract.

it takes apporx. one year to rebuild the human body with all new cells.

cahill Collaborator

My question is does it get better?

Please tell me it gets better.

Yes , it does get better :D

I felt sooooo much better after going gluten free but it was not until I eliminated additional intolerances ( for me it was soy and nightshades ) and 2 unknown allergys (eggs and almonds) that my body finally started to recover and heal.

GFinDC Veteran

Yep, it gets better, with some work on your part. Most of us have additional food intolerances beyond gluten (wheat, rye, barley, oats), and we have to learn/discover those too. They are not set for each person, they vary.

At first you need to concentrate on avoiding all gluten, and eating a whole foods diet. Also, keeping your diet fairly simple. Not eating lots of processed snacks and such, or eating out. Also taking some pro-biotics every so often is good.

The biggies that get a lot of us are gluten, soy, nightshades, and/or casein. So it wouldn't hurt to avoid those for a few months and re-introduce them later, one at a time.

Your GI system is now a sensitive time bomb waiting to explode if you mistreat it. You need to learn how to defuse that time bomb by changing your way of eating.

If you do defuse it, (and it takes patience/persistence), then the rewards are great.

And better! :D You can do it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Thank you everyone :D It makes me feel a little better to hear that.

My finals are finally over and i get to return home tommorow :) I'm hoping once i'm back into my 'normal' routine of things it should help some. I also intend to try to make some chicken soup, since it has 'healing' properties, i figured why not try and make it?

I'm keeping my dairy intake very low at the moment. I had a single slice of cheese today and it didn't give me any problems (i was hurting before i ate so i'm pretty sure that it wasn't the cause of it). I'm not much into soy so thats easy to stay away from. The gluten free bread i have been nibbleing on is egg/gluten/soy/nut free. I'm still eating very little though. My doctor said that was fine, as long as i've been drinking water (i'm somewhat overweight so she wasn't too concerned about it).

MissBonnie Apprentice

i dont want this to come out wrong, but im so glad someone is in the same boat as me! i suffered like you for 6 months. i have been gluten free for 2 months and yes it gets better!! you will improve daily, but just know you will have days of feeling like crap. this is normal. although your level of feeling low gradually gets higher nd higher which is great. be patient friend, it does get to you i know. but when you have good days, get up and do things because you never know how long they will last! i went shopping alot in the beginning because i could walk at my own pace and if i got tired and sick i could come home. hope you get the strength up to do something like that very soon. im expecting my recovery will take a few more months so i have to pearn patience too. its hard! but know that you are not alone. im so glad to have found you and know that you are going through what i have!

Archived