9 replies to this topic

#1 9na

9na

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:20 AM

I was diagnosed vitamin D deficient about 6 months ago, and have been on supplements since. Two months ago I had great levels of D - I'm still on supplements, though.
I'm having a biopsy, probably in about a month.

Now, some of my symptoms could very well fit the description of B12 deficiency. I understand that this, just like Vitamin D deficinecy, is pretty common for celiacs/gluten intolerant.

B12 is suppose to be stored in the body for a long time, right. Well, I felt some improvement when I took quite large doses of B12, but two days ago I ran out, and today I feel several of the same symptoms. Is it possible that my body is unable to store the B12 as it is now? That I need to take them every day in large doses, until I can go gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

If you are still eating gluten, you probably are not absorbing the B12. Try the sublingual kind....they will get into your system better.
Gluten Free since 2010

#3 9na

9na

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:17 AM

If you are still eating gluten, you probably are not absorbing the B12. Try the sublingual kind....they will get into your system better.

I am still eating gluten - I have to until the biopsy is done.

The pills I've been taking are sublingual, and I'll be getting some more of those next week. Just wondering if it is possible that I need to take them every single day.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

I am still eating gluten - I have to until the biopsy is done.

The pills I've been taking are sublingual, and I'll be getting some more of those next week. Just wondering if it is possible that I need to take them every single day.

Yes take them every day until you have been gluten free long enough to heal and to be able to absorb and utilize the B12 from regular supplements and your food. That may take awhile even after you stop eating gluten.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

is it cyano or methyl? and if you are over 40 you may need to supplement in perpituity,

#6 9na

9na

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

is it cyano or methyl? and if you are over 40 you may need to supplement in perpituity,

They are methylcobalamin. And I'm not over 40 for another 9 years ;)

#7 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:18 AM

I have to take my sublingual B12 everyday. If I miss a day, I get the sores on the corners of my mouth INSTANTLY. I've just resolved to take one every day from now on... and yes I'm over 40!!
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

#8 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:52 AM

I don' think that b12 deficiancy's really depend on whether you're eating gluten or not. I've been a celiac for 7 years and am very strict about my diet and I was just diagnosed with a b12 deficiancy a few months ago. "Normal" range is 200-900 and I was under 150, which the doctor called freakishly low...however, I was given no explaination as to why I was b12 deficiant or for how long I have been. I'm currently getting shots every 3 weeks before I get started on the pills.

#9 9na

9na

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:54 AM

I don' think that b12 deficiancy's really depend on whether you're eating gluten or not. I've been a celiac for 7 years and am very strict about my diet and I was just diagnosed with a b12 deficiancy a few months ago. "Normal" range is 200-900 and I was under 150, which the doctor called freakishly low...however, I was given no explaination as to why I was b12 deficiant or for how long I have been. I'm currently getting shots every 3 weeks before I get started on the pills.

Of course one could be vitamin deficient without any celiac problem, but malnutrition often results in vitamin and mineral deficiencies, as far as I know.

My B12 level hasn't been checked as far as I know, but I have also read that that is not necessary - it takes a loooong time of deficiency for it to show on a blood test, and also there is no harm in taking B12 even if one shouldn't need it.

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:54 AM

There are some people that have something called pernicious (sp) anemia independant of celiac. For them their bodies don't make something called intrinsic factor. That factor is needed to be able to utilize B12 from food or supplements. They usually need supplementation by shots and/or sublinguals for life. Recent studies are showing that the lower level should be around 500. People are often symtomatic at under the 500 level.
You must have been feeling really off with levels that low. Glad your doctor caught it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: