38 replies to this topic

#31 viviendoparajesus

viviendoparajesus

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

i can relate to your frustration. i have also been gluten-free for a year and i still have a lot of symptoms. other than milk sometimes not seeming to agree with me and not liking the taste - i was clueless that i was casein (milk protein) intolerant. i ate a lot of cheese and yogurt and some ice cream and never knew. i have heard that casein and gluten intolerance often occur together. you could also have cross reactivity (cyrex labs has a test). i cannot have yeast or buckwheat. i would be careful with gluten-free products if they contain some gluten or cross contamination especially since the gluten can add up if you are eating a lot of gluten-free products. i do not having clear symptoms when i have gluten or foods i am intolerant or allergic too. it does make some challenges. best wishes!
Misdiagnosed - IBS, TMJ, eczema, KP, etc
Real Diagnosis - Gluten & Casein (milk protein) Intolerance, Cross Reactivity to Yeast & Buckwheat
Recommend: Tests: Entero Labs Gluten Sensitivity & Gene Testing
Books: * Allergies by Dr. Carolee Bateson-Koch (digestion, yeast, parasites, body pH...)
* Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms by Dr. Datis Kharrazian (gluten & autoimmune problems)
* Change Your Brain Change Your Life by Dr. Daniel Amen (foods, supplements...)
Supplements: * digestive enzymes, * probiotics (dairy free - Klaire Labs - Pro5)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 RollingAlong

RollingAlong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:09 AM

Stop all the supplements for at least 2 weeks and then add them back in one at a time, very slowly. My spouse felt so much better after doing this.

#33 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

I'm not taking any supplements (besides Citrical Calcium Citrate which is definitely gluten free, I checked). I've had blood tests to check for allergies several times. Twice everything came out negative. The other time was through a alternative medicine clinic and it showed all kinds of allergies. But, and this is a big but, this clinic has a very bad reputation around here (unfortunately I didn't find that out until I went there and lost lots of money due to bogus tests) and the lab that processes the results has an "F" rating by many medical experts. I will be getting skin prick tests in a few weeks and hope that that will confirm that I am, indeed, not allergic to anything else.

BTW, since writing this, I believe that I've improved a bit. I have gained a little weight and am feeling less exhausted all the time. I've been extremely careful about this gluten-free diet and rarely going out to eat. I will most likely be checked again in Sept but I'm hoping that I'm on the right track here.

#34 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

PS. I found out recently that I had a herniated disk, hence all the horrible lower back pain and sciatica. I had to take nearly 2 weeks off of work and stay in bed for long periods of time. I finally got an epidural yesterday and I think that I'm FINALLY beginning to feel better after over a month of pain.

#35 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

PS. I found out recently that I had a herniated disk, hence all the horrible lower back pain and sciatica. I had to take nearly 2 weeks off of work and stay in bed for long periods of time. I finally got an epidural yesterday and I think that I'm FINALLY beginning to feel better after over a month of pain.

So glad you are finally starting to feel better. Herniated discs SUCK! Three of mine are herniated and so have been unable to work for 3 1/2 years, much of that time in bed, causing muscle wasting and so on. I still must lie down at least half the day, have had tons of painful cortisone injections, physical therapy, acupuncture, massage, chiro, laser... Thank goodness I love to read! :lol: There is still no way I could go back to a regular job - anything less than a few hours would be all I could handle (can only sit 15 minutes at a time which makes it tricky to eat out and drive). But I think it's my fibromyalgia that is making things worse - things just are not healing. I also have several anular tears in my discs plus degenerative disc disease. Having said all that, if only the first doctor who saw me would not have told me to do nothing and go on bed rest for six months - the worst advice he could have given. :angry:

In spite of living in constant pain I still would not trade my life for another. And I am thankful for my numerous blessings. :)

So, keep active as much as you possibly can. Push yourself even. I really wish I had at the beginning and prevented much of this horror. (But I have still learned a lot as a result so am pleased about that.)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#36 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

I'm not taking any supplements (besides Citrical Calcium Citrate which is definitely gluten free, I checked).

Unfortunately just because they are definitely gluten free will not mean that they are definitely gluten free enough for a super sensitive celiac. I had problems with gluten free supplements. I really should not have improved when I stopped taking them, but I did.

Any supplements I take now, I carefully checked with elimination/challenge diet studies. As suggested by RollingAlong.

#37 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

I am so sorry to hear of your health problems, love2travel. Mine are trivial compared to yours. Yes, I don't have a lot of faith in doctors these days. I try to get 2nd opinions. I can't imagine the amount of pain you must go through...I literally felt handicapped when I had this slipped disk. Best of luck to you and hope that you feel better very soon :)

#38 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

I am so sorry to hear of your health problems, love2travel. Mine are trivial compared to yours. Yes, I don't have a lot of faith in doctors these days. I try to get 2nd opinions. I can't imagine the amount of pain you must go through...I literally felt handicapped when I had this slipped disk. Best of luck to you and hope that you feel better very soon :)

Oh, Coolclimates. After I typed that blurb I felt bad because I did not want to start a pity fest for myself! I am moving on and above that now.

Are you beginning to heal and feel better? That kind of pain is probably one of the worst a person can have, especially initially when in the acute stage. So, I feel for you. Take care of you! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#39 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

yes, my back pain is much better. It hasn't completely gone but it is a helluva lot better than it was. I will be seeing a physical therapist in a couple of weeks. Right now I'm afraid to do much exercise as I fear that it could make my back worse. I love to swim and do yoga, but with yoga I have to really lay off until I can talk to a therapist. Thanks for asking. I've had an increase in restless legs and insomnia but it is most likely due to a medication I started taking lately. I might just have to stop taking it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: