Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Free Hotdogs?

18 posts in this topic

BBQ season is here and I've been very busy at work lately (we own a garden centre) so sometimes it is nice just to come home and put some hotdogs/hamburgers on the BBQ but which brands are Gluten Free? It would really save me some time if anyone in Ontario knows already which brand(s) I can buy in my local grocery store...Maple leaf, Snyders, Jumbo juicy's? any of these or others that you know of? Thanks in advance :)

Ads by Google:

Hebrew National are safe here in the U.S. Not sure if they sell them in Ontario.

Butterball turkey franks are safe. I eat them all the time and haven't had any problems. The butterball site says they are gluten free.

Any uncured hot dogs or bacon for that matter. Been eating Trader Joes hot dogs. They are great.

For those of us in the U.S., hot dogs are universally gluten-free. Not a single one that I know of has gluten. I'd bet it's the same or nearly so in Canada.

richard

The only gluten-free hot dog I've found in Canada that's readily available at all grocery stores is Top Dog Angus Beef. Please check ingredients though, as the other Maple Leaf brands all contain wheat. I discovered the Top Dog Angus Beef last summer and haven't looked at the ingredients yet this year.

Oscar Mayer are gluten-free. Some of the kosher dogs might not be, I seem to recall, but Canadian ones might be different.

The only gluten-free hot dog I've found in Canada that's readily available at all grocery stores is Top Dog Angus Beef. Please check ingredients though, as the other Maple Leaf brands all contain wheat. I discovered the Top Dog Angus Beef last summer and haven't looked at the ingredients yet this year.

Thanks I'll look for them, a lot of the hot dogs here have wheat and the rest say "may contain wheat" or spices or modified cornstarch so I'm a little unsure. I will have to do some more research on some other brands and contact them to find out more.

Thanks everyone else, unfortunetely I havent' heard of any of those brands here in ont.

LOL :D Gotta love this forum! I just did a google search to come up with more info on gluten free hotdogs and immediately got directed to this website. Just read an old post from last year and I hope to find some of those gluten-free hot dogs at costco, lets hope they sell them this year :) Thanks again everyone

Finding the hotdogs is pretty easy. It's getting good buns that's the hard part. (IMHO)

Finding the hotdogs is pretty easy. It's getting good buns that's the hard part. (IMHO)

lol Well my son never ate the bun before we found out he had celiac so he doesn't care too much. We actually slice 1/2 the weiner three times up the length and roast them over the firepit...as they cook they shrink up and they look like a squid. We call them Squidward hotdogs and the kids love them. lol

Thanks I'll look for them, a lot of the hot dogs here have wheat and the rest say "may contain wheat" or spices or modified cornstarch so I'm a little unsure. I will have to do some more research on some other brands and contact them to find out more.

Thanks everyone else, unfortunetely I havent' heard of any of those brands here in ont.

That is so interesting. Here in the US, I have never seen wheat in a hot dog. I don't eat them except once in a blue moon, but I have a harder time finding hot dogs that are soy free and pork free. I guess I will probably never eat one in Canada. :lol:

ETA: I am pretty sure "spices" and "modified cornstarch" are gluten-free in US and Canada.

ETA: I am pretty sure "spices" and "modified cornstarch" are gluten-free in US and Canada.

They are indeed gluten-free.

They are indeed gluten-free.

\

Really? we have been avoiding anything that says "spices" and "modified cornstarch" because I thought those potentially could have gluten. This is so confusing. lol Trying to remember everything and learn all I need. On any ingredients list do they now have to list any "hidden" glutens?

O.k just dug out my Pocket dictionary and yes it does say modified cornstarch is fine but check modified starch. lol My boy will be happy with this...silly me, it is hard remembering everything. lol

Thanks once again everyone.

Really.

Modified cornstarch is made from corn and is not a concern. Modified food starch could be wheat, but under current rules in both Canada and the US it must be clearly disclosed if wheat is the source. It is most commonly from tapioca or corn.

"Spices" includes a number of possible ingredients, but none of them are derived from grain. Grains cannot be labeled as "spices" in Canada, nor in the US.

My mistake for saying earlier that I would think most hot dogs in Canada would be gluten-free. Didn't realize they put wheat is some of their dogs. Of course, they also put wheat in their Lea & Perrins worcester sauce (or did, at least).

richard

I hear ya on that one!! I rarely eat hotdogs anymore cause it was always about the roll for me! My daughter actually sent me a photo yesterday of the two hotdogs she was having for lunch... on Udi's hotdog rolls! There are no Udi's hotdog rolls in west-by-go-nowhere Arkansas!