85 replies to this topic

#46 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

Running was easier today (either because it was cooler or I've been on a lower dose of my thyroid meds for three days). I was a bit pressed for time, so no extra run/walk today. All in all, I'm optimistic that next week will be better. Don't know if I'll start Week 4 or repeat Week 3 again. It all depends on the heat intolerance. But I'm okay with it either way.

Hope you've both had good exercise days (or rest days). I'll be offline most of the weekend, so I'll catch up with you on Monday. Have a good weekend. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

Finally did Week 4 day 1 today. Boy that was a step up, doable, but still it pushed me a bit. It was ridiculously humid though, which made it pretty hard going. I'm doing distance intervals rather than time, so it took me to the 2 mile mark. And I'm now starting to see a significant pace improvement on the same stints from last year. In fact I'm almost the same speed now as I was a month after I finished the c25k last year, so I'm pretty hopeful of some good speed gains by week 9. Admittedly by then I was starting to get ill, but still, it was my fastest recorded pace.

The half-mile stints were, as you'd expect, the ones which really did for me. I wasn't feeling the "flow" of running that I was hoping for during them, rather I was just waiting for that beep to tell me I could stop. If I feel the same by day 3, then I'll repeat this week too. It's a decent strategy imo. Hopefully, the humidity and muggy, thundery weather will have disappeared by day 2 and I can give it a really good attempt.

I fell asleep on the sofa after dinner today. Something I never do, so it must have really taken it out of me.

Anyway

Hope you're doing well. :)

#48 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:07 PM

NoodleUnit, I had a pretty similar result and a similar plan for the rest of the week as you. :) But I was less successful--made it through the first three intervals (3, 5, 3), then had to stop due to abdominal cramps (it's that time of the month). The 5-minute one was tough and I was counting it down too (for the last 2.5 minutes!!). Very hot here (around 105F or 40C), so even running inside is not pleasant now. I'm hoping Day 2 is better and I can do the second 5-minute interval.

I'm impressed that you're doing half-miles stints for your longer intervals. In 5 minutes, I get about .4 mile. So good on you on improving your speed so much while picking up distance at the same time. Good luck with Day 2!

Wheeleez, hope you're doing well also!

#49 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:46 PM

friday, my 'workout' was going for a walk around our apartment complex w/ my husband and going across the street to Sonic to get their 'half- price drinks' during their 'happy hour'(me pushing him in his hospital wheelchair)

saturday ended up being a pretty busy day, and at one point emotionally and physically draining. For exercise, I did 10 mins on my mini- trampoline.

yesterday was a rest day.

Today, I was able to get to the gym and did W4D2 on the bicycle. it seemed a lot easier than the w4D1 workout I did on Thurs... I don't know if i wasn't pushing myself as hard (felt like I wasn't), or I lost track of the interval timing and that had an effect, or heaven knows what else. I'm also not as sore as I was after Thursdays workout (not necessarily complianing about that! :)) But anywho, it was great to be able to go and get a workout in.

NoodleUnit-- yes, W4D1 is a good lil step up, isn't it! sounds like you did pretty good, despite the heat & humidity--- man, that stuff can be tough to deal with sometimes!
I agree that repeating a week is a good strategy, if needed!

Greenling-- sounds to me like you did pretty good, considering the heat and those *lovely* cramps. On *those days, for me, sometimes I'm lucky if i canwalk, let alone do any type of a physical activity/ workout!!

Good night!
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#50 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

Heh, got sensible and went out first thing in the morning today. Nice and cool. We don't have anywhere near the heat problems you guys are having anyway, but this was a nice change from the warmth and humidity we've been having recently, particularly the humidity.

Anyway, had a blinder of a run, waaaay faster than Monday's. In fact it felt like I was running properly instead of plodding during my last intervals, although my legs were really heavy to begin with. Got a huge endorphin rush after it too. I was grinning like a loon towards the end and for a long time after.

I've had my first decent week in ages health wise. No silly glutenings, no willpower problems, and as such my energy levels seem to be on the up. Staying well, so that I can run well. Its probably my biggest motivation to be ultra careful with what I eat. I'd been in self-destruct mode with food, for the last month or so, especially when I had visitors last week.

Wheeleezdryver, did you find the next day easier? I'm finding that first day of the new week to be the real difficult one, then seem to surprise myself how well I do on day 2.

Hope you're both doing well.

Keep at it Greenling :)

#51 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hi NoodleUnit and Wheeleezdryver,

Sounds like you both have had really good weeks. I'm so happy for you both. It's like turning a corner, isn't it?

I had an okay week. I never got my running off the ground (hello, Week 3 again!), but my weights went well. My legs felt heavy when running a bit (and I was having trouble with muscle stiffness and tightness), but it's my breathing more than anything. So I did shorter intervals, but at least I'm still running. :)

Had an appt. with my Dr. Friday afternoon with mostly good results: She lowered my thyroid meds again (so I'm absorbing much better than before). This should help with the heat intolerance and breathing problems (as well as the muscle tightness). I'm also beginning Vitamin D supplements now (since I can't go outside much due to the heat intolerance). All of this points to healing as I never would have been "overdosed" (let alone, waaaaaay overdosed) before at this level of medication. We've now lowered my dose 4 times in four months!! So, I'm telling myself to just be patient, wait another week for things to even out a bit, and then try bumping the running up. In the meantime, I'm going to repeat Week 3 again.

In other good news, it's cooling off here!! Highs this week forecasted for the high 80s, low 90s. So that will be a relief. Plus we got rain. So, it's nice to no longer be baking everyday.

Hope you both have good weekends!! And best of luck if you're starting Week 5 next week.

Greenling

#52 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

Hi again.

Got to say greenling, I can't imagine how I would cope with doing weights on top of this right now. My good runs are always the ones when I've had a two day break and I don't do any other training although I have considered it.

I did day 3 today ( one day rest ) and it was horrible. My legs and lungs were on fire by the end. Now part of that, I'll admit, is because I had a couple glasses of wine last night, but still a far cry from the endorphin rush I had on Thursday. I was only marginally slower than the previous run and there was double the climbing to be done, but I really found it very hard. So kudos to you for doing both things right now.

I'm going to wait and see how I feel on Monday morning before I decide if I'm going to go to week 5 or repeat week 4.

It's really good news that you're healing so well though. It must be like a weight off your shoulders. :)

#53 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

Hi NoodleUnit,

Thanks, it is a relief to know I'm healing (even if the side effects kind of drive me crazy). I think the weights would normally be a lot harder for someone to pick back up, but I've lifted for about 15 years. So even though I stopped doing them as often when I was super sick, I never stopped completely. Right now, they're easier for me than cardio. :)

I totally agree with you on the rest for cardio. I can't do it back-to-back and my best days are after two days rest also. It's a funny thing, this "coming back to exercise post-diagnosis". I never know quite what to blame on recovery and what to blame on getting older or being out of shape. :D

Good luck on Monday with your run. I'll be plugging away too.

Greenling

#54 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

i ended up having a not so good week. (I hate pre- PMS, PMS, and all that jazz)
Tuesday all I could do was 10 mins each on the bike & elliptical and arm weights.
Wed & Thurs I wasn't feeling up to doing anything.
Friday I repeated Tuesday's workout.
and i've taken yesterday & today off.

will see how I'm feeling tomorrow.

greenling, that is awesome that you're healing (that's a nice feeling, isn't it?!), and yor thyroid meds are being absorbed so much better, so your dosage keeps getting lowered!
How long have you been on thyroid meds, and how long have you been gluten- free?
I was diagnosed hypothyroid in Srping 2004, had symptoms for a year before (but couldn't afford a dr...), and have been on meds ever since. I would have to say, looking back, that my thryoid mess was probably one of the first issues that were probably caused by gluten (but, of course, I didn't know it back then!). Over they years, other things started creeping up (some of which have already started getting better since i went gluten free). Then about a year ago, i figured out the gluten issues. Haven't had to lower my thyroid dosage yet... would be nice if it happens, but I'm okay if it doesn't (especially since there's so many years of damage). :)
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#55 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:06 AM

I'll be repeating week 4 as well I think. I tweaked my back yesterday ( I basically sneezed as I twisted to get out of bed ), so now I'm waiting for my back to stop twitching :(

Think I'll just aim for 2 runs this week assuming my back is better by tomorrow.

#56 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

Hi NoodleUnit and Wheeleezdryver,

I hope you're both feeling better. It is definitely a good idea to rest rather than overdo. Otherwise, those bumps in the road to getting healthy can get bigger. Maybe extra stretching would be helpful?

I finally have good news to report. :) Today I completed Week 4, Day 1 with a medium amount of difficulty. I'm so happy (as I was kind of going backwards there for a while)! I think a number of factors helped here: it was much cooler (70 degrees this morning), the lower dose of meds, and two days rest. So I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to make progress again. I'll try Week 4 stuff Wednesday again and see how it goes. I already know I'll be repeating Week 4 next week as I have to make up some ground.

Wheeleezdryver, in answer to your question....

greenling, that is awesome that you're healing (that's a nice feeling, isn't it?!), and yor thyroid meds are being absorbed so much better, so your dosage keeps getting lowered!
How long have you been on thyroid meds, and how long have you been gluten- free?
I was diagnosed hypothyroid in Srping 2004, had symptoms for a year before (but couldn't afford a dr...), and have been on meds ever since. I would have to say, looking back, that my thryoid mess was probably one of the first issues that were probably caused by gluten (but, of course, I didn't know it back then!). Over they years, other things started creeping up (some of which have already started getting better since i went gluten free). Then about a year ago, i figured out the gluten issues. Haven't had to lower my thyroid dosage yet... would be nice if it happens, but I'm okay if it doesn't (especially since there's so many years of damage). :)

...I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease (hyperactivity) in 2000, but I was never a 'textbook case'. My thyroid was removed in 2008, but in order to keep symptoms under control (namely an inflammatory response from the uncontrolled Celiac), I had to take "mega-doses" of Synthroid (225 mcg!). One of the first things the doctors told me when I was diagnosed with Celiac is that my dose would go down as I started to absorb better. And it really has. In four months (I went Gluten-free mid-April, was diagnosed Celiac mid-May), my dose has decreased from 225 to 137. So I'm very happy about it as it's my own personal barometer of healing (and I feel like I'm not so up-down-up-down now). But your dose might not change as much or at all (since I assume you're not on a hefty dose now). :) However, if they're not regularly monitoring it, you might have your TSH checked every so often.

#57 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

I was feeling a bit better today, but not up to doing intervals, so I did 1 mile on the elliptical (about 18 mins) and 1/2 mile on the bike (about 15 mins). timewise, probably spent about the same amount of time as I did on last Monday's C25k workout. I also did arm weights again today.

NoodleUnit-- stuff like that is no fun! Hope it gets feeling better soon!

Wheeleezdryver, in answer to your question....

...I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease (hyperactivity) in 2000, but I was never a 'textbook case'. My thyroid was removed in 2008, but in order to keep symptoms under control (namely an inflammatory response from the uncontrolled Celiac), I had to take "mega-doses" of Synthroid (225 mcg!). One of the first things the doctors told me when I was diagnosed with Celiac is that my dose would go down as I started to absorb better. And it really has. In four months (I went Gluten-free mid-April, was diagnosed Celiac mid-May), my dose has decreased from 225 to 137. So I'm very happy about it as it's my own personal barometer of healing (and I feel like I'm not so up-down-up-down now). But your dose might not change as much or at all (since I assume you're not on a hefty dose now). :) However, if they're not regularly monitoring it, you might have your TSH checked every so often.

wowzers, Greenling, you've had some crazy stuff to deal with there! i can see why your dosage would be going down so fast!!
Ever since I found the right dosage years ago, I've pretty much been on 125 or 150 Levothyroxine (I was originally on Synthroid, but switched to Levo b/c it is cheaper) ever since... 150 is where I am now (so, you're actually on a little lower dose than me!!!).... i think that's been my dosage the whole time I've been gluten-free (1 year), but it may have been 125 this time last year, I can't remember. My Dr usually checks my thyroid levels about every six months (more often if there's been a recent dosage change), but, looking at my prescription bottle, it may be another 9 months until they retest (I get the 3 month refills, and it says on the bottle '3 refills before 6/12-- maybe they didn't realize I was getting a 3 month dosage (similar has happened before). I will most likely be seeing her in the next month or two, for my anti- depressants, so if I feel I need to, I can have them test my thyroid levels then. We'll see what happens, no matter what.

#58 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

Hi again you two :)

The back is better, just about.

I actually managed to do week 5 day 1 yesterday but it was sooo hard. I'm very much playing it by ear just now. I may just repeat day 1 once more again this week ( possibly friday ) and leave it at that until next week. Looking at day 2 and day 3 it's a serious week. I'm on holiday for two weeks from Monday so I'll have the time to rest and recuperate. I get up at 6am for my work every morning, yet am apparently physically incapable of going to bed before 12 at night so end up only getting 6 hrs a night, which is really affecting recovery.

I also seem to be suffering from a little bit of persistent right-side neuropathy and quite painful arthritic pain and clicking in my right hand. The neuropathy is causing my right leg to fatigue and tighten towards the end of my half mile intervals while the left has no issues. I'm also a bit paranoid that it may have been related to my back issues, as that was on my right side too. This is deeply frustrating as I'm predominantly right sided. I can't figure it out though, as I've eliminated the common bad foods now, and I'm not getting the telltale abdominal pain ( this is good news at least ) that usually signals to me that I'm eating something harmful to me. Maybe I'm now down to the base symptoms of the damage done to my system and I have to just wait and hope...

I'll maybe do a separate post about it in the fitness forum. Long story short though, I need to strengthen my right side considerably so that I can cope with simple things like running and weights. I'm using a PowerBall to help with my grip now.

#59 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

Hi,

Hope you're both enjoying your workouts and your weekend.

Wheeleez, hope you're feeling better as "that time" ends. Sounds like you're still getting in some good exercise. Are you staying with Week 4 or moving on to Week 5?

NoodleUnit, I looked at Week 5 and just about swallowed my tongue--that's a big step up! I'm sorry to hear that your right side is causing you problems. I don't know if you've done much strength-training in the past, but I'd recommend exercises that target one side at a time (free weights are good), but still allow you to support/stabilize the working muscles. When I was recovering from knee surgery (right side), I used to do the machines more and I used my left side to do most of the work (I'm left-handed). I ended up being rather unbalanced strength-wise. When I worked more with free weights and forced each side to lift its share, it was very eye opening.

As for me, I did Week 4 twice and then my gym closed Thursday-Sunday to move to their new location, so no workouts for me. I'll try Week 4 again this week and see how it goes. Still feeling well, but work is about to get very crazy for me (I teach university and supervise instructors). Classes start in a week, with meetings this week. So my responses may be a bit sporadic for a while until I find a routine that works. Wish me luck as I'll need to be very organized with carrying food!

Greenling

#60 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

well, i've tried to post twice now, but keep loosing the post.... maybe the 3rd time will be the charm! I'll keep this short :)

wasn't feeling super most of this week (due to different issues, this time) so only wroked out 4 days. and only did c25k one day-- and it was on the bike.
when I'm feeling up to doing it again (maybe this week, maybe not-- it's a day to day thing for me, so I'll have to see), i will definately do week 4 again.

Greenling- I'm a southpaw, too! :)

TTYL! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: