catsmeow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

Oh no! Is blathering another symptom of Celiac? :lol:

Ha Ha Ha...funny!!!

Yes, It's better to not eat at gatherings. I've been successful with not eating at large gatherings.....but, I still blather............LOL
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

Wow...I took a long nap and woke up to all these great replies to my post. I was laughing, crying, saying aaawww, and totally feeling like I belong. I love that feeling. My tribe. My problem may be wheat allergy but you are my tribe. I can relate to everything everybody wrote.

I think that we tend you look for and believe that people around us share our conditions. I learned that from my sister. She has R.A. so she wanted me to get tested. She really freaked me out!!!!! She was sure I had it, I don't have it. I had a shoulder injury that just needed a little surgical intervention. I'm fine now, surgery fixed it. When I developed sleep apnea I did the same thing, still do, I thinks a lot of people have it....ALOT. And people are always saying that their husband, dad, brother Grandpa fits the symptoms of it when I tell them the symptoms.

The funny thing is, I never think people have a wheat allergy, but I do currently think that 3 people in my life have Celiacs.....which is a symptom of reading this forum.....LOL... I only share a couple of symptoms with celiacs, yet, we share all the same eating and social problems. But because I read this forum, I've been really super educated obout Celiac. The funny thing is, One of the three people I thought had Celiac (they thought I was nuts) had their doctor and a dermatologist tell them they were fairly certain they had it, so blood tests and a colonoscopy have been ordered. I've been saying "Celiac" for 6 months now! Yet, I about fell over when I learned that the docs agreed with me. I'll be curious to see the results. If they are positive, I will have my first newbie to mentor. Yep...reading this forum has been educational. And here it is "somewhere down the line" and I've helped someone.

Yes, it's true, when we learn something really intense, like having a baby, and caring for a baby, it consumes us, just like gluten free living does. Good point Elf baby.

I really love all the ways of telling whether your listener is bored. I was thinking about getting some conversation books that educates and trains us on all the body language and cues to look for. I remember learning one time that most people have a 30 second attention span. So, you need to be able to compress what you are saying in a 30 second span, or you lose the listener. I tested this on my brother and learned he has a 15 second attention span. I actually compressed everything into 15 seconds and saw relief on his ADHD face....LOL

Wow Notme, what a horrible camping trip. Note to self, take care of my own food if EVER in that situation. People who have no problem with wheat, don’t think anything about these things…..

You know Irish heart, maybe it wasn’t so bad, my husband said they were genuinely interested in what I had to say at the BBQ and I had them laughing really hard when I was telling them how uneducated people are about products that contain wheat. I’ve had so many people think I can eat white bread when I tell them I cannot eat bread that is made from wheat. To drive home my point, my favorite line is “so, if wheat bread is made from ground wheat, is white bread made from ground white? Is white a mystery grain crop?” They always get it and laugh laugh laugh, and understand how frustrating it can be to eat out, or eat at other people houses.

Darn210, I cannot wait to read that ceiling fan thing to my husband. He’s going to laugh and relate.

Takala-ha ha ha, ain’t that the truth. I never thought about everyone else on this board doing the whole container thing and tinfoil thing before. I feel so “not alone” Thank you…and it was also very funny!!! I loved the wiring story too. My husband is going to laugh!

Ha HA HA Irish heart…the toaster industry is booming. I recently donated 3 toasters to the Goodwill thanks to children not thinking before they toast. I have NO WHEAT, and gluten-free written in black perm marker on my newest toaster, so far so good…I would say I’m supporting the toaster industry!!!

Only the gluten impaired would yell this at their children “THINK BEFORE YOU TOAST kids”

I feel so much better. I think I’ll stop beating myself up. You guys are awesome….I think I luff you guys!!

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

That's why I come on here every day...validation, laughter, encouragement, knowledge, laughter, sometimes, tears...did I mention laughter?? I cried enough for a lifetime in the 3 years before I was DXed. No more!

Laughter!

Good for the soul :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

I suspect I'm the queen of blatherers! I'm gluten free since Nov 2nd 2010. Seems like I tell at least one person daily at work more than they could possibly want to know about Celiac. As a result some are really thoughtful. One co-worker gave me an orange the other day because she knew it was safe. :) On the other hand a co-worker handed me a used try from today's cookout and I unintentionally gave her an, "are you crazy!" look, but I think (hope) she missed it. I know I wasn't eating the tray or anything but my brain was analyzing it anyway wondering how dangerous it was in my hands, and thinking, "gee, I bet those tasted great". Honestly I know better. I ate at the cookout last year and it was awful. :)
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#20 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

I'm so guilty of this. Maybe you can find another outlet? We started a blog where we can talk as much as we want about it (link on my profile) :) Maybe another outlet would help you?
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#21 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

That's why I come on here every day...validation, laughter, encouragement, knowledge, laughter, sometimes, tears...did I mention laughter?? I cried enough for a lifetime in the 3 years before I was DXed. No more!

Laughter!

Good for the soul :)

I need to come on here more. Like you said, this validation stuff is good for the soul. I've been on a weight loss board a lot........blathering about wheat along with diet....Ha Ha

Wheat Allergy-April 2010

#22 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:59 PM

I suspect I'm the queen of blatherers! I'm gluten free since Nov 2nd 2010. Seems like I tell at least one person daily at work more than they could possibly want to know about Celiac. As a result some are really thoughtful. One co-worker gave me an orange the other day because she knew it was safe. :) On the other hand a co-worker handed me a used try from today's cookout and I unintentionally gave her an, "are you crazy!" look, but I think (hope) she missed it. I know I wasn't eating the tray or anything but my brain was analyzing it anyway wondering how dangerous it was in my hands, and thinking, "gee, I bet those tasted great". Honestly I know better. I ate at the cookout last year and it was awful. :)

OMGosh...me too. I absolutely doubt I could go even one day without mentioning it to someone. I've even tried, and couldn't do it. I blew it at the grocery store where instead of saying "no thank you" when offered a sample, I had to explain why......for me, not them!!!

I analyze touching wheaty items too. I actually get itchy hands and bumps if I do, then of course.......there's my attitude. If I can't eat it, why should I handle it? It reminds me of policing the area around our buildings for cigarette butts when I was a new troop in the military. Those of us who didn't smoke, were swearing while picking up those nasty icky gross cigarette butts.
We so hated cleaning up after the smokers.

Do you think if she noticed your look she would have said something? I hope she didn't notice, but I hope she realized her faux paux!!!!

Wheat Allergy-April 2010

#23 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

I'm so guilty of this. Maybe you can find another outlet? We started a blog where we can talk as much as we want about it (link on my profile) :) Maybe another outlet would help you?

Maybe so! I'll check it out!

Wheat Allergy-April 2010

#24 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:28 AM

Only the gluten impaired would yell this at their children “THINK BEFORE YOU TOAST”:

Love it! Good parents teach thier children to practice safe toasting! :unsure:

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:22 AM

Celiac.

Supporting the individual container, lunchbox, and portable ice cooler industry since 1995. :lol:

HAHAHAHA!!!!! This had me rolling around laughing! So true!
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: