This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Prolactin

OptimisticMom42

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

Hello Ladies,

It's been awhile since I've been here so I'm hoping you will excuse my absence and answer my question anyhow.

Around about Dec. I started having heavy periods, breast pain, swelling, hard nipples that itch intensely. I googled and decided it was perimenopause. I'm 44. Tried wild yam root. Bled for four weeks stright. No more wild yam root for me.

Finally went to my sister's gyno and had lots of tests. Everything normal except my prolactin was too high (59). The doc said I probably have a tumor but at any rate they don't treat unless it hits 100.

Googled again and found that high prolactin in celiacs is indicative of active desease so I am being extremely careful with my diet. My last period was almost normal and the swelling has gone down but the pain and itching continues.

Anyone been through this? What can I do to make it stop? If it's just diet how long will I have to limit myself to my "safe diet" before I should be seeing some relief?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

RA

PS not sure if this is related but I am also fighting yeast AGAIN! taking acidolphilus pearls

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

My aunt had begun to lactate and wasn't pregnant. She went to her doctor and found her prolactin levels were high. Next they did a MRI of her brain and found a pitituary microadenoma. It is a benign tumor that was causing her prolactin level to be elevated. She takes medication now and is back to normal. I'm not saying this is what you have, but worth ruling it out since it stands to reason that it could keep elevating your level if untreated.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

I'm not saying this is what you have, but worth ruling it out since it stands to reason that it could keep elevating your level if untreated.

That was my first thought also. The doc didn't seem to think so (until it hits 100). I think he should wear clothes pins on his nipples until he agrees it's time to treat. That way we can share the pain!

And he should eat nothing but chicken breast, green beans and organic spring mix, get lots of sleep, do yoga, work 45 hours a week and run a household full of teenagers and pets. You know just so the clothes pins can be on his last nerve like mine!

Thanks for your reply. I'll call the doctor's office and see if I can talk them into it.

RA

Medusa Newbie

Not sure where you are geographically, so not sure if you can get this, but I use a herbal supplement called "Dida" when I feel yeasty - it seems to be mostly cinnamon oil, oregano and garlic. I've seen similar supplements under different names outside of Europe too.

Homeopathy can help with hormonal problems - Sepia might be worth a try, or better still consult a homeopath so they can find the right remedy for you! Going gluten free made a huge improvement in my awful PMT - must have hormonal effects I think. On the basis that the cycle your are trying to influence runs for a good 28 days, you may need time to see results. Good luck!

Archived