14 replies to this topic

#1 sherrylynn

sherrylynn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:34 AM

:( I have always had leg cramps, I have been gluten free for 7 days now and my leg cramps are even worse. They are really bad. I am not deficient in potassium and I have been taking magnesium. What else can I do? I am going today to see the Doc.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MissBonnie

MissBonnie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

you could be iron deficient which comes along with celiac. this causes muscle cramps and aches. ask for full blood work rather than just a blood test, but particularly get your iron checked.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

I sometimes get some pretty nasty foot cramps. I take a combo of calcium, magnesium and zinc which seems to help. I also use Tiger Balm or something similiar when the cramping strikes. If your doctor doesn't have any answers maybe ask for a referral to a podiatrist as sometimes foot issues like arch problems etc can contribute to cramps.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:22 AM

The only thing i have found that helps (i have had cramps in my legs before and after i started my diet) is adding calcium.

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

I had leg cramps (calves) for awhile. They stopped when I stopped eating white rice. Actually I don't eat rice at all now unless it is in a those Trader Joe's brown rice tortillas.

Hypo-thyroid can cause cramping also.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 sherrylynn

sherrylynn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

So, I went to see the Doctor. The first time I saw him he did blood work and apparently I was very deficient in magnesium. He wanted me to take 1000 MG of magnesium. Well I have never been good at taking pills. I forget to take them alot. It also gives me alot of diarrhea. So he was a little bit upset that I haven't been taking my vitamins.

So he test me again for every deficiency I could have with vit d, magnesium, iron, calcium, and a sed rate and a CBC. Also testing me for hypothyroidism. I will hear something in about 2 weeks. In the meantime he wants me to stick with the gluten free diet and absolutely not cheat or go off the diet. He was also mad at me for stopping the diet before. Oh well, at least he takes this all seriously. He also wants me to take quinine. for the leg cramps. I think it is no longer for sale in the united states. So I think I will just take the magnesium.

I will let y'all know what comes from all the tests.

#7 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

If you can't take vitamins, can you change what you eat (ie: veggies that have the vitamins that you need).

#8 sherrylynn

sherrylynn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

If you can't take vitamins, can you change what you eat (ie: veggies that have the vitamins that you need).

I don't know if I could eat enough veggies to make up for all the vit I am deficient in :P , But I am going to try and do both. Take my vit pills and eat veggies too. I have my nutrition book from school so I am going to look up what I need to eat to do the job.

Great looks like more studying for me. :rolleyes: sigh. Oh well, could be worse I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions. You guys all rock.

Sherry Lynn

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

I get leg cramps whenever I forget my magnesium. Just can't seem to build up a store of it.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 sherrylynn

sherrylynn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

I get leg cramps whenever I forget my magnesium. Just can't seem to build up a store of it.

How much do you take. My doc said that he tells everyday people with no deficiency in it to take 500 MG a day. Since I am so low on it I have to take 1000 MG a day. I do it in 250 MG at a time or else I will have the BIG D in a big way. he also said to eat something with it and it won't be so bad. WE'LL See. haha.

#11 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

How much do you take. My doc said that he tells everyday people with no deficiency in it to take 500 MG a day. Since I am so low on it I have to take 1000 MG a day. I do it in 250 MG at a time or else I will have the BIG D in a big way. he also said to eat something with it and it won't be so bad. WE'LL See. haha.

I take 1000 in two 500 doses. It is with a total mineral supplement from NOW - Full Spectrum Minerals. They don't bother me at all, but the magnesium by itself does.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 sherrylynn

sherrylynn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

I take 1000 in two 500 doses. It is with a total mineral supplement from NOW - Full Spectrum Minerals. They don't bother me at all, but the magnesium by itself does.

I may check into that so I won't have to try and remember to take my blasted pills. <_< Taking two pill instead of 4 sounds better.

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:02 AM

So, I went to see the Doctor. The first time I saw him he did blood work and apparently I was very deficient in magnesium. He wanted me to take 1000 MG of magnesium. Well I have never been good at taking pills. I forget to take them alot. It also gives me alot of diarrhea. So he was a little bit upset that I haven't been taking my vitamins.

So he test me again for every deficiency I could have with vit d, magnesium, iron, calcium, and a sed rate and a CBC. Also testing me for hypothyroidism. I will hear something in about 2 weeks. In the meantime he wants me to stick with the gluten free diet and absolutely not cheat or go off the diet. He was also mad at me for stopping the diet before. Oh well, at least he takes this all seriously. He also wants me to take quinine. for the leg cramps. I think it is no longer for sale in the united states. So I think I will just take the magnesium.

I will let y'all know what comes from all the tests.

I was also told to take quinine. Check with the doctor but I think mine told me it is present in tonic water.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#14 sherrylynn

sherrylynn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

I was also told to take quinine. Check with the doctor but I think mine told me it is present in tonic water.

It is in tonic water but Doctor Carttar told me that there is not very much in the water and I would have to drink a lot of it to help me. I looked online and found a pharmacy in Canada that sells Quinine. I have already ordered it and I have to send my prescription to them then they will send it to me. :)

#15 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

It is in tonic water but Doctor Carttar told me that there is not very much in the water and I would have to drink a lot of it to help me. I looked online and found a pharmacy in Canada that sells Quinine. I have already ordered it and I have to send my prescription to them then they will send it to me. :)

:) :) :)
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009