17 replies to this topic

#1 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

BBQ season is here and I've been very busy at work lately (we own a garden centre) so sometimes it is nice just to come home and put some hotdogs/hamburgers on the BBQ but which brands are Gluten Free? It would really save me some time if anyone in Ontario knows already which brand(s) I can buy in my local grocery store...Maple leaf, Snyders, Jumbo juicy's? any of these or others that you know of? Thanks in advance :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jebby

jebby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hebrew National are safe here in the U.S. Not sure if they sell them in Ontario.

#3 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

Butterball turkey franks are safe. I eat them all the time and haven't had any problems. The butterball site says they are gluten free.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#4 FernW

FernW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

Any uncured hot dogs or bacon for that matter. Been eating Trader Joes hot dogs. They are great.

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:57 AM

For those of us in the U.S., hot dogs are universally gluten-free. Not a single one that I know of has gluten. I'd bet it's the same or nearly so in Canada.

richard

#6 Goof

Goof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:39 AM

Dietz and Watson has a lot of gluten-free dogs. (Not sure if they're national? :huh: ) Check their website. http://www.dietzandwatson.com/

#7 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:43 AM

The only gluten-free hot dog I've found in Canada that's readily available at all grocery stores is Top Dog Angus Beef. Please check ingredients though, as the other Maple Leaf brands all contain wheat. I discovered the Top Dog Angus Beef last summer and haven't looked at the ingredients yet this year.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#8 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Oscar Mayer are gluten-free. Some of the kosher dogs might not be, I seem to recall, but Canadian ones might be different.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#9 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:56 PM

The only gluten-free hot dog I've found in Canada that's readily available at all grocery stores is Top Dog Angus Beef. Please check ingredients though, as the other Maple Leaf brands all contain wheat. I discovered the Top Dog Angus Beef last summer and haven't looked at the ingredients yet this year.

Thanks I'll look for them, a lot of the hot dogs here have wheat and the rest say "may contain wheat" or spices or modified cornstarch so I'm a little unsure. I will have to do some more research on some other brands and contact them to find out more.

Thanks everyone else, unfortunetely I havent' heard of any of those brands here in ont.

#10 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

LOL :D Gotta love this forum! I just did a google search to come up with more info on gluten free hotdogs and immediately got directed to this website. Just read an old post from last year and I hope to find some of those gluten-free hot dogs at costco, lets hope they sell them this year :) Thanks again everyone

#11 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

Finding the hotdogs is pretty easy. It's getting good buns that's the hard part. (IMHO)
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#12 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

Finding the hotdogs is pretty easy. It's getting good buns that's the hard part. (IMHO)

lol Well my son never ate the bun before we found out he had celiac so he doesn't care too much. We actually slice 1/2 the weiner three times up the length and roast them over the firepit...as they cook they shrink up and they look like a squid. We call them Squidward hotdogs and the kids love them. lol

#13 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

Thanks I'll look for them, a lot of the hot dogs here have wheat and the rest say "may contain wheat" or spices or modified cornstarch so I'm a little unsure. I will have to do some more research on some other brands and contact them to find out more.

Thanks everyone else, unfortunetely I havent' heard of any of those brands here in ont.

That is so interesting. Here in the US, I have never seen wheat in a hot dog. I don't eat them except once in a blue moon, but I have a harder time finding hot dogs that are soy free and pork free. I guess I will probably never eat one in Canada. :lol:

ETA: I am pretty sure "spices" and "modified cornstarch" are gluten-free in US and Canada.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:17 AM

ETA: I am pretty sure "spices" and "modified cornstarch" are gluten-free in US and Canada.

They are indeed gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

They are indeed gluten-free.

\
Really? we have been avoiding anything that says "spices" and "modified cornstarch" because I thought those potentially could have gluten. This is so confusing. lol Trying to remember everything and learn all I need. On any ingredients list do they now have to list any "hidden" glutens?

O.k just dug out my Pocket dictionary and yes it does say modified cornstarch is fine but check modified starch. lol My boy will be happy with this...silly me, it is hard remembering everything. lol

Thanks once again everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: