This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constant Hunger After Some Hard Workouts

rain

rain Contributor

about once a month I'll exercise and end up feeling hungry non stop for a day or even a few days. Yesterday I think it happened because I took over an hour before I ate dinner. But I'm not sure. I'm wondering if this is because of the celiac. Or is it because I'm not eating the right food...? It doesn't make much sense to me because I don't think I exerted myself any more than usual. I ate about 200 calories 2 hours before exercising.

I've never thought to ask anyone about this and yet its a barrier to how much I exercise because I don't like this feeling...

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tictax707 Apprentice

ok so a few questions. Do you only exercise once a month? What kinds of exercise is it? How long do you go for? What do you consume during the exercise? It might be because you are not eating the right foods, but it also depends on what you are eating. How are your meals throughout the day...?

KuKuKaChoo52 Newbie

That is something I have noticed as well. The only difference is I workout quite often and it isn't after every workout, maybe just if I really push myself... But anyway I get home and can't stop eating. The only things that have helped are to consume a lot of water which gives you a sense of fullness, also take a multi vitamin to make sure you get proper nutrients and to eat lots of small snacks to make you feel like you are eating a ton, but really you have just spread it out to fulfill what you body wants.

rain Contributor

I work out a couple times a week, over the summer longer bike rides and hikes if I have the time. But it's the shorter, harder workouts that cause that feeling of relentless hunger. It's a weird feeling. I can't concentrate, can't eat enough, and feel a bit dizzy and emotional. But the weird thing is the feeling happens only once or twice a month. And my eating and exercise patterns really don't vary much. Like most folks between home and work I have a predictable routine at the gym. I always attributed this to fatigue but since being diagnosed with celiac I'm wondering if it's something else.

tictax707 Apprentice

So, I think three things: 1) I guess I would say that if you have a predictable routine that maybe you aren't eating enough after your harder workouts, especially if you wait to refuel. I've heard that you want to get in some calories within a certain time frame after you finish a workout to help improve recovery. If you are waiting to do so, that may be contributing to your "lasting" hunger. 2. another thing that comes to mind is hydration. You want to make sure you are well hydrated, during the workout if it is long, and for sure in the time after you are done, regardless of length. Sometimes being dehydrated causes us to feel hunger, when really a gatorade is what we need. Those are calories, after all. ;) 3. Lastly - I am not sure if this is relevant because I don't know if you are a man or a woman, but if you are a woman, the hunger may also be related to where you are in your cycle. Or, the hunger may be caused by a all three things. You also want to make sure that you have a good amount of carbs to fuel your workouts, but protien as well so that you will feel satiated.

I hope this helps some...!

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

Do the board a few other favors and we may be able to help you.

What are your stats (height, weight, age, gender)?

What does your typical day of food look like? (Be VERY specific including the portion sizes that you are eating.)

What time of the day are you working out?

How long are your workouts vs. cardio?

Fill in a few of those blanks and we can be of assistance.

• 1 month later...
hprinz Newbie

I just found out that I have Celiacs in December and so far I feel MUCH better with digestion and energy. I am 27 years old and for the last 4 years I have been extremely active. I'm 5'5 and was 185lbs and dropped to 138 over a course of 2 years. However, ever since I was married about 1 1/2 years ago I have gained back those horrible 7-10lbs. I just can't seem to get rid of them. I work out about 4-5 times a week swtiching up cardio every day from spinning to kickboxing to jogging/elipltical training. I try to do 1 hour of cardio mixed with about 20 minutes of weights/strength training. Doing all of this exercise is leaving me hungry ALL the time. I'm not kidding- Hungry ALL the Time! I drink at least 2-3 liters of water a day and try to eat healthy- veggies mixed with lean protein etc and lots of fresh fruit... but then I get those horrible cereal or pretzel cravings. I love noshing on those gluten-free substitutes. I know it's not the best choice but it's quick and easy. Here is a typical day of meals:

Breakfast: Non Fat Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and gluten-free granola

Mid Morning Snack: Banana

Lunch: Leftovers from last nights dinner (stir fry with brown rice, chicken with gluten-free pasta and broccoli)

Snack: Grapes

Snack: cereal or smartpop popcorn

Dinner: some type of protein, carb, and salad

Any ideas? I've tried protein bars like think thin which are gluten free and protein powder to make smoothies but sometimes even though they are gluten-free they can upset my stomach. Any ideas for filling, healthy, and gluten-free foods to eat? When in the day should I eat them? I'm a teacher so during the school year I am working out at 5am but in the summer I have a bit more flexibility. Any suggestions or support would be great. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
rain Contributor

Hi, I'm just seeing your post so maybe you've gotten answers already? But I really wanted to reply because the constant hunger has eased up! And I really think, like so many others on this forum have reminded me, that it was just a matter of time. Finally I'm really seeing my body shift to having a healthy appetite. I had the constant hunger thing before I got diagnosed with celiac so it makes sense for me that I'd need my gut to heal in order for that to settle down.

Aside from that I've found 2 things have helped a lot.

- giant veggie/spinach, greens filled smoothies within 30 - 40 min after exercising, from fresh veggies not a mix.

or

- eat a real meal after exercising within an hour.

I got this info from other exercise websites, but I really think its my gut healing that has made them work.

good luck!

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

Are you drinking a protein shake? (Presuming that you find one that fits your dietary needs and takes any allergies into consideration).

One, quick shake and I'm not hungry for at least 90 minutes. And, I eat all day long!

• 4 weeks later...
viviendoparajesus Apprentice

i can relate. only a regular workout makes me so hungry. sometimes even when i do not work out i am so hungry. it is not tied to my menstrual cycle i had that before and this is different and has lasted for weeks if not months. i drink a lot of water so that does not seem to be it. it does not seem to matter what i eat or when it does not seem to help. i eat less than 15 minutes after i work out. even though i have been gluten-free for a year and i had been healing and had symptom reduction i seemed to take a turn for the worse. if i still need to heal my gut how do i do it? i have tried supplements and an anti-inflammatory diet but they only made me worse. and going back to my diet before that has not worked. best wishes.

Archived