Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Advil - Safe Or Not?

9 posts in this topic

Some sources say it's not a guarantee, while others say it's gluten-free. It's not listed in my "Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guide 2011/2012 Edition," but it's listed as safe in the glutenfreedrugs.com list. So, which is it???

I see that it lists gelatinized starch as an ingredient.

Ads by Google:

Some sources say it's not a guarantee, while others say it's gluten-free. It's not listed in my "Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guide 2011/2012 Edition," but it's listed as safe in the glutenfreedrugs.com list. So, which is it???

I see that it lists gelatinized starch as an ingredient.

i called the company maybe 6 months ago to confirm because of that starch thing- and she read off the ingredients to me- and she said that that starch was "Corn Gluten". so i assume that it is corn- and that it is safe- unless you are corn sensitive. i have a little difficulty with corn- similar to gluten- but it seems to be more mild- and more of a cumulative thing.

if u really dont feel safe- CVS now has a new bottle out- i believe it is Ibuprofen and it is actually labeled "Gluten free" and "Dye Free" :)

I have been taking Advil since I was diagnosed in 2006 and I have not had one single problem. I take it fairly often. Just letting u know.

Thank you both!!! That is exactly the information I needed! I'll use up what I have, but will buy CVS brand in the future (hopefully, cheaper too!).

Very few companies that manufacture drugs will guarantee anything. If they tell you they don't add gluten, then it's gluten-free. Advil is indeed gluten-free.

richard

Advil liquigels are not gluten free and I mistakenly took 2 yesterday that made me quite sick. You didn't specify what sort you are taking.

I don't know about Advil (apparently some of their ibuprofen has gluten and some not!), but I went a few months ago to have an MRI at John Hopkins Hospital, and went into the pharmacy to buy some ibuprofen. The pharmacist called a few companies to check if their ibuprofen contained gluten, and Gericare assured her that theirs was gluten-free. You can buy it online, and its very inexpensive. I have been taking it for a few months. It is very effective for pain, and I have had no gluten reactions! I highly recommended it!

Good luck,

Malu

This post started in 2011. Advil Liquidgels weren't on the market for sale at that time. I have heard the blue liquidgels have gluten in them. I had a sample and didn't keep the label to evaluate all the ingredients. I felt pretty sick after taking them!

Always read labels! Old information can soo wrong.

I realize this post is old but I contacted Advil yesterday about their products and they are ALL gluten free in Canada. :) I did check the US Advil website (U.S.) as well and Advil is gluten free except for liqui-gels and Advil migraine. However, I did not contact them directly.