4 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

November 2nd my Dr told me he thought I might have Celiac Disease. He told me to go Gluten free for a month and see how I felt. I felt great. Since then I've realized I'm definitely Celiac. During this time I've lost all the weight I had mysteriously gained before eliminating gluten. In November I was 173 pounds and now I'm 127. 127 is fine. I have been as low as 117 at which time everyone worried about me. Well now I'm thinking I need to eliminate a lot more food from my diet because May was a bad month for me and I know I'm doing something wrong. Friends here suggest eliminating processed foods. I'm not a cook and I'm not financially well off so if I eliminate all or most processed foods my eating options will be drastically reduced. I suspect I'll lose a lot more weight. At what point do I worry about this?

(I know technically cooked food is processed but I think my friends here mean processed before it gets to me.)

PS I don't like to eat meat, I'm in the process of going Vegetarian. I'm also Lactose intolerant so I can't have dairy.
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

November 2nd my Dr told me he thought I might have Celiac Disease. He told me to go Gluten free for a month and see how I felt. I felt great. Since then I've realized I'm definitely Celiac. During this time I've lost all the weight I had mysteriously gained before eliminating gluten. In November I was 173 pounds and now I'm 127. 127 is fine. I have been as low as 117 at which time everyone worried about me. Well now I'm thinking I need to eliminate a lot more food from my diet because May was a bad month for me and I know I'm doing something wrong. Friends here suggest eliminating processed foods. I'm not a cook and I'm not financially well off so if I eliminate all or most processed foods my eating options will be drastically reduced. I suspect I'll lose a lot more weight. At what point do I worry about this?

(I know technically cooked food is processed but I think my friends here mean processed before it gets to me.)

PS I don't like to eat meat, I'm in the process of going Vegetarian. I'm also Lactose intolerant so I can't have dairy.

Can you tolerate legumes ?? They are great source of vegetarian protein , carbs and a good source of calories.
http://www.fatfreeve...ree/index.shtml

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#3 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:37 AM

Can you tolerate legumes ?? They are great source of vegetarian protein , carbs and a good source of calories.
http://www.fatfreeve...ree/index.shtml

So far as I can tell, yes. :) I eat quite a few legumes. Thank you for the link. It all sounds great right now.
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#4 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:22 AM

I am not financially well off so if I eliminate all or most processed foods my eating options will be drastically reduced. I suspect I'll lose a lot more weight. At what point do I worry about this?

I would suggest that you be super diligent at watching your calories consumed . I did an elimination diet the beginning of the year and dropped 20 pounds in 6 weeks.
legumes are inexpensive and quick ( I buy the already cooked,canned ones but dried are even cheaper) and have a fairly high calorie count.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#5 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

I would suggest that you be super diligent at watching your calories consumed . I did an elimination diet the beginning of the year and dropped 20 pounds in 6 weeks.
legumes are inexpensive and quick ( I buy the already cooked,canned ones but dried are even cheaper) and have a fairly high calorie count.

I can't afford to lose 20 pounds. My Dr doesn't want me to lose more than one more pound. I think I could lose as much as 7 and still be okay, after that though I'm going to be looking really sickly. Right, so watch the calories and keep eating beans.
Tonight I had wild rice and navy beans. It tasted great. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: