11 replies to this topic

#1 glutenfreeinminnesota

glutenfreeinminnesota

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:08 PM

I have known of my Celiacs since November 2009...and I swear the glutenings feel worse every time it happens (luckily they are few and far between). When I get glutened I am up for trying anything! Today I got CC'ed and it was one of those bad, bad days :( So I was researching like crazy other ways to help this pain. I have tried ginger tea, but didn't really notice anything different and the taste to me is not good at all....?

So, I see there's an Enzyme? I know nothing about these, I don't know what it's called, or if there are different kinds? Advice anyone?

Then I found that marijuana can help? So I researched medical marijuana, and celiac disease is apparently covered along with many other digestive diseases and syndromes...but not in Minnesota. So that won't be an option for me for now, but has anyone tried this? Does this really work?

Any other ideas?? I can't believe I lived with this crap (literally haha) and pain for years, unknowingly poisoning my poor intestines....any advice is great! Thanks!!
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease November 2009
2011:
Anemia is gone for the first time in my life, Yay!
Teeth are cleaner according to my dentist (interesting, eh???)
Eyesight has improved for the first time in my life (another interesting thing!)

**My advice to the newly diagnosed** HANG IN THERE!! It gets better and is so worth the seemly long road to getting better. Just be happy you can make yourself healthy with a diet change, and not have to take pills for the rest of your life. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

I think we all cope with it different, as the symptoms tend to vary from person to person. It kinda becomes a game of trying things that seem like they might work, and finding what works best for you.

When I get glutened, I feel like I have the flu for a good portion of a day, and then feel either achy all over my body, or lightheaded, or both. I lose my appetite, and be really irritable for a day as well. Digestive-wise, I'll have nausea, lower abdominal cramps, and get really bloated feeling.

There are a few things that seem to help me, being Junior Mints and Vernor's. Don't ask me why, but they just seem to work for me.

#3 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

I have recently discovered something called K2 incense, you find it at a head shop, where they sell bongs and other things like that. You smoke it like the other, it is just herbs not the real stuff. I almost forgot, it does have something called synthetic cannabis. It dosen't show up in a blood test, but it is illegal in some states. You need to check to see if it's allowed in yours because it does cause impairment. It gets rid of my fibro pain and my glutening pains but don't plan on going anywhere or doing anything. I like it because it dosen't cause the munchies and I can still walk a straight line, lol, it just makes me numb all over. Just a suggestion, it's up to you. Good luck

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#4 glutenfreeinminnesota

glutenfreeinminnesota

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for your suggestions!! I will have to try the Junior Mints thing as they are delicious!! I have never heard of K2, but I will look into that as well. Hopefully I can find something!! I have a very bloated tummy tonight :(
2011:
Eyesight has improved for the first time in my life (another interesting thing!)

**My advice to the newly diagnosed** HANG IN THERE!! It gets better and is so worth the seemly long road to getting better. Just be happy you can make yourself healthy with a diet change, and not have to take pills for the rest of your life. :D

#5 rgarton

rgarton

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:11 AM

I found rubbing rose oil into my stomach, massaging clockwise helped alot and sipping black sweetened tea stopped all nausea and doesnt taste as bad as ginger tea! I do not like ginger tea at all. And just relaxing! Just lie down on the sofa and chill out reading or watching something, staying warm as well! I find if im cold i feel so much worse, being anemic i do often feel cold! Hope this helps!
Lifes not waiting for the storm to pass, its learning to dance in the rain...

#6 glutenfreeinminnesota

glutenfreeinminnesota

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:41 PM

I found rubbing rose oil into my stomach, massaging clockwise helped alot and sipping black sweetened tea stopped all nausea and doesnt taste as bad as ginger tea! I do not like ginger tea at all. And just relaxing! Just lie down on the sofa and chill out reading or watching something, staying warm as well! I find if im cold i feel so much worse, being anemic i do often feel cold! Hope this helps!

Thank you!! I will try the black sweetened tea.
2011:

#7 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:24 AM

Depends on the symptoms... I get terrible migraines w/nausea and appetite loss and irritability/emotional craziness (go figure). If I lived in a med marijuana state, I would definitely go that route - but I don't, so a dark room and a cool compress are the best I can do. And I don't think MJ would help w/diarrhea, gas, bloating - might work on stomach pain, though.

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

OMG don't mess with that K2 stuff! :o It has cannabis-like designer drugs in it. The drugs have never been tested, nobody knows if they are safe. As soon as the government makes one illegal they invent another. You are a guinea pig for completely untested drugs. If you find pot helpful for fibro, see about getting the natural stuff for medical use.
http://en.wikipedia....thetic_cannabis

I get mostly GI symptoms from gluten so I use Pepto Bismol and Immodium.

#9 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:49 AM

i stop eating b/c i have no appetite. also soooo tired. hot tea with sugar and lactaid.... hopefully a nap then i will feel progressively better but my digestion will be messed up for 4-5 days no matter what i eat. also feels like i am hit by a truck. i like the junior mints idea :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

It depends on the symptoms. MJ has helped me with the pain, nausea and general sick feeling. But I also have discovered that I now get dizzy with glutening. And I have taken dramamine to combat that, it helps and even with the nausea. I think many of us have had to try different things to see what works. You may have to try until something works for you. I hope you feel better. :)

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#11 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:06 AM

oh, yeah, and have been self mj'd for years even before my dx, so i believe there is truth to it's medicinal qualities. it does help, even if it's an attitude adjuster. i get really irritable when i have been zapped, so it keeps other people from killing me. eventually, when i feel better it helps with the appetite. i agree with skylark - don't mess with that synthetic sh*t. get the kind God makes. if you can't find it, ask a senior citizen ;)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 glutenfreeinminnesota

glutenfreeinminnesota

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

Thanks all for your replies!!! I won't try synthetic stuff....I am not much into ANY drugs, but was wondering about MJ....maybe someday they will legalize it ;) For now I will stick to my tea, pain relievers and immodium! And maybe some MJ someday....
2011:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: