#16 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

Hi NoodleUnit,

Just thought I'd let you know that the first day of the C25K program went really well today. I even did a few weights and a lot of stretching afterwards. I stopped before I got too tired and feel great now (about 3 hours later). It was soooooo good to work out and ENJOY it.

So, thank you very much for giving me the link to the C25K!! :D Hope you're feeling better.

Greenling

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

That's brilliant news Greenling :D I remember being surprised at how much of a burn I got after even just that first run/walk day.

I've just started back at work after 6 weeks convalescence. We went for our usual lunchtime 30 minute walk and it nearly did me in ( I'm still having the neuropathy, which makes my right leg fatigue quickly, it's slowly going away though ). Seems I have a loooong way to go, lol.

#18 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

Congratulations on being able to go back to work! And I hope that you enjoyed the walk and didn't suffer any ill effects the next day. Little by little....

I'm taking more rest days, so today I was "off" from exercise, but tomorrow I hope to be back at the gym.

#19 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

How're you getting on Greenling? I did my first Tai Chi class on Sunday morning. Not sure about it if I'm honest but I'll give it a few more classes before I make a decision about it. To be fair, I did feel pretty stiff afterwards despite it being mostly very slow moving :)

I do like the idea, I'm hoping that the reality becomes a bit more satisfying soonish. I'm guessing knowing only one step so far is a large part of that feeling though. :)

#20 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:26 AM

How're you getting on Greenling? I did my first Tai Chi class on Sunday morning. Not sure about it if I'm honest but I'll give it a few more classes before I make a decision about it. To be fair, I did feel pretty stiff afterwards despite it being mostly very slow moving :)

I do like the idea, I'm hoping that the reality becomes a bit more satisfying soonish. I'm guessing knowing only one step so far is a large part of that feeling though. :)

I hope the Tai Chi class becomes more what you're hoping for, NoodleUnit. I've always been intrigued by the idea of it, but haven't gotten to try it. I think the mental concentration aspect of it would be good for quieting stress. Hope your muscles loosen up soon (but, hey, they must have gotten some kind of workout).

I'm in Week 2 of the c25k. I did too much on Monday, so I ended up taking three rest days. The run/walk was going so well for me that Monday I decided to finish out the 5K distance--big mistake. Lesson learned! ;) So I'm going back to the prescribed 20 minutes. I may have to stretch Week 2 out a bit--I'll see how tomorrow goes. But I'm making progress.... Slowly, slowly, right?

#21 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

Exactly - just remember it's designed around the idea that you just repeat days/weeks if need be. I remember doing much the same as you early on. :)

#22 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

That's me got the go ahead to start some gentle exercise... I'm stretching the meaning of gentle to encompass the C25K, I think :) Will probably start at the weekend... if I get a good night's sleep tonight, I may even go tomorrow. How quickly are you recovering from your runs Greenling?

#23 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

That's great news, NoodleUnit! I'm so happy for you. :) Maybe we can work our way through the c25k together?? How's the Tai Chi coming along?

I ended up having to take 10 days off from running. I was starting to really search my diet to try and figure out what had brought back my fatigue, foggy head, apathy, etc., plus heat intolerance. Turns out my thyroid medicine was way too high (I have Graves' Disease, so my thyroid was removed two years ago). I've always had to take a megadose of the medicine because my body wouldn't consistently absorb (turns out that was the Celiac). So, now that I know what the problem is, I am overjoyed. Because this is the second time they've lowered my dose in the last two months (since I went Gluten-free), and if my body is absorbing it more efficiently, then I'm HEALING. :D So even though it makes me feel awful, it's a good sign of progress. Anyhow, I've been on the lower dose several days and I'm feeling better, so I went back to the gym this morning. The running was hard, but good. I'm travelling some this weekend and next week, so I'll be repeating Week 2 next week as well (and maybe for one more). But I'm getting there....

Hope your c25k attempts go well! Have a good weekend!

Greenling

#24 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hi Greenling

Sorry to hear about having to take a 10 day break, it sounds as though you have it sussed though. :) It's amazing that you can track the healing process like that though. Very demonstrable effect of going gluten free. Have you been following Wimbledon? Interesting to learn that Djokovich went gluten free after health issues and his performance just went through the roof. He seems unstoppable now.

As for Tai Chi, I'm going to give it a miss just now. It's not explosive enough for me even when I'm still recuperating. Daft, I know, but I think I need to go back to it when I'm in my 70's or something. :) I'll be doing Day One on Monday providing I can avoid eating anything stupid over the next day or so. Will keep you posted.

#25 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

Hi Greenling

Sorry to hear about having to take a 10 day break, it sounds as though you have it sussed though. :) It's amazing that you can track the healing process like that though. Very demonstrable effect of going gluten free. Have you been following Wimbledon? Interesting to learn that Djokovich went gluten free after health issues and his performance just went through the roof. He seems unstoppable now.

I did see that about Djokovich and it's quite amazing. I'm hoping the same happens to me. ;) I do have to say that the running I've been able to do is already faster than my best effort before (I was verrrry slow) and it's less effort (even starting back). So I do think there's a lot to be said for Gluten-free enhancing workouts (after a fashion).

As for Tai Chi, I'm going to give it a miss just now. It's not explosive enough for me even when I'm still recuperating. Daft, I know, but I think I need to go back to it when I'm in my 70's or something. :) I'll be doing Day One on Monday providing I can avoid eating anything stupid over the next day or so. Will keep you posted.

I can understand Tai Chi not being enough. I feel like I want to GO now that I'm getting better. I'll be re-doing Week 2 starting Wednesday (providing I don't mess up with food while travelling--I'm a little nervous about it). I'll look forward to hearing about your Week 1. Good luck!!

#26 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:31 AM

Day 1 done ;)

I took it very easy, by halfway through the run I was grinning from ear to ear... soooo nice to get the buzz again. I'll be taking it steady though.

http://runkeeper.com...tivity/41907929

Hope your travelling is going well :)

#27 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

Day 1 done ;)

I took it very easy, by halfway through the run I was grinning from ear to ear... soooo nice to get the buzz again. I'll be taking it steady though.

http://runkeeper.com...tivity/41907929

Hope your travelling is going well :)

Hi NoodleUnit,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I had no internet while travelling! It kind of puts me in a panic when I don't have tech (and then I start to think how unhealthy that is....). :)

I'm so happy that Week 1 is going well for you! :D I totally can relate to the grinning ear to ear because I'm doing the same thing. I must look like a loon on the treadmill some days. I'm intrigued by Runkeeper--going to have to look into that more.

I didn't get to run while travelling at all. I did get a lot of physical exercise (lots of casual walking and yardwork/gardening), but no workouts. I'm anxious to get back to the c25k next week. I'm going to pick up Week 2 and go from there. In the meantime, I feel really good (after 12 weeks Gluten-free). So yea!

Have a good weekend!

Greenling

#28 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

Hehe :)

Well that's week 1 complete now - I took my 5 year old daughter out with me (her on her bike) today and she got a good workout. It was obviously slower than I would normally like, but it was fun, relaxed and I still got a buzz. I've managed to do it, despite eating something that doesn't agree with; sore side, bit of neuropathy, arthritis. In fact, if anything, when I run, it all seems to go away

Glad you had a good time travelling and are starting to feel the gluten-free benefits.

As for runkeeper, it's one of many options if you have a smartphone. The reason I went for it is that it's the best app out there just now for adding custom intervals easily, making it a real boon for the c25k. It just tells me when to speed up and slow down, and I can just relax, listen to my music and lose myself in the run instead of constantly looking at my watch.

#29 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

NoodleUnit,

Sorry, it took me a bit to respond. I took a 'digital sabbatical' for a few days (since I'm off work for the summer). How's Week 2 treating you? Hope all is going well and your symptoms are subsiding even more.

I'm intrigued by the interval timing of runkeeper, but I don't have a smartphone. So I may investigate upgrading my heart-rate monitor to one that does that. For now, I'm running inside on a treadmill because it is VERY hot here and outside is not an option. I've done the first two days of Week 2 so far, will do day 3 on Friday. So far, so good, not brilliant, but not horrible either. ;) After I run, I keep walking so that I get closer to the 5K distance overall. Not there yet, but soon....

Hope all is well with you!

Greenling

#30 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:10 AM

Hi Greenling

Just completed week 2 today. Seem to be doing okay despite having had some food trouble ( I suspect that the culprit may be some olives stuffed with jalapenos - I have no trouble with chillies but I think the jalapenos may have been pickled with malt vinegar ).

Today's run was pretty slow tbh, but I had my daughter with me again. She struggled on the way out, but on the way back she managed to set a decent pace for me in one or two of the intervals. She's a little trooper though, and it's a real pleasure having her with me. My hope is she'll get stronger as I do and will be able to stay with me on my Saturday runs at least until I start doing a lot more running than walking.

I seem to be putting weight on, suspect it's a function of muscle being heavier than fat, hopefully that's what's happening anyway.

You still keeping it going?

NoodleUnit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: