12 replies to this topic

#1 Suezboss

Suezboss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:38 PM

I was trying so hard the past few days to be gluten free... and Wed and Thursday, I had NO symptoms..

Today, I ate at Ruby Tuesdays, and had a hamburger (NO bun) with Cheese, pickles, onion, lettuce, and Heinz katsup, and French Fries... is someing in that givmign me stomach aches?

and, once I have the stomach aches, is there ANYTING that can help ease them?? I seem to have them for HOURS, even ALL NIGHT, until the next mornings, most times... :angry:

Anyone know of a remedy???

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 skbird

skbird

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:53 PM

I am always trying to find a similar thing myself. I get the burning stomach, but it lasts longer than just a day and night. And it will go when I eat really carefully but if I get overconfident and have something like chocolate then my stomach goes off again. Not that there's anything gluten about the chocolate, just the actual chocolate itself, which is normally not a problem causes me trouble.

I try to eat carefylly by eating well cooked veggies and fruit, rice or rice bread, and fish like salmon when I'm trying to get over getting contaminated. I have recently tried out drugs like Pepcid and Tagament but I am not sure I find they do much.

I do take a supplement called DGL Licorice and drink licorice or marshmallow teas, they seem to help my stomach, by coating it before I eat. So those are thoughts. No good hard and fast way to get over it, though, unfortunately...

STephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#3 Pegster

Pegster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:53 PM

Be sure you check to see if a fryer is used to fry anything other than fries. Most places stick chicken strips (breaded) or onion rings (breaded) into the same fryers as the fries. As for a remedy, try immodium, or Tums, or Pepto B. Read the ingredients on Tums, though. I think some flavors have starch. How about good old 7up? Or peppermint tea (Celestial seasonings is gluten-free- It says right on the bottom of the box. Good luck.
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

#4 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

Whenever you oder fries, you have to ask if the fryer is a "dedicated fryer". They'll probably look at you like you have three heads. Nevermind. Ask them if they cook any breaded products AT ALL...ANY>> in the fryer. This will "contaminate" your fries. Most places DO fry their breaded chicken, breaded onions, etc in the french fry oil. That could be the problem.
I believe in God.

#5 Suezboss

Suezboss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 08:57 PM

Be sure you check to see if a fryer is used to fry anything other than fries.  Most places stick chicken strips (breaded) or onion rings (breaded) into the same fryers as the fries.  As for a remedy, try immodium, or Tums, or Pepto B.  Read the ingredients on Tums, though.  I think some flavors have starch.  How about good old 7up? Or peppermint tea (Celestial seasonings is gluten-free- It says right on the bottom of the box.  Good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.

I have the Tums with flavors, and they have "Corn Starch" in them.. Is that OK?

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:55 AM

DO NOT take Tums. They are not gluten free. They told me that they can't guarantee them to be gluten free but others were told that they actually have gluten in them.
Corn Starch is fine and would not be a problem but other ingreidents may pose a threat.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#7 Suezboss

Suezboss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:12 AM

DO NOT take Tums. They are not gluten free. They told me that they can't guarantee them to be gluten free but others were told that they actually have gluten in them.
Corn Starch is fine and would not be a problem but other ingreidents may pose a threat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow :o Thanks!

I really only had them in the house b/c my stomach hurt I was trying EVERYTING... I mean EVERYTING, and NOTHING worked... so now it seems that the Tums did more DAMAGE than help! :o

#8 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:07 AM

Pepto Bismol is gluten free and really works for me so that may be something to try
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#9 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:58 AM

suezboss-
where and what is your pain like exactly? i went through weeks of abdominal pain AFTER going gluten-free...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#10 dmcf

dmcf

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:16 AM

I was trying so hard the past few days to be gluten free... and Wed and Thursday, I had NO symptoms..

Today, I ate at Ruby Tuesdays, and had a hamburger (NO bun) with Cheese, pickles, onion, lettuce, and Heinz katsup, and French Fries... is someing in that givmign me stomach aches?

and, once I have the stomach aches, is there ANYTING that can help ease them?? I seem to have them for HOURS, even ALL NIGHT, until the next mornings, most times... :angry:

Anyone know of a remedy???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

The French Fries have to be cooked in a separate frying basket from other fried foods (onion rings, chicken wings, etc.)

#11 bluonblack1

bluonblack1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:06 AM

http://www.tahoma-cl...com/aging.shtml

http://www.tahoma-cl...om/aging2.shtml

Before taking anymore tums or pepsid, PLEASE read these articles.. :D
Be Well!

#12 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:30 AM

DEFINITELY AVOID TUMS. I am still recovering from being glutened by them last Tuesday (7 days ago.) How lame is it the med you take for you stomach actually makes it worse!

I'll bet the fryer was to blame. I don't eat fries so I didn't even think of that. I hope you're feeling better.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#13 printmaker81

printmaker81

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:56 AM

Like everyone else, I bet it was the fries. I just wanted to add that when you order anything grilled, make sure to ask if the buns are grilled in the same place on the grill as the meat. This could be a source of contamination, too.

For my upset stomachs, I have found these Peppermint gels with fennel and ginger that are really soothing and there is a lavendar and chamomile tea that works really well. You ought to be able to find both tthese things at a health food store and maybe even the health food section of your local grocery store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: