13 replies to this topic

#1 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:37 AM

I have looked everywhere, even at Nature's Pharm, the new ALMOST all gluten free health food store in Castleton and no one carries it.

Does anyone know where to order it?
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:14 AM

Can you buy hazelnuts and grind your own?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:28 AM

Can you buy hazelnuts and grind your own?

If I could find a VERY affordable grinder, I could :)

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:45 AM

If I could find a VERY affordable grinder, I could :)

While I don't know if it would work, I bought a Mr. Coffee grinder model IDS77 (larger capacity) with 3 grind settings, which I used to try and make brown rice flour finer. I don't know how fine you need it...I bought some BRM almond meal/flour and I think I could grind it like that. Is that fine enough...or do you need a true flour? I've also used a blender to grind flax seed. I can't imagine spending a lot of money to buy an actual flour mill.

ETA: I think I could put in about 1/2 cup at a time so it's much larger than my Krups coffee grinder, which has only been used for coffee.
Sylvia

#5 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:57 AM

Thanks. I might try that :)

#6 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:00 AM

It has mixed reviews on Amazon (like everything else) and obviously is meant to grind coffee beans. But it's so cheap, I figured I had nothing to lose.
Sylvia

#7 vegoutpittsburgh

vegoutpittsburgh

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:12 AM

Food processor works as well!

#8 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:16 AM

Or possibly a blender, depending on how fine you need it.
Sylvia

#9 seashele2

seashele2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:54 AM

Where I buy my hazelnut flour is: http://www.holmquist...-lb__41603.aspx . If the link doesn't post, it is from holmquisthazelnuts dot com. Bob's Red Mill also makes hazelnut flour and that brand is available in most healthfood stores and regular grocery stores around me. It can also be ordered online at http://www.bobsredmi...flour-meal.html or on a m a z o n dot com. (The page wouldn't let that name post at all.)

I have tried making my own in my Magic Bullet, but I can never get the consistency correct. When I try to grind it finely, I have ended up making nice hazelnut butter or almond butter or sunflower butter or whatever I am trying to grind into flour. I am better off saving up money to order it "professionally" ground up. lol.

Michelle
Western Washington State

#10 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

BRM's almond meal is next to impossible to bake with. So, if you want to bake with it, I would suggest trying to get it finer than that.

Interestingly enough, as the previous poster mentioned, BRM has a hazelnut flour that appears to be non-blanched, and from the picture looks fine enough. Wish they would do that with their almond flour! :blink:
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#11 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:33 AM

BRM's almond meal is next to impossible to bake with. So, if you want to bake with it, I would suggest trying to get it finer than that.

Interestingly enough, as the previous poster mentioned, BRM has a hazelnut flour that appears to be non-blanched, and from the picture looks fine enough. Wish they would do that with their almond flour! :blink:

Oddly enough, I just went by Whole Food's and they have it now. It's $12.99. Pass.

I get Trader Joe's almond meal and bake biscuits with it all the time. Good. VERY affordable. Use other flours WITH it.

#12 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

I buy mine at NutsOnline.com.
I get their Almond flour too.
They also have Cashew flour which I am going to try next.
They grind it very fine...lovely stuff.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#13 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

Oddly enough, I just went by Whole Food's and they have it now. It's $12.99. Pass.

I get Trader Joe's almond meal and bake biscuits with it all the time. Good. VERY affordable. Use other flours WITH it.

Yeah, BRM + WF= expensive

I use TJ's ALL the time. $3.99/lb. Can't beat it, AND it still has the skins which I feel just adds even more nutritionally.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#14 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

I grind nuts in a blender all the time, just by putting in a 1/4 to a 1/2 cup at a time. It's an Oster Classic, and it's saved me a fortune in making nut flours. I pulse it a few times on high, and then whir it steadily a bit longer, it makes a nut meal pretty fast. I hope I don't jinx Old Reliable by praising it.

I don't have any trouble baking with it, it depends on the recipe and what you are making. It works very well in or on an oiled cast iron pan. I started out with just almond meal and have branched out to almond meal mixed with other gluten free flours, I tend towards trying to recreate a whole wheatish experience. ;)

I've made a lot of microwave breads with 1/2 almond and 1/4 sorghum 1/4 amaranth, with lemon juice and peel and poppyseeds or orange juice and peel and anise seed and honey. One egg and no gums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: