This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

2 Weeks Gluten Free..

asickdaddy

asickdaddy Explorer

Ok. 2 weeks gluten and dairy free.

At first I had a few days of rapid improvement.

Then a return of my stomach pain which lasted 3-4 days.

I have been doing ok.

I guess you could say I was chronically constipated my entire life. I never had an urge to go to the bathroom, generally I would just reach a point of pain after 5-6 days and then my body would be forced to go. Sorry to be graphic but that is how I lived for 34 years. And it seemed that once a month I would be in agony clearing out my system. I can't imagine that this would be healthy. Well, this past week I have had a regular pattern of a daily bathroom break. I imagine this is good news.

My acid reflux which was horrendous, I was having horrible chest pain, heartburn, coughing, chocking type sensations and my voice become horribly hoarse and scratchy. I even had periods of laryingitis. This seems to have resolved nearly 90%. My voice is greatly improving and I have only had one or two days of acid issues, which easily was managed by pepto.

My skin overall I think is clearing up. I had these ketarosis pilaris, basically red irritated follicles on my legs and arms. Some days they look really faded and some days they look inflamed. The larger red sores on my shoulders have faded to scars.

I have had no gluten or dairy cravings. I have not cheated except for one stupid mistake a week ago.

But I think I am in withdrawal because I feel really depressed and generally I am more of an anxious person. I don't have anxiety at the moment I just feel really lazy and withdrawn, unmotivated and at times hopeless. I am a strong person so this is not worrying me but I realize it is happening.

I feel like I am getting some strange neurological symptoms. Little strange warm spots, tingles, one day I had restless leg, I noticed in the middle of the night I bit my tongue a few times, headaches, my jaw really hurts I need my wisdom teeth removed but its like the pain has now been magnified x10.

My bowels seem to be sandy, sorry to be graphic. Its not diarrhea it just looks very sandy and flakey.

I am craving loads of caffeine and sugar. I have been drinking a ton of rasberry iced tea. I have also been eating lots of salty products. Craving potato chips and prosciutto.

I am struggling to eat properly. It seems everything has gluten. I cannot eat out and shopping is so expensive. My kids and wife are not doing the gluten free so It seems like we are shopping twice as much as usual and what I can eat is very little. I am eating chicken which I am getting sick of. Eggs, fruits and vegetables, nuts, prunes, lots of water, juices, smoothies, turkey and ham. I am bored with eating. I only eat at the moment because I need to, otherwise I could careless. I have no desires, but conversely I also think this is a problem. I know that food can be comforting and like a drug. I have no comfort with food anymore. I just eat grazing like a cow in the field. I eat to survive. I do sort of miss that comfort and the drug effects of food.

Surprisingly I am in a fog. I am kind of not appreciating the improvements as much as I thought. I nearly caved last night and ordered a pizza, not because I was craving it, but just because I was challenging the whole idea of this. I then reminded myself of all the pain and how I have been freed even if at the moment it feels like a slight improvement, it is an improvement. Fortunately I did not cave, I just went and had some iced tea and chips.

My weight. I am not overweight. I weigh 175 around 5'10. It seems I lost 5 pounds almost instantly and then it seems I gained it back and more. I weighed 180 the other day. Then the next day I weighed 175 again. Its strange my weight is jumping around a good 5-10 lbs each day. I am weighing myself in the morning. I imagine eventually I will start to lose some weight, most likely this is just my bowels.

Sorry for the lengthy report. I figured some might want to see whats happening and maybe they can learn from my experience and maybe some have some experience to share with me.

Cheers everyone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

I understand part of that (the fog, the stomach issues, the not likeing eating). It is hard. I will not lie (here i am at 3 weeks without gluten). I want to cave so bad, however i know if i do, i'll be in pain, so i tell myself its not worth it.

It will get better, or so i'm told. I've also learned that until your body is 'healed' you will have good and bad days.

asickdaddy Explorer

By the way I still have no diagnosis. I am doing this on my own. The doctors have been extremely expensive and unhelpful. They did an endoscopy when I was gluten free for 6 months. They never told me I needed to be on gluten prior. They also did not take a biopsy. Their report said everything looked normal. I was charged $13k for this and some other tests. They also tested my blood for celiac panel. I was gluten free for 6 months prior. It was negative.

This time I got back on gluten for 6 months. I progressively got sicker. I then did take a celiac blood panel and then quit. I have yet to call in to find out the results. I almost don't care, but I think the reality is I lost faith in doctors. I wish I could be diagnosed because then my little defiant streaks could chill out on trying to challenge this whole thing. There is a strong part of me that just wants to eat a pizza, just to prove something. I know silly silly.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Sickdaddy, are you eating a lot of gluten free processed foods? If so, that can cause some of the problems you are mentioning or it could be withdrawal symptoms.

Depression, no motivation, not wanting to eat, that is part of the withdrawals.

You do not have to have a dr's permission to eat gluten free. You know you are on the right track so keep at it and don't give in to the cravings or you will be kinda right back at the beginning. Hang tough you can do it.

Eating gluten free shouldn't be all that expensive. For instance, a piece of fish, Salmon or Tilapia, (Tilapia is my favorite, a can of green beans or corn, some brown rice and a salad or a baked potato. Whole foods are your best bet and then again you are sharing a house with gluten eaters too so could be a lot of cross contamination. Also, a question. Does your wife brush her teeth before you kiss her after she eats? She can gluten you if she dosen't. Do you have any household pets? They can be eating gluten therefore their coats will have gluten on them. Anyway just a few ideas. Keep hanging in there. Your good days will keep getting better and better.

asickdaddy Explorer

Sickdaddy, are you eating a lot of gluten free processed foods? If so, that can cause some of the problems you are mentioning or it could be withdrawal symptoms.

Eating gluten free shouldn't be all that expensive. For instance, a piece of fish, Salmon or Tilapia, (Tilapia is my favorite, a can of green beans or corn, some brown rice and a salad or a baked potato. Whole foods are your best bet and then again you are sharing a house with gluten eaters too so could be a lot of cross contamination. Also, a question. Does your wife brush her teeth before you kiss her after she eats? She can gluten you if she dosen't. Do you have any household pets? They can be eating gluten therefore their coats will have gluten on them. Anyway just a few ideas. Keep hanging in there. Your good days will keep getting better and better.

No cc and I am not eating processed foods. Kissing, well interestingly enough my wife is pregnant and very much going through sickness. We are both sort of sick for different reasons at the same time, I think we are more just hugging at the moment.

As for food. I cannot get fish here inexpensively unless it is canned. Fish is easily $8 a pound for anything. I can eat 2-3 lbs of fish at a time.

I just been buying stuff I can control. I also again just have no desires eating is boring. I imagine this should improve. I did just pick up some rice and potatoes so I will start working on that angle.

No pets either. But 2 kiddies and yes they could be CC'ing me but I am doubtful.

asickdaddy Explorer

I understand part of that (the fog, the stomach issues, the not likeing eating). It is hard. I will not lie (here i am at 3 weeks without gluten). I want to cave so bad, however i know if i do, i'll be in pain, so i tell myself its not worth it.

It will get better, or so i'm told. I've also learned that until your body is 'healed' you will have good and bad days.

Yeah the last time I went gluten free I think it was a good month to 2 months before I got into the routine and felt adjusted. This time seems a little more painful of a process.

• 2 weeks later...
tammykinz Rookie

the depressive like symptoms could be a symptom of B12 deficiency. This can be a side effect of coming off of gluten and not getting enough of these essential B vitamins elsewhere. You can get your B vitamins tested if you ask your doc !! could be lower iron levels too. good luck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived