This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

3 Subjects: Organic, Shampoo/cleaners, And Facilities

KuKuKaChoo52

KuKuKaChoo52 Newbie

I am just a little unclear on a few things and thought I could find some help here.

Organic fruits/vegetables/etc... - Is this stuff necessary for people who do not tolerate gluten well? Or can I continue to eat other non organic?

Shampoos/soaps/conditioner/etc... - Is it necessary to find gluten free of these somewhere? If so, can you let me know some good cheap sources?

Facilities that use wheat and gluten- So I don't eat food that was produced in facilities that use wheat and gluten anymore, but is it bad for me to be in a facility that does so? Just breathing it in? Say I worked at a bakery or something( I do not just wondering...)

Just thought of a 4th one from the ad on the screen, OATMEAL, I eat bobs red mill gluten free oatmeal. I have heard discussion about oatmeal still not being good for some gluten free individuals. Is this true, should I lay off this?

I appreciate any response! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am just a little unclear on a few things and thought I could find some help here.

Organic fruits/vegetables/etc... - Is this stuff necessary for people who do not tolerate gluten well? Or can I continue to eat other non organic?

Shampoos/soaps/conditioner/etc... - Is it necessary to find gluten free of these somewhere? If so, can you let me know some good cheap sources?

Facilities that use wheat and gluten- So I don't eat food that was produced in facilities that use wheat and gluten anymore, but is it bad for me to be in a facility that does so? Just breathing it in? Say I worked at a bakery or something( I do not just wondering...)

Just thought of a 4th one from the ad on the screen, OATMEAL, I eat bobs red mill gluten free oatmeal. I have heard discussion about oatmeal still not being good for some gluten free individuals. Is this true, should I lay off this?

I appreciate any response! :)

Organic- We don't have to eat organic unless we want to.

Shampoos and other toiletries- Many of us do use gluten free toiletries. Anything that gets on your hands etc can get into your mouth or contact other mucous membranes and keep the antibodies active. I use Garneir products as they label well, Dove and Suave will also clearly label gluten ingredients. Shikai is a nice organic company that will also clearly label gluten ingreidents and also Giovanni. There are others.

Facilities- If you are for example working in a bakery there is flour in the air and you are going to breathe it in. The same applies to baking with gluten flours in the home.

Oatmeal- There are celiacs that do not tolerate gluten free oats. If you are new to the diet it is a good idea to avoid them until you are well healed and then give them a try keeping in mind that it can take a couple days before a reaction occurs. Non certified gluten free oats are out for all.

Racer-J Newbie

Organic fruits/vegetables/etc...

Shampoos/soaps/conditioner/etc...

Facilities that use wheat and gluten

1) I eat organic but, that was a personal decision I made long before going gluten free.

2) I use the same product for soap & shampoo but, it's expensive as it's a short list of ingredients and organic. It will also create "soap scum" though if you have even semi-hard water since there are no detergents or other chemicals in it. The same goes for my deodorant when it comes to a short list of ingredients and being organic. I stopped using conditioner and use a mix of water and raw organic ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) and it really doesn't get any cheaper than that.

3) I would be leery of this. I have read that some people get sick from even walking into a bakery. I personally want to throw up from the smell of the bread isle at the grocery store if I wonder down it by mistake or if there is something on the the same isle I need to get. I don't think I could work in a bakery though just from the fact that I know I would be covered in flour.

4) I was eating Bob's Red Mill gluten free steel cut oats but, I had to rotate them out when I noticed they and any other grain or pseudo-grain was making me bloat 5-6 inches from eating just a half teaspoon of them. Foods affect everyone differently even without an issue related to gluten or wheat.

KuKuKaChoo52 Newbie

Awesome thank you both very much!

I have decided to buy organic if they have it, but might still have some non-organic since I find the section at the store I go to doesn't have all the stuff I like (not sure if I should do any if i'm not going all out on this)

As far as the cleaning stuff I use dove soap, colgate toothpaste, panteen pro v shampoo, i'm out of conditioner, degree deodarant, johnson & johnson floss and i need to get some lotion for my dry skin. I am using pretty much stuff that has been around the house or we got huge packs at costco... I am willing to buy whatever as long as it isn't incredibly expensive, but I do want to make sure none of it has gluten because I feel I could use improvement and this might help. Ravenwoodglass, you say they label gluten well, does that mean the actual word gluten would be on their products? Racer_J what is the product you use for both shampoo and soap? Also I like your idea of conditioner, is there a specific ratio between water and ACV ? I was also wondering about laundry detergent and if that could have gluten in it.

Okay I will never work in a bakery or anything like that, I was just curious because my friend said he could get me a summer job at panera bread... I think a job without food would be a good idea for me though. I haven't had personal experience but I don't go into any places like that anymore.

Dang, I love oatmeal... I eat it like everyday, but I guess I can find a new breakfast for a while.

Gemini Experienced

I have decided to buy organic if they have it, but might still have some non-organic since I find the section at the store I go to doesn't have all the stuff I like (not sure if I should do any if i'm not going all out on this)

As far as the cleaning stuff I use dove soap, colgate toothpaste, panteen pro v shampoo, i'm out of conditioner, degree deodarant, johnson & johnson floss and i need to get some lotion for my dry skin. I am using pretty much stuff that has been around the house or we got huge packs at costco... I am willing to buy whatever as long as it isn't incredibly expensive, but I do want to make sure none of it has gluten because I feel I could use improvement and this might help. Ravenwoodglass, you say they label gluten well, does that mean the actual word gluten would be on their products? Racer_J what is the product you use for both shampoo and soap? Also I like your idea of conditioner, is there a specific ratio between water and ACV ? I was also wondering about laundry detergent and if that could have gluten in it.

Okay I will never work in a bakery or anything like that, I was just curious because my friend said he could get me a summer job at panera bread... I think a job without food would be a good idea for me though. I haven't had personal experience but I don't go into any places like that anymore.

Dang, I love oatmeal... I eat it like everyday, but I guess I can find a new breakfast for a while.

If you are used to eating oatmeal that much or other high fiber foods, then you do not have to give it up during recovery, unless you have a reaction to it or notice other changes. I use Gifts of Nature certified gluten-free oats and they agree with me fine. I ate a lot of oatmeal before diagnosis so didn't have any problems with it after....using certified only, of course. My gut was completely trashed at time of diagnosis...no villi left yet I could tolerate small amounts of oatmeal without a problem. Everyone is different so if you love oatmeal, give some a try and see what happens.

KuKuKaChoo52 Newbie

That's nice you could have it right after. I actually took it out for a couple months right after diagnosis and then put it back in. I'm not sure if I am having a 'reaction' to the oatmeal or what, but I don't feel good or bad just in the middle. I might see if not having it makes a difference at all. I did that before, but at that time I was making mistakes just about everyday with facilities and just stupid stuff I didn't realize like soy sauce etc. So how much oatmeal do you eat, a full serving? I typically eat 2 servings each morning and then some egg beaters about half hour later to get some protein in me.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Ravenwoodglass, you say they label gluten well, does that mean the actual word gluten would be on their products?

No, on the Dove, Suave etc you will see the words wheat or oats, rye and barley are something I have never seen in toiletries. The most common things to look for in toiletries are wheat germ oil, wheat protein or oats.

There is another brand that I recently found that actually says gluten free on the bottles and is wonderful called Himalaya. When I run out of my shampoo and conditioner I will buy some more of it. I had tried it once before and loved the products but they were so very hard to get out of the bottle. At the health food store today I saw a label on the bottles stating they had redesigned them for easier use.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KuKuKaChoo52 Newbie

Oh gotcha! So it is still things that I should recognize from food labels anyway... I was wondering if any of those long chemical names were the problem. I like the sounds of the Himalaya, the gluten free on the bottle just sounds better to me. I like guarantees haha :)so it was like mayonnaise in a jar before and now they got the squirt kind? I'd be down to give it a try! I got a local health food store or I'll google it. Thanks!

I was looking at your signature and I also was diagnosed with IBS but the constipation kind and then I got tested and found out I am gluten intolerant and dairy. Do you think the IBS thing is a wrong diagnosis for me as well?

What do you guys drink if you want a alcoholic drink? I know beer and whiskey are out of the question. I have heard wine should be safe? And somebody was saying liquor is questionable, because some use gluten as fillers. I have noticed they don't have ingredients or any of that stuff on the bottles seems weird.

Tina V Newbie

Finding alcohol is not as tricky as you might think (as long as you are over 21).

Here is an article detailing what alcohol is safe for a gluten free diet, but always go easy any time you try something new just in case you have an unexpected reaction.

https://www.celiac.com/celiac-disease/gluten-free-alcoholic-beverages-r218/

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Oh gotcha! So it is still things that I should recognize from food labels anyway... I was wondering if any of those long chemical names were the problem. I like the sounds of the Himalaya, the gluten free on the bottle just sounds better to me. I like guarantees haha :)so it was like mayonnaise in a jar before and now they got the squirt kind? I'd be down to give it a try! I got a local health food store or I'll google it. Thanks!

I was looking at your signature and I also was diagnosed with IBS but the constipation kind and then I got tested and found out I am gluten intolerant and dairy. Do you think the IBS thing is a wrong diagnosis for me as well?

What do you guys drink if you want a alcoholic drink? I know beer and whiskey are out of the question. I have heard wine should be safe? And somebody was saying liquor is questionable, because some use gluten as fillers. I have noticed they don't have ingredients or any of that stuff on the bottles seems weird.

With the Himalaya products the problem was the thick and hard bottles that were almost impossible to squeeze with the thickness of the product. I felt like I need to put them on the shower floor and stomp on them. LOL

I was constipated for years, and years before I got the constant D that most think of with celiac. IBS is not really a diagnosis it just means your bowels are irritatied and the doctor doesn't know why.

As far as alcohol goes wine should be fine. Clear rum, tequila and gin are also fine. Some of us will react to distilled gluten grains but not all.

I also wish they would label ingredients on liquor bottles as I find it quite frustrating myself. I usually go with Redbridge Beer, Woodchuck Cider, Rum or wine on the rare occasions that I want a drink.

KuKuKaChoo52 Newbie

Lol, that sounds a little frustrating so hopefully the new redesigned bottle won't make you stomp it haha. Oh okay that makes sense, when I went to the naturopath and told her I was diagnosed with IBS she said "oh, so they don't know what is wrong with you" and I didn't know that is what IBS typically means... You know I think I tried that beer you are talking about and I had a bad reaction. I did drink a 6 pack and I hadn't had anything with carbonation in it for probably 6 months or so. I don't know if it was just a bad hangover and dehydration or that I didn't get along with it. And like you said it will be rare occasions that I do drink, but it is just a social thing really and I don't want to be taken out of that too now that I don't eat with people really... I haven't heard of Woodchuck cider, doesnt sound bad heh. Are all rums safe, or do cheap ones have fillers (what brand do you drink) and same question for wine. Are the weird ones filled with stuff like the really fruity ones and do you just drink like the general white wine or whatever?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Lol, that sounds a little frustrating so hopefully the new redesigned bottle won't make you stomp it haha. Oh okay that makes sense, when I went to the naturopath and told her I was diagnosed with IBS she said "oh, so they don't know what is wrong with you" and I didn't know that is what IBS typically means... You know I think I tried that beer you are talking about and I had a bad reaction. I did drink a 6 pack and I hadn't had anything with carbonation in it for probably 6 months or so. I don't know if it was just a bad hangover and dehydration or that I didn't get along with it. And like you said it will be rare occasions that I do drink, but it is just a social thing really and I don't want to be taken out of that too now that I don't eat with people really... I haven't heard of Woodchuck cider, doesnt sound bad heh. Are all rums safe, or do cheap ones have fillers (what brand do you drink) and same question for wine. Are the weird ones filled with stuff like the really fruity ones and do you just drink like the general white wine or whatever?

All clear unflavored rums would be safe. I drink Bacardi white. Any wine is going to be safe if it is just wine. Wine COOLERS, like Zima for example, in the US are not safe as they are a malt beverage. I like to mix a red or white wine with a bit of soda and make my own wine coolers. If you drank a whole six pack of Redbridge that was likely a hangover. Also if you system is compromised because you haven't healed yet any alcohol can be tough on your system. That said it is made with sorghum and some folks don't do well with sorghum but everyone is different and that isn't a gluten issue.

You can eat out with others. There are quite a few places that have gluten free menus. I like PF Changs and Outback they are my favorites. You might want to do a search with the name of your city and the words restaurant and gluten free. You might be surprised what comes up. I know I was quite surprised a couple weeks ago when my son came home for a visit and I did a search. There were six or seven places within a short drive and a couple in my home town even though the city isn't very big. Do ask for a gluten free menu when you sit down to order.

T.H. Community Regular

Re: the organic fruits/veggies - although not studied (to my knowledge) my GI has been noticing that a larger number of his celiac patients seem to react to preservatives, additives, pesticides, and genetically modified produce, so he's been recommending that all his celiac patients go organic.

But again, this is his experience, not studied.

Re: Facilities that use wheat and gluten and is it bad to be in a facility that does so?

Yes, and yes again. I read on-line that in Britain it is not legal for Celiacs to work in areas like bakeries where there is a lot of gluten in the air because of the potential danger, but on trying to find the source I haven't been able to, so it may be more an urban myth. But I and my daughter both have become ill from being in an area with a lot of gluten in the air, so I'd totally stay away from that.

Re: wine - there's a debate over how safe this is. Many wine companies use oak barrels to age the wine. Many of the oak barrels have wheat in the product that is used to seal the top of the barrels shut, so that's going to add to a potential cc risk, especially as the barrels are reused over and over.

shauna

KuKuKaChoo52 Newbie

Oh okay nice I will drink rum next time :) What kind of soda to you mix with wine to make a good wine cooler? I think my system is compromised still that is probably part of it and maybe sorghum doesn't like me either.

You know what, you are right... I googled what you said and their are quite a few local restaurants with gluten free menu's. And there is an outback about 20 minutes out of town(that you mentioned has gluten-free menu)

I have only had problems where they don't have gluten free menu's and I tell them about my allergy, so these places probably no how to handle allergies better.

Thank you!

KuKuKaChoo52 Newbie

Interesting Shauna, I think I will go with the organic then that sounds good to me. No need to react to pesticides and all that crud. Also, good confirmation on the facility part that sounds like more then a urban myth to me heh. Hmmm, the wine part is sad though... I wonder how I would go about finding which companies use gluten as a sealing agent or not, maybe the cheap bottles do that? Or I would have to call the company and find out probably just to be safe.

Thanks for the help!

psawyer Proficient

Re: wine - there's a debate over how safe this is. Many wine companies use oak barrels to age the wine. Many of the oak barrels have wheat in the product that is used to seal the top of the barrels shut, so that's going to add to a potential cc risk, especially as the barrels are reused over and over.

No credible authority has ever been cited here as saying there is a risk. The new barrels are thoroughly washed with water before any wine goes into them. The reuse of the barrels means the risk, if there indeed is any, would decline with each use. The barrels are refilled, not remade.

Racer-J Newbie

Racer_J what is the product you use for both shampoo and soap? Also I like your idea of conditioner, is there a specific ratio between water and ACV ? I was also wondering about laundry detergent and if that could have gluten in it.

The product I buy is from Bumble & Bee. I use their Open Original Shared Link which is $21.99 plus shipping. Prior to that I was using a product from Organic Excellence called Open Original Shared Link which is $15.95 plus shipping. I switched to Bubble & Bee because it has a shorter ingredient list and is certified organic. For me, that was worth the extra cost. However, I have hard water and despite the fact that there are no detergents in the Organic Excellence product, it worked better with my water. It's nothing that mixing baking soda into the Bubble & Bee product won't fix but, I'm not wild about using baking soda as it's created using amonia and some other nasty chemicals.

Yes,there is a specific mix of ACV to water that you should use. Open Original Shared Link will tell you everything you you need to know. Open Original Shared Link also has some advice on what ratio to use.

And no, in case anyone is wondering, I don't work for any of these companies lol. I gave the links so that people can look at the ingredient lists and do further research if they are interested in doing so.

I don't know about laundry detergents because I don't use detergents or chemicals. For laundry I use Soap Nuts I got at Whole Foods last fall. I don't recall the brand but I think they were around $20.00 or so for the bag. I still have plenty left. They may not last me until a year from the purchase date but I love them. They don't foam or suds since they are not a detergent. They are a naturally soapy berry and once your clothes are dry, they have no odor at all. They smell like fabric. These are just an incredible product in my eyes but a lot of people don't like them.

kareng Grand Master

No credible authority has ever been cited here as saying there is a risk. The new barrels are thoroughly washed with water before any wine goes into them. The reuse of the barrels means the risk, if there indeed is any, would decline with each use. The barrels are refilled, not remade.

Cheap American wine is not aged in wooden barrels. That is too expensive. Cheap wine is aged/ fermented in large metal containers.

Ladies in my area make wine cooler type drinks with a cheap box " pink" wine ( blush) and diet Sprite/ 7 up. It's sweet. You could probably use soda water with the sweet wine

If you have a winery near you, take a tour. It is informative and should put your mind at ease.

KuKuKaChoo52 Newbie

Thanks for the responses, each and every response has been helpful in so many ways. I appreciate it. I hope this topic is helping others as well :) The whole wine thing isn't a everyday concern as I only drink once every few weeks, but when I do i'd like it to taste better. I was more of a beer drinker then wine drinker. Thanks for the products listed as well, I will check them out and see what I can buy and try!

shadowicewolf Proficient

Are there any shampoos that are mainstream? I normally use tresseme but after reading the lable last night... i kinda got spooked? :unsure: I've had scalp problems for years, and maybe that is the source.

I think dove is gluten free, but i'm not sure (its the only product i can use on skin due to very sensative skin) :(

Is degtergent really important to be gluten free? I live oncampus at my college and... if you have lived in one you'd know the state of the washers :unsure: Luckly the dryers get so hot that you litterally burn yourself if you try to get something out of there right as it finished. I also only use All free and clear (again due to sensitive skin).

KuKuKaChoo52 Newbie

Ravenwoodglass posted "Shampoos and other toiletries- Many of us do use gluten free toiletries. Anything that gets on your hands etc can get into your mouth or contact other mucous membranes and keep the antibodies active. I use Garneir products as they label well, Dove and Suave will also clearly label gluten ingredients. Shikai is a nice organic company that will also clearly label gluten ingreidents and also Giovanni. There are others."

So maybe you could try garneir shampoo? I think i'm going to order some of the online stuff that is organic that Racer J posted above.

I have no idea of detergent is really important, but I just feel that the amount of time i'm wearing my clothes is way too much to have gluten in them lol. I'll probably buy soap nuts offline. Yeah I have lived in the dorms and those washers have had crazy stuff in there haha, so I don't know what you wanna do.

I'm getting all new stuff though haha

psawyer Proficient

Are there any shampoos that are mainstream?

Neutrogena.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Oh okay nice I will drink rum next time :) What kind of soda to you mix with wine to make a good wine cooler?

I just use sprite or I use Adirondack sparkling water. That has just water, carbonation and a bit of flavoring with no sugar or artificial sweetners.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have no idea of detergent is really important, but I just feel that the amount of time i'm wearing my clothes is way too much to have gluten in them lol. I'll probably buy soap nuts offline.

I just use either All Free and Clear or Arm and Hammer Free and Clear. With as much as I have to spend on a loaf of bread I don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg for detergent.

Gemini Experienced

That's nice you could have it right after. I actually took it out for a couple months right after diagnosis and then put it back in. I'm not sure if I am having a 'reaction' to the oatmeal or what, but I don't feel good or bad just in the middle. I might see if not having it makes a difference at all. I did that before, but at that time I was making mistakes just about everyday with facilities and just stupid stuff I didn't realize like soy sauce etc. So how much oatmeal do you eat, a full serving? I typically eat 2 servings each morning and then some egg beaters about half hour later to get some protein in me.

When I do eat oatmeal now, I eat a large serving...probably the equivalent of what you eat. I make a breakfast dish out of oatmeal and apples and raisins that is cooked in the oven. I LOVE the stuff and it's packed with nutrients. That's my favorite breakfast....oatmeal and a couple of eggs.

I have been gluten-free for 6 years now and have healed really well so as long as my food does not contain gluten or too much dairy, I am fine. I should add that when eating heavier meals, I take a digestive enzyme because I do have problems with digesting some foods completely. That usually involves meat or heavy proteins and fats. Veggies and fruits and lighter foods I have no problems with.

Archived