18 replies to this topic

#1 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

So, we thought we'd try this stuff suggested in Jules Shepard's book called Expandex (which is tapioca starch). She suggests using it to make bread more "gluteny" and it did seem to work. The loaf rose well--quite high actually-- and the bread was "squishy" and tasted good.

But, half a sammy in.... and I started to have heart palps and feeling sort of anxious and spacey head---like when I eat gluten!!! I call them the "gluten-willies".. :blink: It lasted all afternoon (bummer)

Now, I know it wasn't gluten, but it was a lot of tapioca starch in the recipe.

Does anyone else have this reaction to tapioca starch? I didn't seem to notice it when we used it in our bread before this, however, this recipe using the Expandex requires quite a bit of it --so maybe it was the dose??

just wondering ...

whoops, I misspelled tapioca...I think I have some left over yuckies going on!! LOL

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

So, we thought we'd try this stuff suggested in Jules Shepard's book called Expandex (which is tapioca starch). She suggests using it to make bread more "gluteny" and it did seem to work. The loaf rose well--quite high actually-- and the bread was "squishy" and tasted good.

But, half a sammy in.... and I started to have heart palps and feeling sort of anxious and spacey head---like when I eat gluten!!! It lasted all afternoon (bummer)

Now, I know it wasn't gluten, but it was a lot of tapioca starch in the recipe.

Does anyone else have this reaction to tapioca starch? I didn't seem to notice it when we used it in our bread before this, however, this recipe using the Expandex requires quite a bit of it --so maybe it was the dose??

just wondering ...

I've never used Expandex but I'm having a difficult time using Jules all-pupose flour blend that includes it. Not that I feel ill but just that I can't seem to get the recipe to turn out. Do you use her flour?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

No, we use Bob's Red Mill flours or flour from NUtsOnLine. We did use an "all-purpose" flour mix from Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise G. Roberts for a while. It was okay!

Now, it's more like a mish-mash of several people's ideas and suggestions. Not one "all-purpose flour".

He worked on that basic bread recipe for 5 months :lol: (mostly, they just plain collapsed) and when a baker (at a local gluten-free bakery) gave him advice about how long to leave the loaf in and at what temp, he finally got it to stand tall! :D

I will post it separately.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:47 PM

No, we use Bob's Red Mill flours or flour from NUtsOnLine. We did use an "all-purpose" flour mix from Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise G. Roberts for a while. It was okay!

Now, it's more like a mish-mash of several people's ideas and suggestions. Not one "all-purpose flour".

He worked on that basic bread recipe for 5 months :lol: (mostly, they just plain collapsed) and when a baker (at a local gluten-free bakery) gave him advice about how long to leave the loaf in and at what temp, he finally got it to stand tall! :D

I will post it separately.

I couldn't resist an introductory offer when I signed up for emails on Jules blog...sucker that I am. :lol: Always searching. I have Annalise Roberts' book and have had success with it. I especially like the multi-grain bread recipe and have made it several times.

Today when I baked a loaf of bread from Jules' cookbook, the sides sorta collapsed, which is the problem I've had with it. I left it in longer and used an instant read thermometer, which indicated it was baked to 210° Just how much longer do you normally bake your breads? I think next time (maybe tomorrow) I'll add 1/4 cup flaxseed meal to give it more stability. Either that or reduce the liquid.
Sylvia

#5 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

No, we use Bob's Red Mill flours \

Are you sensitive to oats?
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

Are you sensitive to oats?

No. that's a good thought though! I eat gluten-free oats and suffer no reactions.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

I couldn't resist an introductory offer when I signed up for emails on Jules blog...sucker that I am. :lol: Always searching. I have Annalise Roberts' book and have had success with it. I especially like the multi-grain bread recipe and have made it several times.

Today when I baked a loaf of bread from Jules' cookbook, the sides sorta collapsed, which is the problem I've had with it. I left it in longer and used an instant read thermometer, which indicated it was baked to 210° Just how much longer do you normally bake your breads? I think next time (maybe tomorrow) I'll add 1/4 cup flaxseed meal to give it more stability. Either that or reduce the liquid.

I just posted the bread recipe on the other thread we are conversing on. Hope you like it... :unsure:
We had all the same issues until we raised the oven temperature 50 degrees (a gluten-free baker gave us this advice) and we tried reduced liquid, longer cook-time. etc to no avail...the secret was raising the temp in the oven.... ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#8 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

I just posted the bread recipe on the other thread we are conversing on. Hope you like it... :unsure:
We had all the same issues until we raised the oven temperature 50 degrees (a gluten-free baker gave us this advice) and we tried reduced liquid, longer cook-time. etc to no avail...the secret was raising the temp in the oven.... ;)

Got it! Thanks! Good to know the "secret" and I hope it works for me, too. :)
Sylvia

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

Got it! Thanks! Good to know the "secret" and I hope it works for me, too. :)

hope it works for you. At first, I thought...that sucker's gonna burn :P ....but it did not. Outside was dark, but tasted good.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

hope it works for you. At first, I thought...that sucker's gonna burn :P ....but it did not. Outside was dark, but tasted good.

Do you tent it after it's been baking for awhile?
Sylvia

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

I bought some Expandex but don't know what to do with it. How do you use it?

#12 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:42 AM

Expandex is tapioca starch/flour so you would use it in a flour mix as you would use (regular) tapioca starch. I'm not sure how it's different except that it's modified tapioca starch. Clear as mud, huh. I've never seen Expandex around here but you could pull up their website. http://expandexglute...ct-information/ I know it's in Jules Shepard all-purpose flour.
Sylvia

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:06 AM

Do you tent it after it's been baking for awhile?

I don't think he does....he's at the gym right now :) ....I'll get back to you on that!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:10 AM

This was an experiment on our part...the bag of Expandex came with recipe cards and we followed the one for French Bread. That sucker rose so high, it overflowed and made a mess of the oven :blink:
I suggest you put something under the bread pan!

It's really just tapioca starch...and you use quite a lot of it in the recipe.
So, it DOES the job, but be careful. The bread was really moist, "stretchy" and tasted pretty good. But as I said, I had a reaction and I am not sure why... :unsure:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

What other thread? Couldn't find it. :(
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: