This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Where Do You Buy Hazelnut Flour?

freeatlast

freeatlast Collaborator

I have looked everywhere, even at Nature's Pharm, the new ALMOST all gluten free health food store in Castleton and no one carries it.

Does anyone know where to order it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Can you buy hazelnuts and grind your own?

freeatlast Collaborator

Can you buy hazelnuts and grind your own?

If I could find a VERY affordable grinder, I could :)

sa1937 Community Regular

If I could find a VERY affordable grinder, I could :)

While I don't know if it would work, I bought a Mr. Coffee grinder model IDS77 (larger capacity) with 3 grind settings, which I used to try and make brown rice flour finer. I don't know how fine you need it...I bought some BRM almond meal/flour and I think I could grind it like that. Is that fine enough...or do you need a true flour? I've also used a blender to grind flax seed. I can't imagine spending a lot of money to buy an actual flour mill.

ETA: I think I could put in about 1/2 cup at a time so it's much larger than my Krups coffee grinder, which has only been used for coffee.

freeatlast Collaborator

Thanks. I might try that :)

sa1937 Community Regular

It has mixed reviews on Amazon (like everything else) and obviously is meant to grind coffee beans. But it's so cheap, I figured I had nothing to lose.

vegoutpittsburgh Newbie

Food processor works as well!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Or possibly a blender, depending on how fine you need it.

seashele2 Newbie

Where I buy my hazelnut flour is: Open Original Shared Link . If the link doesn't post, it is from holmquisthazelnuts dot com. Bob's Red Mill also makes hazelnut flour and that brand is available in most healthfood stores and regular grocery stores around me. It can also be ordered online at Open Original Shared Link or on a m a z o n dot com. (The page wouldn't let that name post at all.)

I have tried making my own in my Magic Bullet, but I can never get the consistency correct. When I try to grind it finely, I have ended up making nice hazelnut butter or almond butter or sunflower butter or whatever I am trying to grind into flour. I am better off saving up money to order it "professionally" ground up. lol.

Michelle

Western Washington State

lizard00 Enthusiast

BRM's almond meal is next to impossible to bake with. So, if you want to bake with it, I would suggest trying to get it finer than that.

Interestingly enough, as the previous poster mentioned, BRM has a hazelnut flour that appears to be non-blanched, and from the picture looks fine enough. Wish they would do that with their almond flour! :blink:

freeatlast Collaborator

BRM's almond meal is next to impossible to bake with. So, if you want to bake with it, I would suggest trying to get it finer than that.

Interestingly enough, as the previous poster mentioned, BRM has a hazelnut flour that appears to be non-blanched, and from the picture looks fine enough. Wish they would do that with their almond flour! :blink:

Oddly enough, I just went by Whole Food's and they have it now. It's $12.99. Pass.

I get Trader Joe's almond meal and bake biscuits with it all the time. Good. VERY affordable. Use other flours WITH it.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I buy mine at NutsOnline.com.

I get their Almond flour too.

They also have Cashew flour which I am going to try next.

They grind it very fine...lovely stuff.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Oddly enough, I just went by Whole Food's and they have it now. It's $12.99. Pass.

I get Trader Joe's almond meal and bake biscuits with it all the time. Good. VERY affordable. Use other flours WITH it.

Yeah, BRM + WF= expensive

I use TJ's ALL the time. $3.99/lb. Can't beat it, AND it still has the skins which I feel just adds even more nutritionally.

Takala Enthusiast

I grind nuts in a blender all the time, just by putting in a 1/4 to a 1/2 cup at a time. It's an Oster Classic, and it's saved me a fortune in making nut flours. I pulse it a few times on high, and then whir it steadily a bit longer, it makes a nut meal pretty fast. I hope I don't jinx Old Reliable by praising it.

I don't have any trouble baking with it, it depends on the recipe and what you are making. It works very well in or on an oiled cast iron pan. I started out with just almond meal and have branched out to almond meal mixed with other gluten free flours, I tend towards trying to recreate a whole wheatish experience. ;)

I've made a lot of microwave breads with 1/2 almond and 1/4 sorghum 1/4 amaranth, with lemon juice and peel and poppyseeds or orange juice and peel and anise seed and honey. One egg and no gums.

Archived