This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did I Just Gluten Myself? Gas X Chewables

sreese68

sreese68 Enthusiast

I haven't used Gas X since I went gluten free because I'm wanting to keep track of my reactions. Decided I could use one tonight. glutenfreedrugs.com listed Gas X as safe. I ate a chewable one and then found that many people here say they have gluten! Do they still have it, or is this old info? Would it be in the starch? It's too late for me to call and find out.

I'm in the US if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!!

Sharon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I have not verified this for myself, but my understanding is that they do contain gluten. The green gel-caps do not - I use them frequently.

sreese68 Enthusiast

I just called them and got the "We do not put any gluten into our products, but we can't guarantee our suppliers haven't, and since we don't test for the presence of gluten, we don't recommend Gas X for those with celiac" answer. I asked if she had listed what the flavors or starch contain, and she said it was not listed. So who knows?!

Gas X chewables does have maltodextrin in it, and I saw someone say on another board (in 2004 or something) that the maltodextrin made Gas X not gluten free. Now it is considered a safe ingredient, so I wonder if that's how the not-gluten-free idea came around or if someone has actually reacted to it? Or heard from the company awhile ago about the ingredients?

I decided to go ahead and make this my gluten challenge morning to see if I really do react to gluten, so I'm going to eat something pretty soon. I already feel VERY tired this morning, but I was up late... (My blood work was negative, but my neurologist suspects gluten, so no diagnosis yet.)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I decided to go ahead and make this my gluten challenge morning to see if I really do react to gluten, so I'm going to eat something pretty soon. I already feel VERY tired this morning, but I was up late... (My blood work was negative, but my neurologist suspects gluten, so no diagnosis yet.)

If you are starting a gluten challenge this morning you won't be able to tell if you are reacting to the GasX or the gluten. In addition to do a gluten challenge you need to eat gluten at least 3 times a day for a week or until you react if you react sooner. It can take up to a week for a reaction to set in. How long have you been gluten free? It can take some time for neuro symptoms to resolve so if you haven't been gluten free very long it may be hard to tell if your reacting if you don't get gut symptoms. When I did my elimination and challenge I had severe gut symptoms that had resolved (I had been told by my doctor not to add anything back into my diet until I significant D relief from the elimination diet) so the challenge results after a month gluten free were pretty obvious but my neuro symptoms didn't get that bad because they hadn't really gone away yet. It was about 6 months before my nervous system healed enough to make it obvious that was a gluten related issue when I accidentally ate gluten.

sreese68 Enthusiast

If you are starting a gluten challenge this morning you won't be able to tell if you are reacting to the GasX or the gluten. In addition to do a gluten challenge you need to eat gluten at least 3 times a day for a week or until you react if you react sooner. It can take up to a week for a reaction to set in. How long have you been gluten free? It can take some time for neuro symptoms to resolve so if you haven't been gluten free very long it may be hard to tell if your reacting if you don't get gut symptoms. When I did my elimination and challenge I had severe gut symptoms that had resolved (I had been told by my doctor not to add anything back into my diet until I significant D relief from the elimination diet) so the challenge results after a month gluten free were pretty obvious but my neuro symptoms didn't get that bad because they hadn't really gone away yet. It was about 6 months before my nervous system healed enough to make it obvious that was a gluten related issue when I accidentally ate gluten.

I was going to wait a day or two to start my challenge but figured it made sense to go ahead and try! LOL! I took your advice and ate gluten twice yesterday (too late to do it 3 times when I read this) and once this morning. My stomach symptoms pre-elmination diet were gas, bloating, pain, and constipation (chronic pain in lower right abdomen due to back up). Since I have other food intolerances, I just don't know if gluten causes GI problems or it's something else. I have a feeling it might be gluten also as I noticed this morning my C may be coming back. I had just cleared it up the last 3 days after it getting BAD after I tested brown rice.

I also feel "off" this morning. However, my 4yo son had a nightmare last night and climbed into bed with me. He kept waking me up, so not sure if it's gluten or little boy that's causing this! LOL!

I decided to make a "roux" of olive oil and vital gluten flour and add it to foods I know don't give me a reaction. I've had gluten scrambled eggs and gluten baked potato so far! Will probably have gluten-coated chicken for lunch. It'll be interesting to see how I feel tomorrow. My reactions to other foods take 2 days like clockwork, so maybe this will be the same way?

Thanks for letting me know the neuro symptoms take so long to heel. My hands/arms tingle less, but my feet/legs aren't any better so far. And I have my 12yo daughter off gluten to see if it's making her migraines worse. One reason I'm testing gluten at 8 weeks gluten-free is to see how important it is for my 4 kids to try 100% gluten-free. So far my boys are eating it outside the home, but my daughter isn't.

Archived