15 replies to this topic

#1 josh052980

josh052980

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

So after getting glutened earlier this week, I was finally getting back to 100% last night, but had some spicy food. I took some Maalox before heading to bed, and was up in the middle of the night feeling like ass soup.. Turns out Maalox wasn't a good choice after doing some reading. I'm more ranting than anything here... I'm at almost 4 weeks into going gluten free, and I'm hitting that proverbial wall where it feels like there's nothing I can have anymore. It's pretty messed up when something that was intended to make me feel better, will make me feel worse for a few days...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:08 PM

Pepto Bismol is safe for us. I have seen posts on here about it. I take it.....no problems. Hope you feel better soon. :)
Gluten Free since 2010

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

I also go with name brand Pepto Bismal liquid, it works fast to stop the pain and for me usually in one dose.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 color_me_confused

color_me_confused

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:20 PM

I've been using Gaviscon during my weaning off of Prilosec and its associated acid rebound effects. It works really well except for the moments when the tablets are foaming in your mouth. blagh.

#5 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

I actually switched over as of today to Tums. I looked on the shelf at Walmart and every single pack I saw bears a "Gluten-Free" spot on the back of the packaging.

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

I actually switched over as of today to Tums. I looked on the shelf at Walmart and every single pack I saw bears a "Gluten-Free" spot on the back of the packaging.

Don't you love it when they have those 2 beautiful words on something?

What is in the Maalox?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 clsx2

clsx2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

I am 3 weeks in and would have never thought of checking the Maalox bottle. I did just check my generic brand of liquid antacid as soon as I saw your post and thank goodness it is gluten-free cuz I just bought a bunch!

#8 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:48 AM

I'm not for sure what the culprit is in the Maalox, but I'm assuming it's the dubious word "flavoring".

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:59 AM

I'm not for sure what the culprit is in the Maalox, but I'm assuming it's the dubious word "flavoring".

If there is nothing obvious in the Maalox, maybe it was what you ate? You took it because the spicy food was bothering you. Could be somthing other than gluten

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:20 AM

If there is nothing obvious in the Maalox, maybe it was what you ate? You took it because the spicy food was bothering you. Could be somthing other than gluten

I agree. The spicey food may just be too much for your system just yet. Best to stick with whole foods for a bit and the fewer ingredients to start the better. A chicken breast or steak with a side of mashed or baked fresh potatoes is going to be better than something with a lot of ingredients that is spicey.
When new to the diet home cooked whole foods are the best way to go.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#11 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:04 AM

I was glutened by Maalox too when I was new to eating gluten-free. I believe it has wheat in it.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#12 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:28 AM

It for sure has gluten in it. From other posts and sites I'm reading, it was for sure the Maalox. I'm beginning to feel better, but every time I get glutened, I start having energy issues, it just sucks me dry...

#13 blueshabooMoon

blueshabooMoon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

It for sure has gluten in it. From other posts and sites I'm reading, it was for sure the Maalox. I'm beginning to feel better, but every time I get glutened, I start having energy issues, it just sucks me dry...

omg I have been taking Maalox everyday, been gluten free for 3 weeks aprox, I don`t want to take Pepto people mention, constipated enough,ugh.Terri

#14 blueshabooMoon

blueshabooMoon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

So after getting glutened earlier this week, I was finally getting back to 100% last night, but had some spicy food. I took some Maalox before heading to bed, and was up in the middle of the night feeling like ass soup.. Turns out Maalox wasn't a good choice after doing some reading. I'm more ranting than anything here... I'm at almost 4 weeks into going gluten free, and I'm hitting that proverbial wall where it feels like there's nothing I can have anymore. It's pretty messed up when something that was intended to make me feel better, will make me feel worse for a few days...

Hi, searched lot sites concerning Maalox, on Living strong Gluten free Medications it shows Maalox as safe.Did you find out anything more about it.Been Gluten free 3-4 weeks and taking Maalox every day, hope safe and not what is making me still feel like crud.
Over-the-Counter Gastrointestinal Medications
The list of gluten-free over-the-counter gastrointestinal medications includes Effervescent Alka Seltzer Plus, Gas X, Extra Strength with Maalox, Imodium, Lactaid, Maalox, Mylanta, Pepcid, Pepto Bismal, Philips Original Milk of Mangesia, Prilosec and Tums (Ultra, Regular and EX).

#15 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:30 AM

Maalox is gluten free so it was something else that bothered you, most likely the spicy food. Anyone new to the gluten-free diet should avoid spicy food for awhile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: