This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

'breakfast In America'

Ray H

Ray H Newbie

Hi, I live in the UK and will be visiting friends who live in Springfield, Virginia in August. Im going to take some gluten-free loafs and rolls from here to tie me over for a couple of days untill I can get some there, but my concern is what breakfast cerial can I eat there thats gluten-free? I have stayed with the same family when they were stationed in Germany and noticed that the American cerials have different ingrediants, or they might be the same as ours, but the name is different. Do gluten-free breakfast cerials state that they are gluten-free on the packet? and are they easy to find in the shops? Any suggestions please. Here in the UK, the only gluten-free cerials are plain Cornfakes and Rice Crispies. Theres lots of other cerials and its easy to see which is gluten-free, but the European Directive comes in to force soon that means that things like gluten, egg, milk, soya, nuts etc have to be listed on the food packaging. Some supermarkets have already started putting the ingrediants on the food.

Thank you for any help, Ray.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

The only cereals in regular grocery stores that are gluten free are Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles. Rice Krispies are not gluten free...they have barley in it and corn flakes are not gluten free either.

Ray H Newbie
The only cereals in regular grocery stores that are gluten free are Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles. Rice Krispies are not gluten free...they have barley in it and corn flakes are not gluten free either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, I dont think Kellogs Cornflakes are truly gluten-free because they have malt added, which comes from barley. I have always been told that 1 bowl of cornflaks a day will not harm you. I remember being at a local Coeliac group meeting where we were told of a case where a man had been diagnosed with celiac disease and had been unable to get onto a gluten-free diet (not his fault) so had lived on 3 or 4 bowls of Cornflakes a day. He was not putting on any weight untill the dietition realised what he was eating. In fact he continued to loose weight and nearly died. As far as I know, our Rice Crispies dont contain malt. What are the Cocca and Fruity pebbles like?

Guest nini

Some major chain grocery stores are starting to carry Natures Path and Envirokids Cereals (usually in their health food section) and those brands will clearly label which ones are Gluten Free. They are also available at Whole Foods, so if your friends have a Whole Foods near them maybe you can get some of those.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

Well, this is your lucky day! There's a WholeFoods in Springfield, Va. WholeFoods is one of the main "health foods" stores Celiacs like to shop at here in the U.S.

Some staples WholeFoods usually carries are Envirokidz cereals *not all are gluten-free, but the boxes are marked on the top right side*, Kinnnikinnick breads, bagels, donuts, pizza crusts, Tinkyada Pastas--they're the best gluten-free pasta ever.

Have fun on your vacation.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I just read all the posts...Ray, Post Fruity Pebbles are neon colored sugar bombs and the Cocoa Pebbles are their dark chocolate cousins. If you're over the age of 10 they may not appeal to you. ;) Though there are exceptions .....

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

The fruity and cocoa pebbles are very sugary..very good though :D and I am not big on sugar.

If you go to a health food store there are more choices. I love the Envirokidz Frosted Flakes, and some of their cereals..also Enjoy Life has a cinnamon raisin crunch that is very healthy and good.

I'm not sure what they say over there but over here any gluten in any amount is not okay.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator
I just read all the posts...Ray, Post Fruity Pebbles are neon colored sugar bombs and the Cocoa Pebbles are their dark chocolate cousins.  If you're over the age of 10 they may not appeal to you.  ;)  Though there are exceptions .....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL...so true :lol:

VydorScope Proficient

Hi!

I get Open Original Shared Link by Barbarar Backary here in my local groccery chain. Its gluten-free, and labeled as shuch. Just ate a bowl actully. They have a couple few cerals that are gluten-free, just check the box. If it says "wheat free" and not "gluten free, then it has otas init. If it says both wheat and gluten free then you all set!

That plus Envirokids and Nature's path as mention above seem to be gaining ground in normal food stores. You often have to look for the "health food section" of the store.

Whole foods also mentioned above is a great place to shop!

chana Rookie

Hi! I found the Envirokids cereals in PathMark, also the cornflakes and also the gorilla munch. It specifically says on it that it is gluten free, and it's even good!!

Have a great summer. :rolleyes:

Chana

gf4life Enthusiast

Ray, If you are able to go to the Whole Foods store when you get here, then you should also be able to find Health Valley Rice Crunch'Ems and Corn Crunch'Ems. They are like Chex cereal here in the US, but they don't have the malt that is found in almost every cereal at the regular grocery store! They are very tasty.

Also we like Perky's Nutty Rice. They are crunchy toasted rice balls and are very good.

The Nature's Path cereals are good, but the Envirokids cereals tend to be too sweet for my liking and even my kids got tired of them quickly. We all love the Health Valley Rice Crunch'Ems and Corn Crunch'Ems, Barbara's Honey rice Puffins (the other flavors of Puffins have Oats in them), and also Erewhon's Crispy Brown Rice, Crispy Brown Rice with Berries and Rice Twice. All of these should be available at Whole Foods.

God bless,

Mariann

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi! Welcome to the board!!

I can't comment on what would be available in the States since I am Canadian (obviously, with my handle!!!). I just wanted to ask if you were a Supertramp fan..... your topic caught my eye right away when I saw the "Breakfast in America"...... lol!!! :P

Karen

Ray H Newbie

'Could we have kippers for breakfast?'

Hi Karan, thanks for the welcome, and thank you to everyone for the assistance in finding stores local to Springfield, VA. I logged onto the web sites and found their location with MSN maps. Some stores are very close to where I will be staying.

I was very concerned about being able to get gluten-free food while I'm there and I didnt want to put my friends to a lot of hassle. I'm hoping that I will be asked to visit again? Thank you all again.

Karan, no I'm not a Supertramp fan but I do like their type of music along with Allman bros, Stones, Dylan, Who, Free, Thin Lizzy, Hendrix, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, etc. Being in my mid 50's, I grew up with lots of music such as these.

I realise that the 'Simpsons' live in Springfield, but which one? There seems to be lots of Springfields in the USA. Ray.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

We had a Supertramp song as our wedding song "Downstream"......

Fleetwood Mac is also high on our list - we named our daughter Rhiannon!!

Oldest daughter (who is 11) is into all the music that was out when I was growing up (I am 42). She loves AC/DC, U2, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Lynard Skynard...... (We worked hard instilling a good taste of music in this girl!!!!) LOL! ;)

Karen

Archived