23 replies to this topic

#1 bridgetm

bridgetm

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

We found some Magnum ice cream on sale today so we picked up a couple boxes, but I'm having trouble finding info on whether or not they are really gluten-free here in the U.S. The ingredients of the ice cream itself look fine, but the chocolate coating lists carageenan with wheat in parentheses after it. The other components of the ice cream bar also list carageenan but without the wheat after it. I don't know whether this is a typo or if they somehow derived the carageenan (doesn't it come from seaweed??) from wheat just for the coating.

I can only search for so long on dial-up without going crazy, so I am appealing to the tried-and-true method of asking the experienced majority here in the forum: Has anyone tried it yet? If it's not safe, that just leaves more for my mom, but I was really looking forward to ending my day with some good ice cream.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 butterfl8

butterfl8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

I've had the white chocolate bars without a problem, and they don't list wheat. I bought the chocolate/caramel bars before too for my husband and they didn't list wheat either. I'm super sensitive, and generally will have a problem from products that are produced on the same lines. I haven't had a problem from these, but if the box lists wheat, I wouldn't touch it. Maybe it is a different bar than the ones I'm thinking of?
I bought the Magnum Ice Cream bars, they are 3 to a box, advertised as being covered in belgian chocolate?
I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
--David Sedaris

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

You noted, "The other components of the ice cream bar also list carageenan but without the wheat after it."

Under US law (and Canadian as well), once an allergen has been mentioned in the ingredient list it does not have to be repeated. Ingredients after the one listed as having wheat could also contain wheat.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

If I see the words wheat in the ingredients personally I avoid the item.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

I've had the white chocolate bars without a problem, and they don't list wheat. I bought the chocolate/caramel bars before too for my husband and they didn't list wheat either. I'm super sensitive, and generally will have a problem from products that are produced on the same lines. I haven't had a problem from these, but if the box lists wheat, I wouldn't touch it. Maybe it is a different bar than the ones I'm thinking of?
I bought the Magnum Ice Cream bars, they are 3 to a box, advertised as being covered in belgian chocolate?

These sound like the same ones you bought: box of 3 with Belgian chocolate. I'll avoid them tonight and give Magnum a call in the morning. It didn't list any allergens so if I hadn't read the word wheat I would have gone ahead and eaten one. I haven't been able to find anything on their website aside from an ingredient list and nutritional info identical to those listed on the box.

Thank you both for your replies! I'll let you know what I am able to find out.

#6 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

I bought the double caramel chocolate bars last month. They did not list wheat as an ingredient and I did not get sick from them. I am super sensitive and react to small amounts of cross-contamination. I just went to the Magnum USA website and none of the six ice cream bars on the site contain wheat in the ingredients. Where did you buy yours?

#7 Derezzed

Derezzed

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:37 PM

Huh, I live in Canada and on the packages of the individuals it says "may contain/come in contact with wheat". So I've avoided all Magnum products... Now I want to go back and double check but I'm not sure if I'd eat them if it didn't say that. I'd email the company to be sure though.

#8 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:54 AM

Jwhale: I bought these at Walgreen's; they had a good deal on them this weekend. They only had the double caramel variety.

I compared the label on the box to the online listing:
Website- INGREDIENTS: ICE CREAM: MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, WHEY, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, LOCUST BEAN GUM, VANILLA BEAN SPECKS, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL FLAVOR, ANNATTO EXTRACT (COLOR), CARAMEL COLOR. BELGIAN MILK CHOCOLATE COATING: SUGAR, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, COCOA BUTTER, MILK, MILK FAT, PGPR (EMULSIFIER), SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), NATURAL FLAVOR. CARAMEL SAUCE: WATER, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, NONFAT MILK SOLIDS, COCONUT OIL, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, MONO & DIGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIER), CARRAGEENAN, SOYBEAN OIL, SODIUM CITRATE, POTASSIUM SORBATE (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY), NATURAL FLAVOR. CHOCOLATEY COATING: COCONUT OIL, SUGAR, COCOA, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), VANILLA EXTRACT.

Box- INGREDIENTS: ICE CREAM: MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, WHEY, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, LOCUST BEAN GUM, VANILLA BEAN SPECKS, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL FLAVOR, ANNATTO EXTRACT (COLOR), CARAMEL COLOR. BELGIAN MILK CHOCOLATE COATING: SUGAR, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, COCOA BUTTER, MILK, MILK FAT, PGPR (EMULSIFIER), SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), NATURAL FLAVOR. CARAMEL SAUCE: WATER, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, NONFAT MILK SOLIDS, COCONUT OIL, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, MONO & DIGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIER), CARRAGEENAN (wheat), SOYBEAN OIL, SODIUM CITRATE, POTASSIUM SORBATE (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY), NATURAL FLAVOR. CHOCOLATEY COATING: COCONUT OIL, SUGAR, COCOA, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), VANILLA EXTRACT.

Their helpline says that any allergens will be clearly labeled on the box. I'm having trouble getting to their contact info on the website and could only get a recording from the phoneline but I will probably avoid this variety just to play it safe. I might pick up the original (no caramel sauce) next time I'm out and give that a try.

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

It says Wheat. It doesn't have to have the allergen info, it just has to spell out the word "Wheat". That is clearly labelling an allergen.

Wouldn't touch them!

Don't bother the poor company help line. They have already clearly disclosed this info to you.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

That is really strange. The box I bought last month definitely did not list wheat in the ingredients. But, I agree that I would not risk eating the box that you bought, and I am not going to risk eating them again either. It is frustrating to have such inconsistent labeling!

#11 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

That is really strange. The box I bought last month definitely did not list wheat in the ingredients. But, I agree that I would not risk eating the box that you bought, and I am not going to risk eating them again either. It is frustrating to have such inconsistent labeling!

Maybe the ingredients recently changed. The box/packaging info may be more up-to-date than the website...thus we go back to Label Reading 101. :P
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#12 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

It says Wheat. It doesn't have to have the allergen info, it just has to spell out the word "Wheat". That is clearly labelling an allergen.

Wouldn't touch them!

Don't bother the poor company help line. They have already clearly disclosed this info to you.

Yes, it is clear and reading that would normally make me put them right back on the shelf and move on, but I had to question it since everything else I had read said they were safe.

#13 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:57 AM

I found a box of the original flavor ice cream bars yesterday (just vanilla ice cream with the Belgian chocolate coating) and the label looked safe. No reaction :D As long as Magnum doesn't change the ingredients of this one like they presumably did with the double caramel, it's going to be a good, ice cream filled summer B)

#14 plumbago

plumbago

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

I discovered this ice cream recently at Harris Teeter. I looked twice at the ingredients and decided it looked safe so I bought it (not cheap!). I've since bought two more boxes. I do see Carrageenan as an ingredient, but I don't see carrageenan (wheat).

Why do they put wheat in parenthesis? Does anyone know.

I guess I could call Magnum, Unilever, but it doesn't sound like others have had success trying to call.

It's good ice cream, I like it.

But I know there's a question about carrageenan, both from a gluten POV and a general health one.

Plumbago

#15 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

Why do they put wheat in parenthesis? Does anyone know.

Short question, but it needs a long answer.

The ingredient list is a legal document subject to strict rules. In an ingredient list, each ingredient is delimited by a comma. Between consecutive commas is the name of an ingredient, which may be more than one word. When it is more than one word, the entire phrase is key to the meaning.

Here are a couple of examples from US rules (in both cases, Canadian rules are the same):

The single word "starch" is corn starch. If other words appear in the ingredient name, then it may not be corn. "Potato starch" is an ingredient which is very different from "starch." "Modified food starch" might be corn, but is more likely to be tapioca. If it is wheat, the word wheat will appear somewhere on the label.

The single word "vinegar" is distilled white vinegar. In the US, it must be made from apple cider. "Malt vinegar" is a different ingredient (and is not gluten-free).

When an ingredient is comprised of other ingredients, or can come from multiple sources, the details *MAY* be provided in parentheses following the the main ingredient name within the same comma delimitation. "Dextrin (wheat)" means that the dextrin in this particular product is derived from wheat. This disclosure satisfies the requirements of FALCPA. If wheat is present, it must be disclosed, but an equally valid alternative is to state "Contains: Wheat" below the ingredient list.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: