Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Maltodextrin In My Vitamins?

3 posts in this topic

Hello I'm new to food intolerances and paying attention to what I eat. I may have a gluten intolerance or some other food intolerances. I am working on getting tested.

I was just looking at the multivitamin I take and notices it has maltodextrin as an ingredient. Nutrilite Women's Pack is what I'm taking. It's an Amway brand.

I know that foods in the U.S. are required to say whether or not the maltodextrin is from wheat, but is the same true for vitamins? Do I need to call and ask if I want to know?

Thanks anyone who answers this. I was jsut curious, since if I end up with a gluten intolerance I'd like to limit it as much as possible obviously.

Ads by Google:

Hello I'm new to food intolerances and paying attention to what I eat. I may have a gluten intolerance or some other food intolerances. I am working on getting tested.

I was just looking at the multivitamin I take and notices it has maltodextrin as an ingredient. Nutrilite Women's Pack is what I'm taking. It's an Amway brand.

I know that foods in the U.S. are required to say whether or not the maltodextrin is from wheat, but is the same true for vitamins? Do I need to call and ask if I want to know?

Thanks anyone who answers this. I was jsut curious, since if I end up with a gluten intolerance I'd like to limit it as much as possible obviously.

Maltodextrin should not be derived from wheat in the US, even though wheat is not required to be labeled in vitamins.

Most supplements do have a (800 #) that you can call. And I would encourage you to do so.

Welcome!

I just wanted to add that if you are working on getting tested for celiac do NOT go gluten free yet. False negatives are fairly common even on a full gluten diet and if you cut gluten out before testing your tests will likely be negative even if you are celiac.

Once your done with testing then do give the diet a try no matter what the test results.