This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Self-Linking Etiquette/rules On The Forum

U Gluten Free

U Gluten Free Rookie

I understand that celiac.com doesn't want people promoting their own home pages.

What about a link to a specific, lengthy science post on my site? I really don't want to paste a lot of material into a post here, but I think the information would be of value to the members.

Peter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mushroom Proficient

Peter, the place to put information about your website is in your profile - that is where the link belongs. You may refer to your link in a post and tell people to check our your website or something specific on it in a post, by referring them to your profile, but not put the specific link itself in the post. Links to other sites (than your own) are permitted in posts..

• 2 weeks later...
Skylark Collaborator

I was wondering about an on-site blog? I thought it would be fun to collect things right here on celiac.com. I don't know that other board members know how to get to blogs from people's profiles.

psawyer Proficient

My interpretation of the rule would be that linking to your blog here at celiac.com is not a violation.

Linking to another site with your content is against the rule. The reasons are complicated--if you really want to know, send me a personal message and I'll reply.

Skylark Collaborator

No worries. I think disallowing personal offsite links is a good policy. There are too many who would take advantage of free publicity.

I just answered someone with my favorite recipe blog links and thought how nice it would be if I could store the list somewhere instead of hunting down my post because the question is bound to come up again. The onsite blog will work perfectly.

domesticactivist Collaborator

I was wanting to repost some of my blogs from my personal site here on the celiac.com blog feature but I can't figure out how to make it work. I can click on blog and post a comment but not write a blog. How does it work?

kareng Grand Master

I was wanting to repost some of my blogs from my personal site here on the celiac.com blog feature but I can't figure out how to make it work. I can click on blog and post a comment but not write a blog. How does it work?

I'm not certain but when I looked at "blogs" I saw a button on the right, above the other blogs that said "Create a new blog" (or something like that). I clicked it and it gave me the rules to agree to. Did you do that? I didn't want a blog so I didn't go any further.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Click your name in the upper-right corner to get to "manage blogs" on the dropdown. There is a create blog button on that page. Once you have created it, there is an "add entry" button on the regular blogs tab from the main page. You also get a "blog this" button that shows up on all the posts from the board, which is nice for saving a post you think might help someone else.

Thanks. I don't have "manage blogs" in my drop down or a "create new blog" link available. Maybe I'm too new?

Is it ok to post links to new blogs in status updates? I'm often sharing gluten-free recipes and would prefer not to redo them all in order to share here, and the services I offer on another part of the site are locally based.

psawyer Proficient

When you click on the pull-down triangle to the right of your name, you should get this menu:

My Profile

My Settings

My Content

My Liked Content

Messenger (? New)

Manage Friends

Manage Ignored Users

Manage Blogs

You are not "too new," there is no eligibility requirement.

psawyer Proficient

Posting status updates which refer to your blog would, in my interpretation of the rules, be acceptable.

mushroom Proficient

While on the subject of blogs, I have been noticing the "Blog this" button and wondering about it. Now that Skylark has mentioned it, it has disappeared from down the lefthand corner next to"Report" :wacko:

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Posting status updates which refer to your blog would, in my interpretation of the rules, be acceptable.

Hi Peter,

I would qualify the above with ONLY if they are hosted on Celiac.com

Referring just to 'Your Blog' leaves it open to to interpretation, leaving the impression that, Blogger or Wordpress etc links are acceptable - Which they are not!

I found that out the hard way.

David

psawyer Proficient

David,

We are talking about "status updates" made in your profile page, not posts to the board. Status updates are seen only by members who view the person's profile, either by going to their profile page, or clicking on the timy "View Profile" icon to the right of the member's name.

The proper place to post your Web site, business or other services is in your profile, not in your signature block or in posts.

Nope. I've got all the other links, but not "Manage Blog"

Jestgar Rising Star

I don't have 'Manage Blog' either. Maybe because I don't have a blog?

mushroom Proficient

I don't have a "Manage Blog" button either, so don't feel alone. :P

psawyer Proficient

I don't have 'Manage Blog' either. Maybe because I don't have a blog?

Could be. Hmm.

Try clicking on "Blogs" near the top left. It's sort of floating in space under the main option line. See if you can create one from there.

mushroom Proficient

I don't see anything that says "Blogs" there. The only thing there is:

Follow us:

Open Original Shared LinkOpen Original Shared Link

arrow.pngOpen Original Shared Link & get the latest celiac disease research and info, gluten-free recipes, etc.

arrow.pngOpen Original Shared Link for celiac disease and gluten-free diet info mailed to your door.

arrow.pngOpen Original Shared Link

mushroom Proficient

Okay, I got what to do. Click "Blogs" in the main Option line. Then you will get a button pop up under "Mark Board as Read" on the right hand side which says "Create New Blog" :D How come I didn't figure that out before???:blink:

psawyer Proficient

It is only on the main page.

blogscreen.webp

I circled it in red in the image.

Jestgar Rising Star

I circled it in red in the image.

Peter's so cool

mushroom Proficient

Okay, so I went out and locked the door behind me, came back in through the main front door (using my key), signed in again, and I'm sorry to say that "Blogs" is still not there, circled or otherwise :P

GFinDC Veteran

It seems like the drop down menu by the user name in top right of the screen is context sensitive. When I first looked for it I was reading this thread after doing "view new content". I could see the manage blog link at the bottom of the drop down menu like Peter said.

Then I clicked on the main forum link and checked and the drop down menu again. And the manage blog link was no longer there. In fact the whole menu list had changed.

We seem to have a variable, context sensitive menu system here. Kind of like the weather report, we can't tell which way it is going to blow...

mushroom Proficient

Mebbe it is something to do with one's browser? I use Firefox. Peter's page looks a bit different to mine.

Archived