5 replies to this topic

#1 Mizzo

Mizzo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

Is ANyone else having bed-wetting issue's?

My DD will be 8 in 4 wks. She had lots of day-accidents before diagnosis, those have stopped completely except for when she gets glutened. She has not been dry for 2 nights in a row ever.

We are getting her up at 10:30 at night to use the bathroom , she get's nothing to drink after dinner and she still wets. She is in XL underjams and is now feeling the pressure of "Sleepovers".

We just missed a Girl Scout opportunity and she was devastated. I hesitate to call the Dr's, Last time this discussion was had our Pedi said "wait it out another year and see what happens", our GI wanted to send us to a specialty clinic.

Is this common for Celiac's? Any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

We have had some of this in our extended family. Summer is a good time to work on it. Look on the internet & there are websites that talk about it.

What helped for some kids was some "bladder enlargeing & muscle training". When you feel the need to pee, hold it another 10 -30 minutes. When you pee, stop & start. Sometimes a month or 2 of this will really help.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

Is ANyone else having bed-wetting issue's?

My DD will be 8 in 4 wks. She had lots of day-accidents before diagnosis, those have stopped completely except for when she gets glutened. She has not been dry for 2 nights in a row ever.

We are getting her up at 10:30 at night to use the bathroom , she get's nothing to drink after dinner and she still wets. She is in XL underjams and is now feeling the pressure of "Sleepovers".

We just missed a Girl Scout opportunity and she was devastated. I hesitate to call the Dr's, Last time this discussion was had our Pedi said "wait it out another year and see what happens", our GI wanted to send us to a specialty clinic.

Is this common for Celiac's? Any advice?

Im not sure if this is assosiated with celiac but I can certainly sympathize with your daughter, I was a bedwetter till...well lets just say I had my period and STILL wet the bed. Don't let them tell you to wait another year it is really hard on a little girl. Im my case I was always told I was lazy, too deep a sleeper, drinking too much before bed etc..

when they finally took it seriously and I was mortified by it completely the doctor actually examined me and realized my bladder was the size of and infants!

He prescribed some medication that encourages the bladder to grow (sorry I don't know what it is called-but I have seen it advertised in magazines) and voila never had a problem since...

I'm not saying that is her problem but have them check the size of her bladder itself. I don't have celiac (or at least I had a negative blood result after my brother and son were diagnosed)

I was actually going to talk to my doctor tomorrow about my own little one who is having a hard time with potty training and I was wondering at what point can they tell if her bladder is or isn't developing. She goes to the potty and two minutes later can pee her pants...thinking she may have the same problem as mommy did.

Good luck with this and hopefully for your DD sake you find answers soon, if it makes her feel better let her know when I was that age there was no such thing as underjammies! lol I learned how to wash bedding and pj's by myself at a very young age. lol

#4 WW340

WW340

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

My son had this problem. He does have celiac, and it does run in families, but I do not know of any celiac relationship.

The pad and bell worked wonderfully for us. It was like a magic cure. You have to work with the program by getting up with the child and washing their face and completely waking them up, but after several times, they get it and start controlling their bladder.

http://bedwettingsto...bellandpad.html we got ours at sears, but this is the concept.
Positive Bloodwork January 2007
Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007
Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)

#5 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

My oldest had never been dry a day in his life at night since he was born till he was a little over 6 years old. I was potty trainging his little brother at the time and thought it would be a good chance for him too. I bought an enuresis alarm by Malem it worked great. In the booklet that came with it it said it could take up to several months to be sucessfull. My son was dry at night in two weeks! I hung onto it after in case we needed it for the youngest one. Once he was potty trained he was broke both night and day so I didn't need it anymore. I was able to sell the unit as the sensor is replaceable. I am glad to say my oldest is 10 now and has been dry at night since. Here are a few links to the alarms.

http://bedwettingsto...tting_alarm.htm

http://malembedwettingalarm.net/

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#6 SilverSlipper

SilverSlipper

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

My daughter was completely dry during nights and then started having tummy problems (which led to the Celiac diagnosis). She started wetting the bed during that time and I've always wondered if there was a Celiac connection. Our doctor prescribed desmopressin. Within a few weeks she was completely dry all night and hasn't had problems since. We started it after she turned 8 yrs old by the way. Best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: