Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Brown Rice Intolerance - Wild Rice Ok? Other Foods To Avoid?

6 posts in this topic

I definitely do not tolerate brown rice. The first few weeks I went gluten-free, I could eat it without much trouble. But about 5 weeks into it, I reacted to Tikiyada brown rice pasta - 2 days after eating it, I had bad stomach pain for 2 days. I waited a couple of weeks and ate one serving of Lundberg brown rice to confirm that that was indeed the culprit. After 2 days, my pain came on worse than the last time and caused my constipation to get really bad - had 5 days of trouble that time. (I just discovered this week that my reaction to gluten is primarily neuro, so it wasn't an issue of CC.)

What I don't get is that I can eat white rice with no problems. I'm curious if wild rice would be an issue? Are there other foods that have something in common with brown rice that I should be very careful of? I saw a couple of things mentioned that brown rice has that white rice doesn't. One was phytic acid. But it's also in corn and peanuts, and I can eat corn products and peanut butter with no trouble. I also looked up lectin. But it's in potatoes, strawberries, and oranges, and I can eat all of those.

I certainly hope that this is an intolerance that fades the longer I'm gluten-free. It's in SO many gluten-free products!!!

Ads by Google:

Intolerances can be funny things (not humurous, however) :( You mentioned lectins, for example. Hardly anyone is intolerant to all lectins. I am intolerant to more than most, but I handle dairy just find. You can be intolerant to a few lectins, or one or two, or only one. Sometimes it depends on how much of the particular food you eat. I used to eat a lot of nightshades. After I became intolerant of them I ate a lot of legumes - yep, you guessed it, intolerant now. Since I enjoy strong flavors I eventually became intolerant of citrus through overuse. :( I am hoping to be able to reintroduce some of these foods. Also, I haven't eaten corn that contains the outer covering for years, but I can tolerate cornstarch in baking, which is highly refined. I have no idea of its lectin content, but it might have something to do with the fact that it is combined with other foods also.

I eat white rice rather than brown rice because most of the lectins in rice are contained in the bran and I am not anxious to add rice to my no-go list. And you should have no problem with wild rice because it is a grass, a different family from regular rice.

I definitely do not tolerate brown rice. The first few weeks I went gluten-free, I could eat it without much trouble. But about 5 weeks into it, I reacted to Tikiyada brown rice pasta - 2 days after eating it, I had bad stomach pain for 2 days. I waited a couple of weeks and ate one serving of Lundberg brown rice to confirm that that was indeed the culprit. After 2 days, my pain came on worse than the last time and caused my constipation to get really bad - had 5 days of trouble that time. (I just discovered this week that my reaction to gluten is primarily neuro, so it wasn't an issue of CC.)

What I don't get is that I can eat white rice with no problems. I'm curious if wild rice would be an issue? Are there other foods that have something in common with brown rice that I should be very careful of? I saw a couple of things mentioned that brown rice has that white rice doesn't. One was phytic acid. But it's also in corn and peanuts, and I can eat corn products and peanut butter with no trouble. I also looked up lectin. But it's in potatoes, strawberries, and oranges, and I can eat all of those.

I certainly hope that this is an intolerance that fades the longer I'm gluten-free. It's in SO many gluten-free products!!!

Okay a few things for you to consider:

1. Was the Tinkyada made in pans previously used for gluten pastas or drained in a strainer previously used for gltuen pastas? Did you take care to eliminate all forms of cc? And what did you eat with the Tinkyada? Any type of sauce or butter, etc.?

Althoguh your reaction may have been primarily neuro, reactions can change after goign gluten-free. I did not have any of the bad digestive symtpoms prior to goign gluten-free. Now I get the neuro symptoms AND the digestive symptoms too.

2. Lundberg is labeled gluten free, but I have read of others on this board having trouble with that brand specifically.

3. You may just not be able to digest brown rice yet. It may be somethign you just need to avoid for several months until your body heals more. However if it bothers you there's really no harm in eating white rice instead. I know people talk about how "healthy" brown rice is compared to white but really IMO that does not apply to people with issues such as celiac. Wheat is considered to be "healthy" too and we can't eat that. It's better for you to avoid foods that make you sick. With the brown rice I would avoid it for at least 6 months and then trial it to see if the reactions were the same.

Okay a few things for you to consider:

1. Was the Tinkyada made in pans previously used for gluten pastas or drained in a strainer previously used for gltuen pastas? Did you take care to eliminate all forms of cc? And what did you eat with the Tinkyada? Any type of sauce or butter, etc.?

Althoguh your reaction may have been primarily neuro, reactions can change after goign gluten-free. I did not have any of the bad digestive symtpoms prior to goign gluten-free. Now I get the neuro symptoms AND the digestive symptoms too.

2. Lundberg is labeled gluten free, but I have read of others on this board having trouble with that brand specifically.

3. You may just not be able to digest brown rice yet. It may be somethign you just need to avoid for several months until your body heals more. However if it bothers you there's really no harm in eating white rice instead. I know people talk about how "healthy" brown rice is compared to white but really IMO that does not apply to people with issues such as celiac. Wheat is considered to be "healthy" too and we can't eat that. It's better for you to avoid foods that make you sick. With the brown rice I would avoid it for at least 6 months and then trial it to see if the reactions were the same.

Thanks for the suggestions. I made the pasta in an unscratched stainless steel pot I had scrubbed VERY well. Brand new strainer only used for gluten-free food. I only used butter on the pasta and have since used buttter with no trouble. Another reason I suspect brown rice is that I had a lot of burping (unusual for me) when I first went gluten-free. When I stopped eating gluten-free bread and bagels, which had brown rice flour, the burping stopped. Then, we I felt so bad after eating the pasta, I put two and two together. I've kept a food diary the last 5 weeks, which is helping me figure all this out. (

I think I will try it again in 6 months and hope it's a temporary intolerance. I'm doing a FODMAP diet since I react to high levels of fructose and am not sure what else, so it's going to take me a LONG time to cycle through new foods anyway! LOL!

A lot of people with fodmap problems can't tolerate brown rice, myself included. It's been tested safe for fodmaps but some people think they react to the small amount of fructans.

Are you a member of the yahoo group 'fructose malabsorption australia'? If not, they are a great resource.

A lot of people with fodmap problems can't tolerate brown rice, myself included. It's been tested safe for fodmaps but some people think they react to the small amount of fructans.

Are you a member of the yahoo group 'fructose malabsorption australia'? If not, they are a great resource.

I am a member of that group, thanks! I just thought i'd get the celiac point of view. :) I met with a dietician last night, and she's encouraging me to start testing foods and see how it goes.

I really look forward to the cookbooks I ordered and the flours. It's hard to make the kids gluten-free bread from the mixes I have and not be able to try it!!