25 replies to this topic

#1 jasonD2

jasonD2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

i have an important job interview and the manager wants to meet me for lunch. first of all i hate combining food/meals with important things like job interviews but i am also worried about eating out at a place i am unsure of . I most certainly cant bring up my food issues on the interview and not sure what the manager has in mind for lunch. how should i handle this?
Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

Eat beforehand and order a plain salad.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

Eat beforehand and order a plain salad.

With olive oil and vinegar on the side.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 jasonD2

jasonD2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

SHould i tell him i have a committment during lunch hrs and try to pick another time? will that make me look bad?
Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Positive for DQ8- 2008

#5 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

Perhaps go ahead with lunch but just tell him you have celiac and would like to choose the restaurant. Is there a place you trust?

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#6 jasonD2

jasonD2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

cant bring that up on the interview. im there to make a good impression and land the job- can mention that stuff later. should i just request a different time or will that make me look bad?

Positive for DQ8- 2008

#7 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

Is this job something that would require you to eat out a lot? Like would you have to take clients out to lunch or something? I think I would scheduela late "lunch" interview like at 1 or 2 PM then order only a salad with no croutons, with olive oil and lemon on the side. But I wouldn't eat it. hardlya bite. Get yourself something to eat beforore hand so you are not hungry and just sip on your drink. They usually don't expect you to eat anyway for a lunch interview. Make up a list of questions and to ask to keep so busy taking that you are not worried about the food. If he insisted you eat up because it's on the company then reply, "Oh that's very generous but I would much rather discuss the position..." then either ask a question or if it seems liek he is tryignt ot get a break from talking to eat himself then you could start listing all the qualities you have that make you a perfect candidate. ;)

Another option is to find out about the place before hand and arrive early enough to speak to the manager about what you can have that is safe. Then you can explain that you are having a lunch interview there and you don't want to draw attention to your "food issues" and want to pre-order you meal to be prepared/served at the same time as your interviewers meal. They might even seat you in the bar to wait for your interviewer so when he arrives you can say you arrived early and decided what you wanted already. as long as you are upbeat and confident about it everythign shoudl be fine. You might even fidn the manager will come around to cehck and make sure your food is to your liking, which I know you may be thinking that would be embarrassing but it could also be very flattering and possibly impress the interviewer that you made such a good connection with the manager that they are checking on you. It all depends on how you look at it and how you handle it.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#8 jasonD2

jasonD2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

yes its for a sales job and honestly im gonna be stressed out enough and dont need additional anxiety about getting glutened on a job interview. i work in sales now and i do fine when i travel but i just dont wanna bring it up on the interview. we are meeting at a hotel with several restaurants so we could be going to any of them. see what i mean? if i tell him i have a commitment for my other job during lunch hors and ask to meet any other time during the day would that be ok?

Positive for DQ8- 2008

#9 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

yes its for a sales job and honestly im gonna be stressed out enough and dont need additional anxiety about getting glutened on a job interview. i work in sales now and i do fine when i travel but i just dont wanna bring it up on the interview. we are meeting at a hotel with several restaurants so we could be going to any of them. see what i mean? if i tell him i have a commitment for my other job during lunch hors and ask to meet any other time during the day would that be ok?

I guess you could always do that and just ask to meet for drinks in the evening or coffee if meeting in the afternoon. I don't see why that would be bad if handled in the right way.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#10 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:40 PM

Oh man, I have this fear!! I really sympathize.

I don't think there's anything wrong with just rescheduling to a non-meal time. I'd thank him for the generosity of the lunch offer, too, and if you think schmoozing will help you land the job, offer to go for coffee/tea. Sometimes they take you to lunch to size you up in social situations and make sure you're not a jerk. ;)

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#11 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,926 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:04 PM

If you were allergic to peanuts, would you try to keep that a secret? Would you risk anaphylaxis by not telling the server?

I believe that honesty is the best policy. If you hide it during the interview, you will still have to deal with it later. They may then wonder why you hid it, and what else you may be hiding.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#12 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

If you were allergic to peanuts, would you try to keep that a secret? Would you risk anaphylaxis by not telling the server?

I believe that honesty is the best policy. If you hide it during the interview, you will still have to deal with it later. They may then wonder why you hid it, and what else you may be hiding.

I agree, it shouldn't matter in this position. Being Celiac has nothing to do with your job. Just think, at some point they will know you are a celiac! Tell them and best of luck to you! Please call ahead if you can. Be safe, I understand about getting a job. I'm about to lose mine. Best luck to you!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#13 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,926 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

Another thought, going beyond the interview to the job itself. You probably already know this, but I'll throw it out for discussion.

I have worked in sales support, and have been to many customer food events. If you are the vendor (sales rep) then you are the host. The host controls the venue. I took customer preferences and requirements into consideration, but at the end of the day, as the guy buying, the final choice of location was always mine. Celiac disease should not prevent you from doing the job, and if the prospective employer can't "get" that, then maybe that is not such a good place for you to work.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#14 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

If you're working another part time job, it will be fine to ask for a different interview time. It's better to show up and be confident at a neuetral location than to worry about what will happen at lunch.

If it ends up that you must have a lunch interview, my go to order is broiled fish or shellfish in olive oil, no seasoning please, over greens, no dressing or croutons or cheese. If they have a spare wedge of lemon or lime, you'd love it. I think most restaurants use a clean dish for broiling. I' m not confident about
their grill.

Hope this helps, good luck with your interview!

I'd tell the guy that's interviewing me that I'm on the South Beach Diet and lost 20 pounds. I'd be telling the truth. (I actually lost 35 lb.)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#15 jen.mor

jen.mor

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

I don't see why having celiac is such a big deal. I'd let your future employer know. Be honest because it's not something you should hide from :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: