23 replies to this topic

#16 LindaB

LindaB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:01 PM

I wrote earlier and have that awful hungry feeling and the pain in the area around the navel. I do take Protonix and it helps to curb the pain in that area. Just to be sure I need to take it, I have stopped a couple of times and then the uncomfortable feeling comes back so it seems with this disease we may just have too much acid in that area. I know I sleep better when I am taking the medication otherwise I wake up and have to eat or I cannot get back to sleep.

I am just hoping this goes away after awhile--for me it has been a year and three months and yet I know other Celiacs who have been on this diet for over four years and they do not seem to have this problem. I have never been a big eater so this is very trying to have to have food with me all of the time.

Also, I might add that on endoscopy it did not show that I had reflux or an ulcer but the doctor put me on the medication anyway to see if it would help.

Linda

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 bob

bob

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:27 PM

Like someone said earlier, I'm so glad to have found this site and discover that I'm not alone in experiencing adverse symptoms on a gluten free diet.
We don't have anything like this message board in England (that I know of), it's an excellent idea!
I not only get the nausea but everytime I eat even a small meal I get a really strong thumping heartbeat that lasts for about an hour. Anyone else get this?
Regards, Bob.

#18 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2004 - 01:05 PM

Yes my heart rate does increase immeadiately after eating. I have a heart condition called "POTS" which means my heart is healthy but it beats much too fast, and I figured my problems were due to that. I do notice it's worse after eating, though, so maybe it is connected to celiac disease. Does your stomach literally feel different now on this diet? I have never had so many stomach and abdominal problems in my life until I began this diet.

#19 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:09 PM

One of the food allergy tests that I have done is to take your pulse before eating, eat some of a single food, then 20 minutes later take your pulse again. If it is faster, you might have an allergy. celiac disease does have an increased incidence of food allergies.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#20 bob

bob

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:32 AM

No Giliian502, I can't say that my stomach has got worse since I started the gluten-free diet, but it hasn't improved either. I still get the same nausea, lethargy and thumping heartbeat after meals, about which I went to the doctor in the first place.

I have had 2 follow-up endoscopies which confirm I'm a Coeliac, although the consultant thought my gut should have recovered more than it has.
So I have no choice but to stay gluten-free, although I suspect if I came off the diet I wouldn't feel any the worse for it! I tried going dairy free but that didn't make any difference either.
We'll just have to live with it I suppose!
Bob

#21 S_EBarr

S_EBarr

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 06:56 AM

You were wondering about Predinisone? I have been on it for about 2 months. I have noticed that I have the moon face with a double chin now. and in the beginning I had an ENORMOUS appetite. But please do remember that I have been on it for a LONG time. And remember to have them taper you off the medication and not just take you off it all the sudden.

Beth
Gluten Free since Feb 2004!

#22 justmel74

justmel74

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:21 PM

I was diagnosed about a week ago. I am having a ton of burning in my chest and stomach area, as well as a pain under my ribs. Occasionally I have this nausea and painful gas. I have been very strict with my diet, buying gluten-free foods, reading labels, calling manufacturers when in doubt, and now watching for cross-contamination. The crazy thing is, these symptoms were what led me to go to the doctor in the first place (plus I was incredibly bloated). These symptoms came on very suddenly and with out warning. So, the dr. had the blood work done. I came up positive for only half of the antibodies (??) or something like that. Or it was explained to me, one test came out positive, the other was negative. whatever...I cant say I understand. Now I have to go to a gastroenterologist because the diet hasnt changed the symptoms (though, I would say, I have more energy than before). I'm at a loss, and feeling rather frightened. I just dont know how long I have to be on the diet before feeling relief, or is there something else wrong?

Melanie

#23 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2004 - 11:31 AM

Melanie,
I've asked myself that same question a hundred times: Is there something else wrong with me? I've been gluten-free for 7 months with few mistakes, and even did a 4 month stint being dairy free, and still no change. I've noticed the small improvements I've already mentioed, like the weight gain and more energy. But the symptoms I've gotten in return for being gluten-free are almost as bad as the ones I had before my diagnosis. It hardly seems worth it to follow this diet, but I'm hanging in there only because I wouldn't want to risk my life and develop lymphoma or something and then have only myself to blame. I'm having a colonoscopy soon which will tell me more. If you still feel bad after a couple months on the diet, you probably need to have more testing done, or at least see what your doctor suggests. I wouldn't worry about still not feeling great only a week or two into the diet, though. It's possible that you aren't totally gluten-free yet, this is new and you might have made a few mistakes, or your body's still adjusting.

#24 Tye-Kon

Tye-Kon

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 11:41 AM

Bob

I also have a pounding heart after eating, I thought I was going nuts! There are times during the day I get dizzy on the right side of my head and at that time I also experience headaches. I do feel somewhat better after eating when this happens. I know I sound like I'm complaining, but does anyone else get a nagging pulling pain under the right shoulder which goes up into the neck and head? There are times when I don't have the symtoms, then out of the air, my shoulder, neck, and head pain comes back. I know its from Celiacs, but I can't figure out why its happening. Any suggestions?? Thanks, Tye-Kon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: